“Overpriced and underwhelming”

The Farm Table
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Bernardston
Cuisines: American, French, Gastropub, Wine Bar
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Farm Table offers honest nourishment for the body and elegant respite for the soul. Look around you. The candlelit spaces, open-hearth oven, and comforting fireplaces speak wordlessly of a quieter, simpler time in New England history.
Hadley, Massachusetts
“Overpriced and underwhelming”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

The meals were so disappointing. We had really looked forward to eating at The Farm Table.
All 5 of us were extremely disappointed. The prices are very high for the quality of the food.
We don't mind paying higher prices if the quality is there - but this wasn't the case with The Farm Table. The restaurant was quite empty despite the fact that it was Father's Day. The decor is very nice but the food was quite a disappointment. We won't be going back.
The swordfish was alright but the portion size was extremely small. The accompanying side dish of lentils was uninspired. The rib eye steak ($31.00 does not include a salad, just potatoes) was over-cooked despite a request for medium. My pork chop dinner had a terrible smoked flavor even though that was not listed on the menu. All 5 of us were very disappointed and will not be returning.

2 Thank WesternMass M

massachusetts
“Excellent Food, not as relaxing an atmosphere as I'd like”
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Go for the food. It was really the best dinner I've had in the area in recent years (the salmon with quinoa). My husband had the pork chop, which I tasted- also amazing. They have a hell of a chef at the Farm Table. The decor is beautiful, but there's almost a contrived-faux-rustic thing going on. I felt more like I was on the set of a film shooting a rustic but charming tavern scene, than actually in a rustic tavern. I also felt like the waitstaff was overly scripted. My husband will say I'm in the minority on all of this and that they are just beaving in a typical upscale dining establishment manner, but to me it doesn't suit the country atmosphere that they are also trying to convey. It didn't feel authentic. Still, the decor is gorgeous and I imagine it wil be even more so in the Fall and Winter when there's a fire roaring in the fireplace. They are doing so many things right they are sure to succeed. Hopefully the "authenticity" will come in time, as the staff and management get more experienced and comfortable in their roles.

Wilbraham, Massachusetts
“sadly underwhelming”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I've been dying to try The Farm Table. I wanted to love it. I really did. But it proved unloveable. My husband, daughter and I visited last weekend. First, the restaurant is suffering an identity crisis. Servers in jeans and gingham wait on you in a rustic, pretty setting but the menu aims to be more upscale, with prices to match. We made a reservation and were to be seated in the middle of an empty room. We asked the hostess to move us to a window table and this proved to be something that had to be checked and rechecked. (The dining room we were in remained empty throughout our meal, save for 2 other tables-so what was the issue?) Our server was very sweet but seemed quite nervous. We checked out both the dinner and children's menu; the latter is quite limited and somewhat odd. Appetizer was good, fried oysters were delicious on a bed of tart vinagrette dressed salad greens. The cajun sauce drizzled on the oysters was less successful, the heat mainly tasting of black pepper. My salmon entree was well cooked but the quinoa promised as a side dish was not in evidence and was replaced by somewhat greasy fingerling potatoes. My husband's crab cake entree was delicious. Daughter stymied the waitress by ordering the grilled cheese without the ham-but when it arrived it was good. Walnut bread and a cheddar onion bread were served with the meal but it would have been nice to have a simpler option. We did not try dessert. Beware the organic soda-these thimble sized drinks added 12.50 to our tab and there are few other options, and no calorie free options for those who may like or need them as a dietary option. The tab was nearly 100.00$, which much exceeded tabs we have paid for much better meals. I have no objection to paying good money if the food and atmosphere are worth it. Sadly this was not. One unfortunate housekeeping note-though the restaurant was visually immaculate, there were so many flies in the place as to be disconcerting-my husband had the unenviable task of slaying 4 of them during dinner as they were so persistent. I know it's in the countryside, but there must be a way to improve this situation.

2 Thank limsgirl
massachusetts
“Great lunch”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I had lunch today at The Farm Table with my 3 year old son. I have wanted to try on several times during my visits to Kringle Candle but never had the chance. First of all, the design of the space is quite lovely (including the bathroom!). But...the food was pretty superb. I had the local, in season, asparagus and many mushroom risotto. I make risotto but mine is never this good. I also had the soup of the day which was a cream of tomato and was yummy. Coffee was very good too if you like strong coffee - which I do. Service was a tad slow but we went very early and the server kept apologizing for the slow service which does help and my son was behaving so I was okay with it. We live a decent distance from the restaurant so I don't know if we could make it for dinner but would love to try it.

Massachusetts
“Great Brunch”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We had brunch there Sunday, and it was a wonderful surprise. In the sleepy little town of Bernardston, this is a big city quality place. The decor and menu are very upscale, as are the prices. We tried the breakfast pizza - which was tasty and interesting, served on a wooden plank. A lot of attention to detail, great service, and good food. We sat outside on a sparkling sunny spring day - it doesn't get much better than this.

• Visited May 2012