“Perfect for NMH families”

The Inn at Crumpin-Fox
Ranked #1 of 1 Bernardston B&B and Inns
Tokyo, Japan
“Perfect for NMH families”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My daughter went to Northfield Mt Hermon School and we stayed several times at the Inn over the years. While not a luxury property, it was extremely clean and welcoming, with an excellent (free) continental breakfast. I hear the Trustees of the school stay there every meeting, so they must regard it as well as I do. It is the closest hotel to the school and many other parents stay there and it is always nice to meet them. It is nestled in a wooded area and yet is very conveniently placed near the highway.

Room Tip: Actually there is no fitness center or child activities, and I could not erase my rating on it, so I...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank johnfv

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed May 24, 2014

I'm disappointed by the changes in this once comfortable Inn. I've stayed here at least 6-7 times over the past few years as my son attends school nearby. The first change was the price. I used to pay $84 a night and now the price JUMPED to $159.
The second change was the cleanliness and state of order. This past visit we were in a handicapped room as it was the only one available. The shower was challenging as it was set low for a wheelchair, but deal-able. What was gross was the fact that it didn't drain. I called the front desk...they are friendly and came immediately with a plunger. The manager blamed it on the lever malfunctioning, but in actuality it was clogged with debris since sediment and dirt was left behind (after he left and tub completely drained).
There was a spider in the bed, which is nature but I didn't feel the room was as clean as before.
The property was completely under construction and not made to look "under construction" as my husband saw a picture and actually thought it was a crime scene.
I'm sad this property went downhill. See my photos.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank NJBetsy
InnKeepers2014, Manager at The Inn at Crumpin-Fox, responded to this review, May 17, 2015
Good Afternoon NJBetsy,

We would like to extend the opportunity to welcome you back to our newly completed renovated and welcoming country Inn.

When you were here as our guest for the busiest holiday weekend of the year in May of 2014, without a reservation, the facility was in the heart of major renovations to improve the overall Inn. Specifically all the public areas, including the outdoor courtyard, the addition of a new hospitality room for all our guest to enjoy, along with improvement s to each guest room have now been completed.

The pictures that you had taken in late May of 2014 and posted back in June of 2014 show the beginning of this major project that has resulted in all the wonderful improvements that our regulars now rave about.

As many know and understand with construction, improvements and renovations brings some dust, minor inconveniences and at times a spider that has been woken up from their comfortable outdoor home.

We sincerely apologize for your last experience not meeting your expectations and can only hope that you would stop in to at least see the finished product.

We appreciate your patronage in the past and wish your son and yourself the very best.

Warm Regards,
The Keepers of the Inn
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I was visiting my son at a nearby school with my daughter and granddaughter. From my son's description of the area I was not expecting too much. However, the Inn was a very pleasant surprise! Our room was very clean, and smelled clean, too. The bathroom was also very clean and we had to tell my 3 year old granddaughter that the blue water in the toilet was not a bad thing. The bed was comfortable and the sheets were crisp. We all had a good night's sleep.
In the morning we enjoyed coffee, yogurt, fruit, and fresh baked muffins in the reception area.
Definitely recommend the Inn.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank LDunn2013
Bernardston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This place is independent and family owned and it shows! The General Manager was above & beyond incredible... you could tell he genuinely cared about our comfort and satisfaction. The wifi is strong and free, and they even have a computer and printer you can use free of charge.

The rooms are great, and even have a recycling bin! We couldn't have been more pleased!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Debra B
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 27, 2013

The inn is under new management and the couple running it are doing a terrific job. Ownership is spending money to fix areas of concern and creating more communal space. This is your best value in the area, compared to other establishments in Greenfield and South Deerfield which are overpriced or filled with non- travelers.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank homeryah
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We took this place with no advance notice except that my sister-in-law and her husband always stay there when visiting their daughter nearby.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the level of professionalism demonstrated in the amenities, facilities, and staff at this very small location (29 rooms on three floors).

We could not get a room for the entire stay that we wanted but Erin and Tony did all they could to accommodate us, allowing us to leave for one night and then return for the remaining two days of our stay. We realized our request was very short notice and ran over Columbus Day weekend, the height of the leaf peeper season.

Room Tip: I cannot help most people here because we had one of the handicapped accessible room. It is fully eq...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Richard L
austin
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This Inn is interesting. If you want insects in your room, by all means, stay here. With the exception of customer service, the Inn leaves a lot to be desired.

The Inn is a somewhat older building and it is in the great outdoors, surrounded by trees. When we first arrived (late at night) the lady working the front desk was waiting for us. She promptly got us checked in. However, we had two children with us (one in a stroller), and lots of luggage. Our room was located on the lower level, and there was no elevator. So, we had to carry everything down two sets of stairs.

There are lights on the outside of the building between each of the rooms. As I mentioned, it was dark when we arrived at the Inn. When we finally made it to our room, the entrance to our room was surrounded by moths, mosquitoes, and a number of other bugs. We had to fight our way through a cloud of bugs in order to enter our room. I do understand that bugs will be outside the rooms, as the Crumpin Fox is an inn in the woods, but the amount of bugs outside the doors was unacceptable, and there are some things which can be done to remedy or alleviate this problem.

We entered the room and it had two nice beds. It looked ok. Then, I looked closer.

The first problem is that the room was not clean. The carpet was ok and there was no smell. However, we found several hairs in the bathroom and living and dead insects everywhere. One dead insect was located under the sink and I waited the several nights we were there to see if maid service would get it. I even left a small piece of paper next to it to see if they would clean it and the maid did not. The ceiling of the room had cob webs and spider webs. Yes, I had to kill more than one spider lurking on the ceiling. How hard would it be for maid service to clean the ceiling every day or week? You know you have a problem with insects so train staff to watch for that. The good thing is the beds were on rollers so one day we moved them together for the kids. But guess what was lurking under our bed. . .a soiled pair of men's (I think) underpants. Disgusting! Clearly, (again) maid service did not adequately clean this room. Behind the bed was this wooden type of box. I dare not think of what could have been living in it.

As I indicated earlier, when you open the door at night, you have to open and close quickly or expect mosquitoes to come into your room. We also saw ants on more than one occasion in the bathroom. Overall, if I have a room with a bug infestation, I must give it a score of one star.

But there is more. When you first arrive and park, you realize the property is in general disrepair. In the parking lot, on the way to the check in, there is an arch which, in the daytime, you can see huge spiderwebs with spiders on it. I understand the whole nature thing, but a taller person could walk into the spiderweb. Again, there were no elevators. So, if you return to the Inn tired, you still have to walk down two sets of stairs. Is the Inn ADA compliant? I can't say, but I am glad we did not have a wheel chair guest with us. And when you are leaving, you have to walk up two sets of stairs with luggage.

There is a soda machine near the front of the building. While we were there, yes, a spider had set up a web near the area you put your coins in. And during that time, it was never cleaned.
Two more serious issues are potentially dangerous conditions. First, there appears to have been a pool at one point on the main level which is now strangely filled with dirt. Amazingly distasteful but that is an aesthetic point. The real concern is that there is an old grate, which probably is there to catch water from the pool, that runs perpendicular to it. This grate is extremely dangerous as you can catch a heel in it and fall. Also, there is another spot in this area where the ground is not flush and I almost fell. Another safety issue is near the soda machine, where nearby there is a broken exposed portion of wall with the grate hanging off. On the other side are exposed plug-ins which a child could touch. Just put the recycling can in front of this. These are all potentially dangerous conditions for guests. Additionally, there are tacky flower pots everywhere and when I was checking out, carrying my baggage up the stairs, a guy was watering the flowers (as opposed to helping clean rooms and fix things), and he actually dropped water onto my head. I just hope no chemicals were in the water. I guess I should have been happy it was not a flower pot that fell.

The beds were comfortable and water in the shower was fine. The room was quiet at night and the morning breakfast was nice. Location is good near the highway. One employee was a guy and he was quick to respond to any issues like needing towels, etc. and the lady who checked us in was nice. I would probably have left a higher score and recommendations but because of the insects in the room, lack of proper maid service, and potentially dangerous conditions I cannot.

Overall, my impression is the owner tried to spend money to improve this inn. They focused on many small points. However, it was a fail. There are a lot of things that still need to be focused on. I suggest that management focus more on cleaning the rooms as opposed to watering flowers and arranging a pile of dirt in what used to be a swimming pool. If that was done, I could improve my score, probably up to a three star. Also, not sure if this is why but if you have some issue with spraying for bugs, there are things you can do to keep insects away from rooms or the lights on the outside of the rooms. Lastly, I felt the price was significantly high.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the main level. Don't go swimming in the pool because its filled with dir...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tripnexus
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bernardston
Hampton Inn & Suites Greenfield
#2 of 5 in Greenfield
Red Roof PLUS+ South Deerfield
Red Roof PLUS+ South Deerfield
#1 of 1 in South Deerfield

Been to The Inn at Crumpin-Fox? Share your experiences!