“if it is DANCE, look no further”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jacob's Pillow

Jacob's Pillow
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Becket
Montreal, Canada
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“if it is DANCE, look no further”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

we attend jacob's pillow annually and this year we saw a canadian show called LA OTRA ORILLA and it was the most creative and lively combination of singing, dancing, choreography and music you can hope to see, hear and feel!!!!
It is sort of a revolutionary form of flamenco dancing done quebecois style, if you know what I mean.......WOW

2 Thank arnaldo

South Jersey
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Fabulous beyond belief!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

If you enjoy watching dance, and can get yourself to Jacob's Pillow, it is a must see. A friend of my daughter is a member of Mystic Ballet (mysticballet.org) and they performed on the Inside/Out Stage at Jacob's Pillow on Wednesday night. I often vacation in the Berkshires, so it was easy to say, "Let's go!" We went back on Thursday night and saw a contemporary dance, which was also wonderful. On past Berkshires trips, we've missed getting there for one reason or another. Well, it was awe inspiring and I plan to go back whenever I can. The Inside/Out Stage is outdoors, with the mountains as backdrop. Unbelievable views. People of all ages were there, some with a picnic dinner. The grounds are beautiful and you can walk around to see the different things they have: photography exhibit, dance classes, museum, gift shop, cafe and more. There are indoor stages where you have to pay for a ticket, but the Inside/Out Stage is always free. There are performances there Wed-Sat evenings. Be sure to check their website at http://www.jacobspillow.org/ for dates. They have a limited season during the summer. There are hotels in the area that have reasonable rates for mid-week, so you can spend a night or two and see a few performances. I highly recommend it!!

New York
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“"A delightful interlude"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The location is beautiful and the dance sublime. The facilities are more than adequate. Even the sandwiches at the snack bar exceeded expectations. As a bonus, the summer dance school was rehearsing their performance with young dancers from all over the world. An all-around treat!

Deadwood, South Dakota
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“"Vertigo" from Canada at Jacobs Pillow”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

It was an hour without an intermission and that was probably wise because if there had been an intermission, at least half the audience would have left. I was in that group. There was enthusiastic applause at the end and all I could think was - did they see the same performance I saw?

I LOVE dance. I thought I loved any kind of dance. This performance proved me wrong. 60 minutes of a driving, monotonous, loud percussion with occasional asynchronous screeches. My friend said she had a splitting headache at the end. I was wondering when it would ever end.

And the dance? It seemed to me like the kind of spontaneous, not very talented dance I had done the day before at a Nia class. Fine for exercise for me - but for a performance? Did the dancers intend to be slightly out of sync when they did a group exercise, or were they just not practiced enough? And what about the way that dancers bodies are always so attractive? The red underwear didn't flatter anyone, nor the grey sweats they wore before that.

This was my first visit to the Pillow. I hope their other artists are better. It shows I should have looked up reviews before booking - but I've actually seen some good reviews of this show. Not my taste, that's for sure.

1 Thank mmmm924
Arlington, Massachusetts
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The World of Dance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

There is no way to fully describe what it is like to go to Jacob's Pillow in Becket, MA. If you like to see dance and want to spend time surrounded by beauty, I strongly recommend getting tickets to one of the performances at the Pillow. You also can attend free dance performances by Pillow students several evenings a week at Inside Out, which is an outdoor stage overlooking the Berkshires. At the end of the performance, students sit on the stage and answer audience questions. Jacob's Pillow is a cultural event that must be seen.