The Jenkins' Inn is ideally situated in the small yet charmingly quaint town of Barre. The Inn's owner's, Joe and David, are the perfect hosts and very talented and knowledgeable at what they do. What a wonderful experience for me...
First, the Inn itself:
1) The Inn is very historically interesting and updated with the more modern amenities (flat panel TV's on the wall, DVD players, etc.). All rooms are tastefully and delightfully decorated and not too overdone. The towels and sheets are fantastic quality, and there are plenty of towels. The common areas in the Inn are very well laid out. There is a bar/lounging area (the Salon), a reading room with computer, a gift area with an incredible array of New England gifts and other teas, culinary and sweet delights and treats of interest. Plenty of space for an Inn with - I believe - five bedrooms (including one suite). The beds are absolute sheer heaven and with luxury bedding. I also loved being able to raise and lower the windows, as they were not painted shut as in other places. Room temperatures are also controlled by individual room thermostat, which was very nice as I like it colder than Siberia when I sleep. Also, WiFi in every room.
2) The resturant: FABULOUS! The food is some of the best I have enjoyed. Breakfast is included in your rate and is a full breakfast. Fantastic coffee, a wide variety of teas served in the proper way, probably six or seven breakfast items to choose from, breakfast meats, breads, etc. Lunch and Dinner were superb every time. Service was spot on. I think Joe did the cooking and David waited on tables. They had their timing down pat. After 20 years in the business, they know their stuff. The dining room is very tastefully decorated as well and nothing is overlooked. Try the Pumpin and Tomato soup or the Creamy Corn Chowder, the house-made salad dressings, and any of the Entrees. I loved the Salmon with chutney and the Lobster Ravioli in Cream Sauce.
3) The hosts: Joe and David are very kind and thoughtful without being at all intrusive or "put out". You know you are staying in their home/business, but you are never made to feel that you are a bother - as it should be - and I have experienced this at other B&B's. I wish there were a Joe and David at every B&B where I stay, because as a single woman traveling alone, they always made me feel comfortable and very welcomed.
I would recommend taking an R & R trip to Barre just to relax at the Jenkins' Inn and nothing else except perhaps visit the Lake nearby. The Gardens and landscaping at the Jenkins' Inn are superb. I was so chilled out just being in these surroundings. I believe they have a "no children under 10" policy. As a business and pleasure traveler, I appreciate this. Perhaps I am mistaken on this rule, but there were no children there when I was there, and it was busy. Yet we were not all on top of one another. The nice layout of the home took care of the spaciousness.
I simply can not say enough good things about The Jenkins' Inn, and would highly recommend a stay there when in or near Barre.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- c.1834 Gothic revival on the historic town common in the center of Massachusetts. Four beautifully decorated rooms with comfort and functionality for today's guests...Private bath, full breakfast and wi-fi are just a few of the amenities of our inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA and Priceline so you can book your The Jenkins Inn & Restaurant reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Jenkins Inn And Restaurant
- The Jenkins Inn & Restaurant Hotel Barre