“Good for the area”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, Bar
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Given the area, this was an excellent choice. They feature local produce. I had the shrimp, crab and pasta in a creamy sauce. It was very good, though I never did find the crab. The serving size was large. Two in our party had a shrimp and pasta dish off the specials board. Very tasty and better then the menu selection. Another had the steak. It was cooked perfectly, but was very chewy. I'd stick to a steak house for a good steak. The bread served before dinner was rather plain and not enhanced by the oil mix, also bland. Service was good, if some what slow.

1  Thank johnm150

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Picasso accepted a reservation for a retirement party of 14 and when we arrived they sat us at two separate tables and refused to rearrange the tables to accommodate us. When we asked them to re-consider their answer was a flat "NO".

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Recently I was visiting Barre, Massachusetts for an upcoming graduation and my daughters took me to this restaurant for Mother’s Day. Since I travel extensively and have spent the last four years living in the Washington DC area I did not have an expectation that the restaurant would be as remarkable as those I have been fortunate enough to experience in my travels, Boy was I wrong.

We were greeted at the door and immediately seated by the friendly host, I should mention we did not have a reservation. The restaurant's decor was warm and welcoming. Our waitress came shortly after we were seated and went over all the specials that were being offered. She explained each of the dishes. Chef owner Ari Puliese came to the table to welcome us. He had asked if we had ever been to Picasso before and what the occasion was for our dining with them tonight. The chef or owner coming to the table is not something that I have seen in most of the restaurants I have dined at, it was a great personal touch.
The menu was also not what I expected. A fusion of Asian and Middle Eastern with Italian thrown in for good measure. Since I have been to and lived in all of these areas of the world I was a bit skeptical as to the authenticity of the dishes. I started with the Wild Maine Mussels prepared Thai style in coconut milk, red curry and basil. They were perfectly done, tender and full of wonderful flavor. The grilled flat bread served with it is an added bonus to dip into the wonderful broth that the mussels are served with. My only complaint is that I wish there was more broth in the bowl for sopping as it was that good. My entree was the Thai Red Curry dish which was infused beautifully with basil and red curry. The veggies that accompanied it were fresh and tasty. The pork was tender and moist. The surprise of this dish was the coconut-sesame risotto cake that the dish was served with. This was a true fusion of east meets west.
I was so satisfied at the end of my entree that desert was going to be impossible. My daughter did have dessert which was the Crème Brule, which is a chef choice preparation, on this evening it happened to be Green Tea Crème Brule. I am not a crème Brule fan but I decided to have a taste of hers. Again the presentation was perfect but more importantly you could pick up the beautiful flavor of the green tea that was infused in this dish.

I have to say that I have never been more surprised than I was on this night. I never would have dreamed that I would have been able to enjoy a "Fine Dining" meal experience in a small country town setting. As a side note I went back two days later since I had to wait on my daughter’s semi-formal event. I sat at the bar and enjoyed an unbelievable salad. It was listed on the menu as the "Local Salad” it was comprised of fresh organic greens, dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, red onion, crumbled gorgonzola cheese and was served with gorgonzola vinaigrette. There is a selection of add on, I went with a grilled steak. I like my steak rare and this was grilled just the way I requested it. By far this was the best dinner salad I have eaten.

Chef Ari's passion for food and is creativity are what makes all his dishes a culinary delight. I hope that when I am back in the states I am fortunate enough to be able to dine at Picasso again.

Lisa R.

1  Thank LMA942
Reviewed May 8, 2012

This restaurant has been open a few years and every time we’ve gone we haven’t been disappointed. On a recent visit I had the filet mignon special with caramelized shallots and it was very good. My companion had the NY sirloin with white truffle oil and shaved Reggiano cheese. He asked for the oil on the side and didn't care for it but the steak itself was tender. Reservations are recommended because it’s a small place. My only complaint would be the specials are listed on a board as you’re on your way in and repeated by the waitress. I would rather have them printed so I could read and digest what they are but overall would recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Weezi67
Reviewed March 19, 2012

6 of us visited on a very busy Sat. night. Our reservations were available when we walked through the door. Our waitress was great and told us the specials before we studied the menu which is small but something for everyone. All 6 of us were happy with our meals. The chef/owner came around to the tables to chat and find out about our meals. Best local restaurant we have been to in a long time. Everything was fresh, deliciuos and presented nicely.

1  Thank linda01609

Been to Picasso Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!