“Harbour view” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mattakeese Wharf

Mattakeese Wharf
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Barnstable
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Pub, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Reopening May 5, 2017. Mattakeese Wharf is a SEASONAL waterfront restaurant on Cape Cod, MA since 1968. We serve fresh, local seafood including lobsters, steaks, chicken, and some Italian specialties. There is no better romantic sunset view while dining on the Cape than here at Mattakeese Wharf. See the sunset slideshow on our website with many photos contributed by diners. We are open late April through mid October. Mattakeese Wharf is located next to a whale watching boat so we are a natural destination after your day on the water with the whales. We offer a full bar and live entertainment during the summer season... a great place to watch the Sox games! We serve lunch and dinner 7 days a week plus Brunch on Sundays. We are open from 11:30am until well into the evening.... depending on how busy we are, roughly 10-11pm.
Hong Kong, China
“Harbour view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a very good clam chowder followed by lobster. Service was quite good. All in all, a very good seafood restaurant. We would return.

lancaster,pa
“VIEW OF HARBOR”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

It's always nice to watch the sunset over water as you are eating a delightful meal this place offers both

Milton, Delaware
“Great Local Oysters and Clam Dish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

Upon our arrival, we were guided to a wonderful window view of the nearby docks and waterways. This should come as no surprise that we immediately ordered from the raw bar – Oysters! The local Barnstable Oysters have a sweet, nut-like flavor and firm meats. They were amazing!

Perhaps it was the cocktails or the view, but I did not pay attention when my spouse ordered the Steamers. When they arrived, my jaw kind of dropped open, but I built up a resolve to enjoy them despite my misgivings. Having learned from the past, I immediately cut off the long, disgusting looking neck so as to minimize the size of the bite. I then dunked the sand-filled belly into the container of brine provided and slopped the creature through the clarified butter dish. Hey, not too bad – except for all the sand I didn’t manage to rinse out – crunch, crunch. I then fork the more chewy neck of the beast, cover it in butter and yum. It could be worse! We somehow managed to consume them all, but I am making an oath that third time is the charm. I will NEVER order Steamers again!

For our main course, we shared an order of Little Neck Clams served over Fedilini with a white sauce. What is Fedelini you ask? It is a kind of pasta that is shaped much like spaghetti but is thinner, being only slightly thicker than vermicelli. The name of the pasta translates to "little faithful ones." This is not an incredibly common type of pasta outside of Italy. It was delicious and the perfect ending to a wonderful trip. As the sunset before us, we took a deep breath and enjoyed the view.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
charlton, ma
“good food, even better views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We arrived for our 7:00 reservations and were seated right on time. There was a hostess/manager (??) at the podium as we walked in, but she was too busy counting something to pick up her head to greet us...or to say goodbye to us when we left. It was weird. Our server was attentive - a little too enthusiastic for me personally - but we certainly were not neglected.

We were given a table, seated side by side, so we could enjoy the sunset. I don't think there is a seat in the place without some kind of water view. It really is spectacular. The food was good. We started with Point Judith calamari with red and yellow peppers. While good, there was also some marinara sauce and shredded parmesan cheese, which was an odd mix with the peppers. They do offer another option of calamari with marinara sauce - I think there may have been a bit of a mix on our plate..perhaps started plating with marinara in error, not sure. My husband ordered the seafood livorno (he had been vascillating between that and the cioppino). The Livorno was lobster, scallop and shrimp on pasta. He said the seafood was excellent, but the sauce was oddly flavored - more like a brown gravy than what he had expected, with not much depth to the flavor. I had the baked stuffed shrimp. The shrimp were well cooked and the filling was actually very good- you could taste the seafood in it. However it was served with sticky flavorless rice pilaf, that was disappointing.

In all, a great view with some good food. There were some hits, but there were also some misses.

Staten Island, NY
“Don't really know what the rave was”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Their clam chowder was watery. Their crab cakes were average, and we thought the prices were a little high. It was on the water but it didn't feel like a "waterfront" restaurant. Wouldn't return, sorry.

Visited September 2013