“New Perspective on Horseshoe Crab”

Barnstable Harbor Ecotours
Harwich, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“New Perspective on Horseshoe Crab”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We saw 5 Black Tern as we rounded the tip of Sandy Neck, we all became GLACIAL GEOLOGISTS !......at least our guide said we had all passed the TEST!, found out how the Cape & Islands were formed, got a good look @ the Lighthouse and received some interesting local history, viewed three different pair of Osprey and 2 Osprey chicks, all in all it was a great trip ......recommend it strongly..........oh by the way our pontoon boat was named the Horseshoe Crab

2 Thank BBPhil

harwich
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Not only for Summers Guests - Locals, Please Go!”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Being born and bred on Cape Cod, and still here 60 years later I thought there wasn't much I have missed. I was wrong. Until today I had missed the Barnstable Harbor Ecotours which was as fun as it was informative. Stepping onto the "Horseshoe Crab!" pontoon boat I knew I was in for a treat. The boat is small enough to know your neighbors and the gentle ride was a delight. Captain Pete kept us on course and Professor Phil taught us so much. His knowledge of the waterways, the numerous seabirds, and the history of the Cape are just a few things he knows that I now know. The peacefulness of Barnstable Harbor and the beauty of the day was an extra bonus. Go and learn, even those of us who have lived here forever will be impressed with this tour.

2 Thank snoopyharwich
Joseph N, Owner/operator at Barnstable Harbor Ecotours, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hey Snoopy. Thanks for the really nice review. I'm really glad that someone besides myself and awesome crew pointed out what we know and that is that it's all about where our tour takes you. We are looking forward to seeing lots of Cape Codders in the next few months and they should ask about our locals discount. Thanks again Snoop and please come and cruise with us again, Captain Joe
Hackettstown, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Sunset Sanctuary”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

If you only do one thing on the Cape, run do not walk to Barnstable Harbor to the Ecotours. The only way to describe it was amazing what a ride. Caption Pete and Ken were great, Ken was very knowledgeable of the area and of the birds. My daughter and husband had a great time. I have never watched a sunset completely it was spectacular, all the red and orange colors in the sky. If you are afraid of getting sea sick you won't what a smooth ride. I even bought pills before I went and I did't need them. This boat ride was the favorite part of our vacation. Thanks Ecotours you are the best we love it.

Visited July 2013
Tomesla. Thanks for the really nice review. We are still a new business and are happy when we get these endorsements. That being said, everyone heed the warning and run to us to have a nice experience on the water in one wonderful place. Tom from N.J. Thanks for coming on our trip and the review, Captain Joe
East Douglas, Massachusetts, United States
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Barnstable Harbor And Marsh Adventure”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Be sure to prepare for your tour by visiting Barnstable Harbor Ecotours web site (http://barnstableecotours.com) and read the tour preparation guide where you learn such helpful tips as not to wear blue clothing (it attracts greenhead flys). You can also view the map of the Great Marsh, Sandy Neck and Barnstable Harbor to understand a bit about the trip before you start.

As the web site says, “A wealth of wildlife awaits!”, but there is no parking at the Barnstable Harbor for the Ecotour. You must first park and ride the van from either parking location depending upon the time of your tour. Weekend (Saturday and Sunday) parking is at the Barnstable County Courthouse parking lot at 3195 Main Street (Route 6A), Barnstable Village. Weekday parking is in the parking lot to the right of the Unitarian Church of Barnstable at 3330 Main Street (Route 6A), Barnstable Village. Look for the white 15 passenger van. You can also just take the short walk to the harbor from either lot but you wouldn’t get to chat with Captain Pete who not only pilots the 25-passenger pontoon boat, the Horseshoe Crab, but also serves as the van driver. The Horseshoe Crab is equipped with a roof, mosquito netting, and a head (toilet) but bring a camera, sunscreen, insect repellent and perhaps a jacket as temperatures can be 10 degrees cooler on the water.

Our ecotour was guided by “the Professor” an expert naturalist who introduced us to Barnstable Harbor, The Great Marsh, the Sandy Neck barrier beach, Sandy Neck Cottage Colony and the Sandy Neck Lighthouse. The professor discussed the marsh’s wildlife, ecology of the salt marsh ecosystem, the geologic and human history of Cape Cod and Barnstable Harbor as well as pointing out the numerous native birds. The highlight was the flying Osprey returning from a successful fishing trip clutching his prey as he flew back to his nest of young Ospreys.

Morning and sunset tours are probably best for viewing wildlife but every tour is a unique combination of the weather, the tide, the time of day, and the season. The scheduled tours average an enjoyable two hours in length. Reservations are recommended and tickets can be purchased in advance online.

2013 Rates are Adults: $25; Children 12 & under: $15
http://barnstableecotours.com or call 508-221-6126

1 Thank John S
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful, peaceful cruise.”
Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I did the sunset tour on a day that was quite hazy and rainy. Nonetheless, we had a great time. There were only a few other people on the boat, and the harbor was also empty of people. Our guides, Andrea and Captain Pete, could not have been friendlier or more welcoming. Their enthusiasm for the area and its wildlife is evident and it really makes the harbor come alive. Andrea discussed the natural history of the area and pointed out wildlife as we encountered it. The ride itself was very smooth and peaceful. Definitely dress warmly, however, as it gets cool quickly out on the water.

Can't stress enough how genuinely friendly and kind the guides were. We will definitely return and recommend the experience highly.

3 Thank raisingruckus
Joseph N, Owner at Barnstable Harbor Ecotours, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I'm so glad you were able to make the trip with us. That was a dismal stretch of weather we had and you were troopers to go out with the wind and threat of storms I hope that when you come back to Cape Cod you will come ride with us again. All the best,Captain Joe, Barnstable Harbor Ecotours,llc.