“The Best on The Cape Our New Favorite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lamb and Lion Inn

Lamb and Lion Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Barnstable B&B and Inns
Quincy, Massachusetts
“The Best on The Cape Our New Favorite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Sometimes I have to drag the husband kicking and screaming to a B&B. He feels uncomfortable and out of place when the atmosphere is over the top and really dislikes when he feels like the innkeepers are hanging over him. Me, I love the luxury, pampering and all the "extras" of the B & B experience. (Plus I love taking to everyone, much to his dismay). The Lamb and Lion offers a perfect combination of top of the line treatment in a relaxed and laid-back atmosphere.
We celebrated our anniversary in the Innkeeper's Pride. The bed was sooooo comfy! We had a wood-burning fireplace and jacuzzi tub and a large deck off the back. We used them all. The stars off the deck at night are spectacular. We took a nice walk through the conservation land at the back of the property then came back to warm up in the outdoor hot tub. Perfect!
Breakfast was great and you can have it where you want, when you want. That made the hubby happy that you are not forced to sit down when the innkeepers decide and feel uncomfortable making chit-chat with the other guests. (Although like, I said I talk to everyone.) We were offered a varied and delicious selection of breakfast choices. Ali's homemade granola was is beyond yummy! Tom and Ali take the time to ask if there are certain items you might enjoy. They even made us some special steel grain oatmeal which was perfect for my current diet. Next time I will try Eggs Benedict when the diet is done. I'm looking forward to that!
As for Tom and Ali... The are warm, fun, personable and genuine hosts. We have been at B&B's where the innkeepers are overly-fussy, or unfriendly, or sometimes just plain seem bored. Tom and Ali seem to very much enjoy what they do and really want you be happy! You can see it in the treatment of their guests as well as the effort they have made to create such a beautiful inn with great attention to all the details.
We were able to see some of the other rooms they looked warm and inviting as well. Think we'll try out Suite 9 the next time.
Bottom line, is go here. Relax. Have fun. Enjoy. As the site says- "Go to Your Happy Place."
Hubby will not be kicking and screaming the next time. He will go happily and with a smile. Me too!
PS: I know it's not nice to pick favorites but I wanted to take G. Willikers home with me. (Don't worry-I know better!) Not just because he's a doll but I'd like to find out more about what goes on in that strange and funny little furry head of his...
Have booked the cottage for a week and July and am looking forward to using the pool and exploring the area more. It all looks wonderful. But July seems like a long way away so we will be back soon...

Room Tip: All the rooms look great and offer different amenities. Depends on what you need or desire.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Laurenjeff, Owner at Lamb and Lion Inn, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
We loved these two. And yes, hubby, as an innkeeper (and a guy) I am totally with ya!
The thing about B&Bs that puts then well over most big hotels is the personal service. We know that, and we (both Ali and I) have been in the hospitality field our entire lives. From bartending and hostessing to restaurant management, waitstaff training and owning a 4-Diamond Relais & Chateaux property. We've just about done it all, so if you need an innkeeper to "watch your back", look no further.
NOW--getting back to hubby--the thing that puts big hotels over B&Bs for a lot of people is 1) privacy and 2) you generally know what you're gonna get. I appreciate that, and--full disclosure--unless we have an excellent sense of what we're booking, we too tend to stay in hotels that we're familiar with.
We have been to the B&Bs that make you feel like you've been adopted for the weekend. Some people love that small B&B experience. We don't. Read our home page on the Lamb and Lion website. Most of that was stolen from a travel writer's review (this is turning into a tell all!). "He likes this, and she wants that--can this couple's vacation be saved?"
We were very happy that we were there for "her" who wanted to feel of a nice inn with nice services and amenities, as well as "him" who didn't want to be forced to socialize, get up early and be bothered by people.
My favorite part of their stay was the goodbye--isn't that funny! That's where he confessed about his apprehension and how much he was turned around (although we knew it all along). That's the kind of compliment that revs our engines! Thanks guys--see you again in July!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

I stayed at the cottage and had a wonderful experience. I was in the cottage, which was clean and comfortable, in September 2011. My two small dogs stayed with me and so as I look forward to vacation again this year I am looking into returning to the cottage at the Lion and Lamb Inn. Thanks!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Gent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

Excelletnw as our stay. We are a familyof 4 (2 adults + 2 teenagers) and stayed in July 2010 in this inn, in the family room. Which was excellent : spacious, privacy, comfort, ...
Excellent tips from the owners on which beach to go to, the whales excursion, ....
We have very positieve souvenirs on our stay there.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Laurenjeff, Owner at Lamb and Lion Inn, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Speaking of whale excursions, if you haven't been to our blog at our website, check out or recent blog on whale watching out of nearby Barnstable Harbor! Not only does it answer al of your whale questions (in our always amusing and charming way--haha), but it tells any whale nuts that they really are nuts if they don't stay here! We have a few "ins" that no other "inns" have with the whale watcher. Read the blog, book the room, and get ready to see a show greater than Sea World can come up with!!!
Nantucket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

My only regret is that we had only one night at the Lamb and Lion. We were a late arrival and I was afraid we would be a nuisance, but Tom had a note on the office door and a key in our room door. We had the coolest room with a king bed in a rooom with french doors, and a queen up in a sleeping loft (not cramped, plenty of head room). There was also a small kitchen with fridge, stove, coffee maker, microwave, and toaster, AND a living room with wall-mounted TV and a dining table. The room was clean, quiet, comfortable, roomy, warm, and sunny (the next morning!). The bathroom was modern (and looked like it was recently updated), with an excess of fluffy towels.

The breakfast room was beautiful and sunny. I was impressed with the breakfast! There were homemade warm muffins, 3 cereals, english muffins, homemade whole grain bread, cut fruit, and yogurt..not to mention a cappucino/latte/espresso machine! Alice and Tom were both there in the morning greeting guests and chatting. They offered us a cheese and sausage strada that had just come out of the oven! It was to die for. The pool was covered as it is December, but I look forward to coming back to the Lamb and Lion when it is warmer. Why would you stay anywhere else?? And they are dog friendly!!

Room Tip: The room described is room 7!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Laurenjeff, Owner at Lamb and Lion Inn, responded to this review, April 7, 2012
Oh, the southwestern strada--one of my favorites of Ali's! I don't know if I shared this, but the Lamb's Retreat suite originally dates back to the mid 1700's when it was a horse stable (hence all the space--"Sweet 9" across the hallway was part of the stables too). The loft over the living/dining area was once full of bails of hay.
As for the late check-in, many B&B's won't do that, for some reason. We never mind it. We prefer to meet and greet in person, but if you can't get here until late--we understand. The self check in a sometimes necessary, and we took all the guess work out of it. Show up any time you like--as long as you show up at the Lamb and Lion Inn!! ;)
West Hartford, CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

Unfortunately I had been battling Cancer for the past year and was ready to get away for a few days. We picked the Lamb and Lion inn so we could bring our 2 best friends...dogs under 15 lbs each. We stayed in one of the rooms that opens to the pool back in August. Room was small and in need of updating. But that was OK. Met with Tom but never saw Ali. He was helpful with dog friendly places. Left to explore and found the cape to be inlets and little villages. Could not really get on the beach with the pups. Back at the room, I tried to go for a dip in the pool. Water freezing but I Iook the plunge with my bald head. The pool is not in the greatest condition. Broken pieces of plastic and the hot tub which I thought would be therapeutic was not open. Funny you think it would be with a full house. Went out to supper. Could not find the place Tom reccommended so walked on main street in Hyannis and found a lovely place for a sandwich. When we arrived back to the room, I needed to rest so started to pull down the bed and a smell burst forward. It smelled like dirty sweaty teeshirt.
We left the bed covered and brought a blanket from our car. We could not stand the smell. The pillows were horrible too. We covered everything over and slept in our clothes on top of the bed. The next morning, we saw that the so called gourmet breakfast was not much of anything. Granola and yogurt is not my husbands cup of tea. My dogs found bones under the bed from the last visitors...half eaten. It was at that time that I said I was exhausted and needed to go home. We stopped Tom in the office and explained how I was still under treatment and wasn't able to make another night. We never mentioned the problems we found since all the reviews were fantastic. Tom said he would try to sell our room for the night and if he did would send a refund. He continued on to say if he could not sell the room, he would send us a coupon for use at any time. Well that was August and this is November and that never happened. Maybe it was a bad week or we are just spoiled. We paid over 300.00 a night. My husband and I are hard working professionals and have traveled frequently in the last 5 years. Don't think we have been more disappointed since the Weston in Maui.

Room Tip: Stay away. We need a resort with crisp white sheets and a great pool. Never did have lobster. Feel c...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank 60-ish
LambAndLion, Owner at Lamb and Lion Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Wow, this is a difficult review to read, especially 4 months after the fact. I think from our other reviews, one can tell that we are very pro-active in responding to our guests needs. We would never want someone to stay at our property that was this profoundly unhappy and we would offer a full refund and make every effort to find other accommodations if they had made their grievances known to us at the time of their visit.
We do remember this reviewer explaining to us the morning of their check out, that her treatments were making her ill and she had to leave, but she never mentioned any dissatisfaction. Alice actually teared up when I told her about their early departure as her mother lost her battle with cancer and she is painfully aware of how difficult the treatment can be. Ali spoke to them when they were at the pool, but it is very possible that she did not introduce herself. We DID email a gift certificate, (albeit about 5 days after their checked out), for a complimentary stay but we had no way of knowing that it had not been received. Ali and I have been in the hospitality industry our entire lives and if we did not follow through with offers such as this, our credibility would have been lost long ago.
I am not sure how to respond to other specifics. Our reviews always get 5 stars for cleanliness. Our sheets are laundered by a professional laundry company and guests often comment on their good quality and the comfort of our bedding. Our pool does have a crack in one of the coping joints, and our pool company is making every effort to find a replacement for the corner, but I don't know that it detracts from the beauty of our courtyard. The pool is heated by solar panels and if it has been raining for a few days, it does cool down, but we do not remember many rainy days in August. The hot tub is NEVER closed while the Inn is open, but we keep it covered during the day, when it's not in use, to help keep it at its ideal temperature. The guests are free to remove the cover anytime and the guest services book encourages them to ask us to remove it for them if they need assistance.
We ask our housekeepers to always check under the bed and bureaus, but perhaps a prior doggie guest had a superior hiding technique. We are sorry that was missed, but we hope their dogs enjoyed the surprise. Our self-guided driving tours are very specific and people in our other reviews rave about them. We know what a necessity it is when traveling with a pet to find pet friendly restaurants and beaches. We are sorry they were frustrated in their search and if people have cell phones, we encourage them to contact to us at the Inn if they are lost or unclear about our directions-- navigating this Island should be as easy as "clam pie".
Windsor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed at The Lamb & Lion in Barnstable on Cape Cod the week leading up to
Halloween, and what a wonderful week we had.

From the moment we arrived, Tom & Ali treated us as long lost friends, even
though we had only had a few conversations via e mail.
We stayed in The Barn with some good friends, and found it to be very
comfortable. It sleeps upto 6 and was spacious enough for two couples to spend
the whole week without being in each others pockets.
There are so many interesting features around the barn, that we hardly looked at
the same item twice! (Loved the chair under the stairs!)

The coffee machine is fired up around 6:30 every morning in the communal
breakfast room. This morning ritual allowed us to meet some charming guests also
staying at The Lamb & Lion. Breakfast is varied and delicious, including fresh
baked goodies, (something different each morning). And hot food is available if
pre ordered.

We took advantage of Tom & Ali's local knowledge, by visiting some amazing
restaurants on their recommendations. The Tavern was easily the best food, wine
and cocktails we enjoyed whilst visiting Cape Cod.

We had planned an evening home one night in The Barn, and Tom kindly brought us
a huge stack of DVD's to take our pick from. We went local and watched Jaws for
about the 50th time! (How can that go wrong? One of my favourite films ever!)

We enjoyed our time so much staying with Tom & Ali at The Lamb & Lion, a real
home from home, with an excellent come and go as you please feel.
If you need information or advice, all you need to do is ask. If it's peace and
quiet you're after, there's plenty of that too! There's so much to do on The
Cape that we never found the time to be bored! (Make sure you take a trip along
scenic route 6A, it's just breathtaking!)

And saving the best for last, the pooches!
Tina my Wife first discovered The Lamb & Lion due to the gorgeous pooches that
are the real stars of the inn. We spent a lot of time hugging and fussing over
them! We loved Golly Miss Molly, soooooo cute, Prezza, (we even found her
namesake restaurant in The North End) and Cosmos, (who worked as a tag team one
early morning to take me down like a pair of ravenous lions stalking a gazelle).
But our absolute favourite, and adopted pooch is G. Willikers, a feisty little
hot buttered muffin! One of the cutest pooches on the planet along with our very
own Bailey dog. We even managed to have him over to The Barn for some quality
pooch time.

From our visit to Cape Cod, and the wonderful things we experienced, I think G.
Willikers is possibly what we will miss the most! Cuteness personified!

It was a true pleasure to stay at The Lamb & Lion as guests of Tom, Ali, G.
Willikers, Golly Miss Molly, Prezza and Cosmos.

Thanks for a wonderful vacation.
Shaun & Tina.

P.s.
Sorry about The Beatles!

Room Tip: If you're staying in The Barn and you're tall, strap a cushion to your head!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
LambAndLion, Owner at Lamb and Lion Inn, responded to this review, November 27, 2011
Boy, if there was only a TripAdvisor to review guests--these guys would get 5 stars. We had a blast having them here, and some very memorable conversations. I even learned a couple of things, like all Brits don't like The Beatles! Huh, wha? Can this be?? Had I known he would reduce The Beatles to (and this is a direct quote) "the first boy band" we might not have taken their reservation. Ha ha!
Halloween is always a fun time of the year to be on Cape Cod, and in particular our little Barnstable Village. The haunted history tours, although they go on throughout the year, are particular spooky that time of the year. Unfortunately the weather didn't cooperate, so the 4 seats we were holding for them at a local farm's "haunted hay ride" went to somebody else, but their enthusiasm was contagious and they didn't let a little wind and rain spoil their time here. Actually, it made it all that more fun to borrow horror movies from our dvd library and hang out in front of the Barn's fireplace stove (although as JAWS happens to be my favorite film as well, I thought they should have watched it on the BIG screen in the inn's home theater--the famous "da-dum, da dum" of the JAWS soundtrack is all that more eerie in surround sound!). Speaking of eerie, the reason the chair in our 1740 Barn gets a mention in this review has to do with a ghost. There's a book called "Haunted Cape Cod & the Islands" if you want to read about it. Better yet, get some friends together and experience it for yourself!
Aylesbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We spent five nights in the Barn at the Lamb and Lion hotel, Barnstable with friends. The four of us shared the barn which had a fantastic living space where we cold all chill out each morning and night. the barn was cosy, well heated and very atmospheric!

Tom and Ali our hosts were so, so lovely, kind, welcoming and really made us feel at home.

Breakfast is available in the communual relaxed seating area. I was very comfortable in my pj's each morning heading down there where sometimes I ate there, other times we all bought the breakfast back to our room.

Breakfast was continental style made up of homemade granola and other cereals, home prepared yummy fruits which were baked or mixed with things like coconut. Homemade yoghurt and lovely baked breads, muffins, eggs etc. cooked breakfasts are also available but we never felt we needed it, there was always plenty to choose from.

The location is pretty and peaceful with nice walks on the doorstep. We also went to the local pubs/inns for dinner twice. The Tavern and The Dolphin. Both either 30 minutes walk or 5 mins drive down a direct road (main street). The food was excellent and especially good in the Tavern.

• Stayed November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstable
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Liberty Hill Inn
Liberty Hill Inn
#1 of 10 in Yarmouth Port
5.0 of 5 stars 782 reviews

Been to Lamb and Lion Inn? Share your experiences!