“Very pleasant experience with delicious meal”

The Barnstable Restaurant and Tavern
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Barnstable
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Barnstable Restaurant and Tavern Chef/Owner Bob Calderone brings "Great Food and Friendly Service" to Historic Rte. 6A. Open every day for lunch and dinner, we always serve fresh and if possible local food! We feature creative Cape Cod cuisine with a full menu of exciting appetizers, refreshing salads, and fabulous seafood, meat, and Italian specialty dishes. Try our popular thin crust pizzas or our award-winning grilled Tavern Burger! People also enjoy our fried seafood platters, Fruit of the Sea mixture served over a bed of tasty pasta, and our fresh homemade New England clam chowder. Our friendly servers can guide you through our menu if you need recommendations. We also a full selection of beer, wine, and other spirits to drink with your meal. Sit inside our rustic English-style pub tavern our outside on our spacious patio. We offer many daily meal specials. Stop by today for a memorable meal in a relaxing setting!
NYC
“Very pleasant experience with delicious meal”
Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We had a very nice dinner in the dining room. Others seated around us seemed like regular local residents. From the clientele, it must be a reliably consistent in its quality and service. The Mediterranean seafood stew is excellent, lots of fresh seafood and good flavor. Good for family, kids, as well as older parents. Calm friendly environment.

• Visited August 2013

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Barnstable Tavern Update”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I just wanted to express my continued enthusiasm for the food at the Barnstable Tavern.

I visited Cape Cod again over the past weekend and dined at the Tavern multiple times.

The food was on point! I had the most excellent chickpea and arugula salad followed by the mushroom ravioli for dinner.

I returned for brunch on Sunday. Again: delicious food! I had the best bacon that I have ever consumed at a restaurant. It was perfectly cooked and not at all greasy.

The waitstaff were extremely accommodating regarding my dietary needs: they substituted fried eggs for scrambled eggs and also were able to leave off the chicken that came with my ravioli.

You can't miss the patio dining! So cute!

As Arnold says, "I'll be back"

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cambridge_Crab85
“A Pub and a Gourmet Restaurant Under One Roof”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We ate here four times in a week and a half. We had lunch in the tavern with our children, two casual dinners in the tavern with my husband's parents, and a more formal wine pairing dinner event in the Restaurant. They have an excellent gluten-free menu and plenty of options for both picky eaters and adventurous folks who appreciate fine dining. The menu is quite broad! With options to sit outside on the patio, in the main dining room, or the tavern (pub feel), they can easily accommodate everything from families with children to business dinners to romantic meals for two. The service was excellent. This is the one restaurant on the Cape my children absolutely insist on going to whenever we visit their grandparents.

Visited July 2013
Charleston, West Virginia
“View is better than the food, but it's worth it.”
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

After 16 hours of intense driving we rolled into Cape Cod at about noon. We visited the restaurant and took advantage of the outdoor eating area to get some fresh air. The patio was so cozy. A surrounded garden gives off the scent of fresh flowers. Just the cure for being locked up in a vehicle. Refreshing. Food was just okay and I think our waitress was new so she didn't know much about the menu and was a little slow. Otherwise she was friendly and helpful.

• Visited July 2013
Acushnet, Massachusetts
“Lovely Restaurant on Scenic Cape Cod”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

It was an oppressively hot summer day and we ventured to the Cape on a weekday when the traffic is lighter. Because we had missed our reservation at another restaurant we were looking for a nice place to have a late lunch. My friends had been to the Barnstable Tavern many years ago and suggested we try it. I immediately opened my iPad and looked for the ratings on Tripadvisor. Except for one which noted poor service, the accolades from most of the contributors convinced us to try it. There is a lovely out door seating area with umbrella topped tables that is located in a small garden area. The temperature was in the 90's so we opted to eat in the diningroom and take advantage of the air conditioning. Very "New England" in decor with tables and a few wooden booths, it was pleasant and clean. As our appetizer we chose to start our meal with the Portuguese Rice Balls with Linguica, (a popular Portuguese sausage). There were 5 of them, fried and in a tomato sauce which was a bit acidic and we found no hint of linguica. The clam chowders were good and the salads were fresh and interesting. My husband ordered the pasta with a creamy pesto sauce which he found quite tasty and our friends shared a sausage pizza which they enjoyed.I had been in the mood for really good fried clams and decided to try the restaurants offering of a whole bellied clams Clam Roll. As always, I asked if it was served on the traditional New England hot dog roll and was surprised to find that it was served on a bulky Kaiser roll! That struck me as odd. Nonetheless I ordered it along with the days special boiled potato in lieu of french fries. The clams were good, though a bit overcooked. The staff was friendly and the service was good. If you are in Barnstable I would recommend stopping in for lunch or dinner. Perhaps the weather will be milder and you can enjoy the outdoor seating.

• Visited July 2013