“View is better than the food, but it's worth it.”

The Barnstable Restaurant and Tavern
Ranked #4 of 9 Restaurants in Barnstable
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Barnstable Restaurant and Tavern Chef/Owner Bob Calderone brings "Great Food and Friendly Service" to Historic Rte. 6A. Open every day for lunch and dinner, we always serve fresh and if possible local food! We feature creative Cape Cod cuisine with a full menu of exciting appetizers, refreshing salads, and fabulous seafood, meat, and Italian specialty dishes. Try our popular thin crust pizzas or our award-winning grilled Tavern Burger! People also enjoy our fried seafood platters, Fruit of the Sea mixture served over a bed of tasty pasta, and our fresh homemade New England clam chowder. Our friendly servers can guide you through our menu if you need recommendations. We also a full selection of beer, wine, and other spirits to drink with your meal. Sit inside our rustic English-style pub tavern our outside on our spacious patio. We offer many daily meal specials. Stop by today for a memorable meal in a relaxing setting!
Reviewed July 31, 2013 via mobile

After 16 hours of intense driving we rolled into Cape Cod at about noon. We visited the restaurant and took advantage of the outdoor eating area to get some fresh air. The patio was so cozy. A surrounded garden gives off the scent of fresh flowers. Just the cure for being locked up in a vehicle. Refreshing. Food was just okay and I think our waitress was new so she didn't know much about the menu and was a little slow. Otherwise she was friendly and helpful.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

It was an oppressively hot summer day and we ventured to the Cape on a weekday when the traffic is lighter. Because we had missed our reservation at another restaurant we were looking for a nice place to have a late lunch. My friends had been to the Barnstable Tavern many years ago and suggested we try it. I immediately opened my iPad and looked for the ratings on Tripadvisor. Except for one which noted poor service, the accolades from most of the contributors convinced us to try it. There is a lovely out door seating area with umbrella topped tables that is located in a small garden area. The temperature was in the 90's so we opted to eat in the diningroom and take advantage of the air conditioning. Very "New England" in decor with tables and a few wooden booths, it was pleasant and clean. As our appetizer we chose to start our meal with the Portuguese Rice Balls with Linguica, (a popular Portuguese sausage). There were 5 of them, fried and in a tomato sauce which was a bit acidic and we found no hint of linguica. The clam chowders were good and the salads were fresh and interesting. My husband ordered the pasta with a creamy pesto sauce which he found quite tasty and our friends shared a sausage pizza which they enjoyed.I had been in the mood for really good fried clams and decided to try the restaurants offering of a whole bellied clams Clam Roll. As always, I asked if it was served on the traditional New England hot dog roll and was surprised to find that it was served on a bulky Kaiser roll! That struck me as odd. Nonetheless I ordered it along with the days special boiled potato in lieu of french fries. The clams were good, though a bit overcooked. The staff was friendly and the service was good. If you are in Barnstable I would recommend stopping in for lunch or dinner. Perhaps the weather will be milder and you can enjoy the outdoor seating.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

The Tavern is a jewel. The menu has a something for everyone. There is also a gluten free menu that has many choices. The patio seating is lovely and you can bring your dog there!
I would recommend The Barnstable Tavern to anyone!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We are local and dine out frequently. Barnstable Tavern has consistently great meals. Normally, I order fish, which is always fresh and offered several ways. Most recently, I tried the Mushroom Ravioli and Chicken with Spinich. It was fabulous!! All the wait staff is friendly and efficient. They do get busy in the summer, so we make reservations, which is always a good idea on the Cape this time of year. I would recommend the price fixed 3 course meals, if you normally get dessert. They are a great bargain; Entree portions just a tad smaller than usual. There is a patio with music on Friday nights, weather permitting. Note to Foreign travellers- US waitstaff relies on TIPS for payment. Normally 20 percent of the tab, before taxes.

2  Thank ccimma1
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wow, I have never been more impressed by a restaurant: excellent service, an extensive menu and reasonable prices!

Every time I go to the Cape I choose the Barnstable Tavern. The waitstaff is both friendly and attentive. It's a dream compared to the rude, slow service I encounter in Cambridge. I was actually surprised that the young woman who waited on us (a college aged girl with long, reddish hair) made sure that made sure we were happy with our food on numerous occasions. Here you're lucky to even summon wait staff to bring the check. She seemed busy, running in and out to the patio to refill our drinks, but made a point that we were completely taken care of in a timely manner.

I love the diverse menu! The ravioli is divine! Drink prices are reasonable enough to get a good buzz on.

Be sure to check it out on Friday nights. They have live music on the patio starting at 5. Nice acoustic guitar playing.

Perfect spot for a date for the young and old!

6  Thank Cambridge_Crab85