“Great place to stay on the Cape”
Review of Ashley Manor

Ashley Manor
Ranked #1 of 6 Barnstable B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed for six nights in mid-August and thoroughly enjoyed out stay. Vince and Pat are great hosts and their place is very comfortable. The breakfasts were wonderful and they have recommendations for restaurants in all the towns around the Cape. We went to the beach most days and they supplied us with towels, beach chairs and an umbrella. I would stay there again and would recommend it to anyone who was staying on the Cape. The location is convenient to all parts of the Cape

Room Tip: We had the Federal room which is the smallest room but certainly was comfortable and sufficient for...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ashley Manor

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful stay at Ashley Manor. We stayed in the Ashley Suite, which was nicely furnished and very comfortable. The inn is nicely located, close to all the great sights of Cape Cod, but in a beautiful, quiet location. Route 6A is an historic, winding roadway, lined with antique stores and restaurants, seemingly far from the more commercialized areas of the Cape. Vince and Pat were wonderful hosts, with great ideas for sightseeing and meals. All of their recommended restaurants were top notch. Vince made some great breakfasts, each different from the next, but delicious and hearty. We would certainly stay there again and would recommend it to our family and friends.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2012

We stayed with our 16 year old son in August 2012. We were welcomed warmly and our suite had its own designated parking space which is a good idea. The owner gave us a brief history of the building and showed us round the common areas before showing us to our room. Our suite was lovely with a four poster bed and had a separate room for our son, although it had a hatch connecting the two rooms. The suite had two bathrooms; one with a fabulous jacuzzi bath and the other a standard bath/shower and loo. We could come and go as we pleased and the owner also gave us a discounted ticket for the whale watching which is just round the corner and is also highly recommended. They also booked restaurants for us in the evenings. Nothing was too much trouble. Breakfasts were fabulous; individually cooked and beautifully presented. I wish we had time to stay longer. The only trouble was that it rained and we could not have breakfast outside!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I can't say enough good things about Ashley Manor. But I'll try!

First, Pat & Vince were great hosts ... they provided a delicious breakfast, ample information about the Cape (and even a good Boston restaurant recommendation!), and in general made us feel very relaxed and welcome. One evening, we arrived back at the B&B in a rainstorm, and before I had a chance to get out of the car, there was Vince with an umbrella for me. I think that speaks volumes about the level of hospitality and genuine care for their guests.

The house itself is quite neat as well. The original part of the house was built in 1699 (how often can you say that you're staying in 17th century digs?) with additions built in the mid-18th century I believe. Despite the age of the house, it's very well kept up--the house as a whole and the rooms in particular are clean and have ample space. We enjoyed having an after-dinner drink in the living room in the evenings too. We didn't have the opportunity to partake in the facilities, but they have a tennis court as well.

The location is nice as well, very centrally-located. Barnstable itself has some nice restaurants and activities (you can go whale watching right from Barnstable Harbor rather than go all the way to Provincetown, for example). Even Provincetown and the National Seashore aren't a terrible distance away (about an hour or so to P-town). Sandwich was one of my favorite little towns that we visited, and it's only about 15 minutes away. The "big city" of Hyannis felt overrun, but it has some nice restaurants and other activities and is just 10 minutes (but feels like a world away). Just in general, I enjoyed being located along route 6A--a historic and scenic road.

There are many places one could stay while on Cape Cod, but I'm very glad we found Ashley Manor for our first trip to the Cape. We'd definitely come back if we have the chance to return to the area.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

This was our first "Inn" experience and Ashley Manor exceeded our expectations. Having never been to an inn, the setting was exactly as one picture it to be: quaint, cozy, well-maintained, and with very hospitable and friendly hosts, Pat and Vince, who gave great advice on things to do and restaurants to eat at. They also were fun to just chat with. And cannot forget to mention that Vince makes awesome breakfasts--they were some of our best meals on Cape Cod! And they were so considerate regarding any special dietary needs and tailored the breakfast, appropriately. We'll definitely come back again in the future and maybe by then Vince will consider making dinner for guests!

Room Tip: You will not be disappointed at Ashley Manor.
Reviewed July 23, 2012

"What, I have to prepare my own breakfast?"... This was my thought on awakening this morning at home, after an eight day stay at the Ashley Manor B &B, where each morning my husband and I awakened to a delicious, unique, three course breakfast! Ordinarily, my husband does not even eat breakfast- when we are not traveling. He could not wait to get to the table for breakfast during our stay here....Excellent breakfasts were offered-Chef's choice, after determing whether guests had food allergies, etc to contend with.
Others have very adequately described aspects of the Inn in these reviews-Pat and Vince are excellent hosts, leaving no amenity unthought of- quite hospitable folks .Think- the warmth of family, without intrusiveness...In additon to offering expert advice re: local beaches, restaurants, boat trips, sites of interest, and being interesting to converse with, they offer everything one might need, at some point during their stay, but neglected to bring-sunscreen, beach towels,chairs, beach umbrellas, even gulf umbrellas are held in a large crock for easy access should inclement weather appear.
We arrived during a heat wave and found the air-conditioning up to the task of cooling off the Canterbury Suite which has afternoon sun shining on it. I was very grateful to find this the case, as I am quite heat intolerant. When I mentioned, as an aside, to Pat that I had difficulty reading in bed, by the light in the suite, she immediately replaced the light bulbs with brighter bulbs.
The Inn is meticulousy maintained, situated in a district with many interesting walks, lots of history to explore. There is a lovely village atmosphere, without crass commercialism (historic district), but offering, among other things, an excellent private grocer (open until 9 PM, in summer) and an ice cream shop that has delicious offerings...
Guests included senior couples, young couples, honeymooners-fun for the seniors to reminisce-and even celebrities who shall remain unnamed.
Thanks again, Pat and Vince. We hope to meet again.

Room Tip: Each suite is very unique and beautifully decorated. If you are a very light sleeper, you may prefer...
1  Thank kerrylin
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our first trip to Cape Cod and our first stay at a B&B. We spent four nights in the King George room at the Ashley Manor. Vince and Pat were fantastic hosts and the three course breakfasts were fabulous. They seem to know when to provide their help with your stay in the Cape and when to give you your privacy. I'm not sure there is much they would not have done if we had asked. They can help you with about anything you need to know about the Cape. What you see on the Ashley Manor website is exactly what you get. The manor sits on a large lot which allows for an escape from the hustle and bustle that can sometimes be found on the Cape. You can't go wrong with a stay at the Ashley Manor.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstable
Anchor In Hotel
DoubleTree by Hilton Cape Cod - Hyannis
Liberty Hill Inn
Liberty Hill Inn
#1 of 8 in Yarmouth Port

Been to Ashley Manor? Share your experiences!