“Great Service bad food”

The Red Roost
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Whitehaven
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Eastern Shore of Maryland's original All You Can Eat restaurant. Blue Crab, Snow Crab, Shrimp and our famous Fried chicken since 1974! Full entrée menu also available. Seasonal hours are Mid March through October.
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I were really looking forward to our first crabs of the season. I saw a show on MPT that mentioned this place and thought it would be a neat experience. So we drove 3 hours to eastern shore, took the quick ferry to the restaurant and was there when they opened at 5:30 on Friday. Wait staff were rock stars. Crabs were TERRIBLE. The AUCE starts with all the fillers first then they bring you a half dozen crabs. These crabs were clearly reheats. In fact some of them were going bad as the smell off ammonia appeared from the claws of a few but not the bodies. Some were just all bad. So we powered through thinking they would get better as they moved through their old stash. They didn't and we were so disappointed. Husband and I both agreed if we had gone later in the weekend, when the old crabs were gone it would have been a different story but we wont go back. I waited to write my review because I just wanted to let it settle first. I was so upset the crabs were bad and this is what they are known for. Some had seasoning, some didn't. No we didn't tell our waitress and her tip did not suffer. Long time crab eaters we understand the need for a restaurant to utilize food but this place is known for its crabs, why would they reheat and re-serve? We eat crabs often over the summer time, most times weekly so we are not new, not inexperienced, just truly disappointed that they ruined the experience by serving "left-overs".

2  Thank KThompson38

Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

The best all you can eat crab house in Maryland, for sure!!! They have a varied menu, with delicious options no matter what you choose. It's definitely worth it!!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went to dinner with a group of 22 adults. The staff was very accommodating with our request for 11 separate checks. Some had the all you can eat selections, others chicken, ribs or crabs. A friend was given a complimentary lesson on soft shell crab preparation. It is tricky. I highly recommend the casual atmosphere.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I've been going to this crabhouse for years and it never disappoints! It has a fun atmosphere, friendly service, great food, and it's an all around fun place to go.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Not the same Red Roost. Service was not that great, crabs were plentiful but quite frankly, why drive to BFE when you can just buy a bushel, grab some beers and invite your friends over. Their prices are through the roof and not worth the trip, ever again.

1  Thank JaysaTravelinMan