“Adequate, better than Tex-Mex” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mexico Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Adequate, better than Tex-Mex”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Southern Maryland does not have many Mexican restaurants run by folks who have lived in Mexico. This is one of the better ones. It's not all tacos and burritos, although most of the menu is basic - rice, refried beans, lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole combined with a variety of meats and seafood.There are specialty items that are more creative than you might expect. On my recent visit, I had shrimp and scallops in a cream sauce that was quite good.

The restaurant has moved to the site of the former Lorado Restaurant. I found the ambiance of the Lorado a bit uncomfortable. The dining area was one large room with no dividers and no windows. The new owners have improved it by adding windows and some new decorations. The dining room is still noisier than it needs to be because of the large open area.

On the whole, a meal here is a good value - the prices are quite reasonable.

• Visited February 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Don't waste your time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

So I am not sure how other reviewers enjoyed their visit here because my family and I didn't have anywhere near as good of an experience dining at Mexico. It all started as soon as we walked in the front door. The foyer area was packed even though we saw numerous open tables throughout the place. Someone FINALLY came to the front and starting seating everyone after about 10 - 15 min of a good 20 or so people just stood around bewildered as to why we were waiting and if we should seat ourselves.
We ordered and waited for the food thinking on all the good reviews and how the food should be pretty good. My wife and I have lived in California for awhile, so we know good Mexican food when we taste it. After about a good long 30 min in waiting for our meal, the waiter finally brought our food. First impression was that it looked like average Mexican food that was put in a microwave with the beans and cheese melted all over the plate. We kept an open mind and tried the food.
Our first impression was wondering why our food was cold. After all that time, we couldn’t believe it was cold/luke warm. The other issue before talking about the food is that I told them that we would be splitting the children’s meal w/my two sons and needed an extra plate. They forgot the plate and it took them about 10 min to bring an additional plate out. Not good when you have two under 6 year olds sitting idly hungry.
My dish was horrible and I was already prepared after one bite to send it back (spinach enchiladas that looked like a burrito w/a whole bunch of white cheese everywhere and a few specks of spinach) and try another dish thinking it might be just this dish. Usually when you order an enchilada the outside has some cheese and the tortilla part of it is cooked and kind of tough/crispy. This enchilada was a soft burrito that had not been cooked. It tasted that way along w/the bland cheesy flavor.
I told the waiter nicely that this wasn't good and if I could make a different order. He obliged and I asked if I could change a burrito dish that they offered that had vegetables into a chimichanga. He said he couldn't do that but could do one with beans instead. At this point, I will accept whatever so I said okay. It took no more than five minutes and he was back with a plate of beans and cheese, two soft burritos in the middle of all the beans and cheese. I asked him what this was because it didn't look like a chimichanga since they are fried. He said for bean ones, they couldn't fry it. I said... so why call it a chimichanga then? He was pretty inflexible on the whole thing so I just told him never mind, I don't want anything and told him to take it back. My wife ordered the special dinner and she stated that it was pretty bland and very skimpy on the meat in it.
In terms of authentic Mexican, you won't find it here so I wouldn't waste your time. If you just want something flavored like Mexican food, this place should do, but you could also say the same about Taco Bell which would be faster and cheaper. It was definitely on that level of Mexican food.
Next time I am out this way, I will try the other two places in La Plata. They seemed to have better ratings so might be worth the drive.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank montgod
“Mexican Fare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Mexico restaurant serves good Mexican food. I was part of a large group that experienced minimal problems - all the food was brought out fairly quickly, a few of the servers did not understand English which lent to the authenticity. I had the beef tacos which were good if uninspiring. My husband had the grande burrito and pronounced it excellent. All in all a very good experience - we will be back! Note, the menu is divided by meat vice style of dish (e.g. tacos, burritos, etc), so it took me a few minutes to locate the beef taco's I wanted!

• Visited January 2013
Waldorf
“New Location, Same great food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Although they have moved to White Plains (in the old Lorado building), they still are among the best Mexican food restaurants in the county. Thier new location allows for a quieter and more roomy experience. Service is still very quick and courteous and prices are still reasonable.It will continue to be our "go to "place for Mexican food!

• Visited December 2012
Waldorf, MD
“Fast, yummy, and affordable!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

Mexico restaurant is a must for anyone venturing to Southern Maryland. The salsa they bring to the table upon being seated is homemade and different everyday. The service is polite and fast. The food is great and generous portions - even for lunch! They have a new location a little farther south on 301, we're anxious to see the larger location. Enjoy!

• Visited November 2012