“Potential but not quite there yet......”
Review of Courtyard Waldorf

Courtyard Waldorf
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Waldorf
Reviewed May 10, 2012

As a literary professional I travel often to various locations. This one was very nice on the outside however once inside things change. Sadly, being out and about I wasnt able to experience all of the amenities. My first night there, someone pulled the fire alarm and the whole building was evacuated. Ive said it before and I will say it again I understand that the safety of everyone is priority. I dont debate that at all however it wasnt told to me until when I was checking out what the problem was which happened to be two situations minutes apart that caused the alarms to go off and leave us all out at 2am. Now, lets go to the food.. Why is it that there's a food area that's open for a small amount of time and happens to be the ideal times for someone to want food. Its never open and never available and when I asked for a menu, I had to go get it myself. Staff is VERY unaccomodating here. I didnt have my sheets changed the whole time I stayed here. Thankfully my room had two queen size beds. I personally handed housekeeping my towels and I asked them to come back to change the sheets. They didnt come until I was leaving to check out. Good thing there were extra towels for me to use because I would be screwed. I spoke to three people who stated that they are sorry that my stay was so horrible... while the sentiment is generous I wanted to let everyone see exactly how they treat those that patronize their establishment, especally those from out of town. Marriott has a standard to uphold and this is indeed a poor representation of the brand.

Room Tip: Find another location
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank AllisonE624
courtyardwaldorf, General Manager at Courtyard Waldorf, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

Hello AllisonE624,

I want to thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about the quality of service you received during your recent visit to the Courtyard by Marriott, Waldorf. On behalf of myself and my team, I sincerely apologize. As our guest, your satisfaction and patronage are very important to me. Therefore, I appreciate being notified of any instance involving poor service so that I am able to immediately address the situation.

Hello At Courtyard by Marriott, our service teams are expected to provide top-quality and attentive service to every guest, every time. Not only is this our standard, but anything less is unacceptable. We want you to feel confident knowing that when you choose Courtyard by Marriott all of your lodging needs will be met in a timely and professional manner. I want to assure you that I have discussed your concerns with my managers and team members and reiterated the importance of taking care of our guests.

Again, I would like to thank you for bringing this situation to my attention. I want you to feel a sense of comfort when you walk into and stay at Courtyard by Marriott, regardless of the city or state. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

Marriott seems to want to position Courtyard properties at the high end of their many brands. However, most Courtyards are older than their lower-priced siblings like Springhill and Fairfield and therefore aren’t as good a value as Marriott would suggest. This property is newer and better appointed than most Courtyards, and lives up to the expectation Marriott has for its higher-end properties. However, like most high-end hotels, the more you pay – the less you get comp’ed. For example, no complimentary breakfast here. We did not eat breakfast here, but the Bistro appeared to be adequate for breakfast or a light supper. They also serve Starbucks coffee. The hotel is centrally located enough that we were able to find breakfast right down the road. We had a meeting with our colleagues in the lobby. There is lots of room and plenty small conversation groups where you can talk without a lot of traffic walking by. Only stayed one night, so I didn’t use many of the amenities, but the workout room and pool looked like they were in good condition. The large stone outdoor patio with fire pit is probably a nice place to relax in good weather. The King room is arranged in an unusual way – with the headboard towards the door. But there is plenty of work space and seating room. One thing I did like is there are plenty of electrical outlets that are easy to reach. There are plugs right on the desk and above the night stands. Overall, a pleasant stay. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have to make a left onto Crain Hwy from the hotel, go around the Best Buy next door to get to...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 23, 2012

At first glance a very nice hotel. loved the lobby but after checking out the food offerings, nothing to get me to eat there. The biggest disappointment to me were the towels in the room. They were very thin and one was extremely frayed at the ends. It should have been a rag, not a towel for a customer. The pool was very small and smaller yet was the jacuzzi. The towels were better though. We took some to our room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
courtyardwaldorf, General Manager at Courtyard Waldorf, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2012

Hello Hungarianrider,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay and found the hotel and lobby welcoming. I want to apologize that the towels you received were not up to standard and that it is not indicative of our towels as a whole. I am also glad that you were you pleased with our pool towels. I am dissapointed that you felt our pool and jacuzzi were small but rest assured the size of our pool and jacuzzi are industry standard for the size of our hotel.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

I've been traveling to Waldorf every other month for 2 years and have always stayed at the Courtyard. It's comforting to know the faces and names of those who work there and for them to greet me by name and with a ready smile. I have come to appreciate a soak in the hot tub after long and stressful days. I have a few favorite rooms and they always do their best to accommodate my preference. Thank you Hussein and staff for being there for me when I'm away from home!! See you again very soon!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 5, 2012

The cleanliness I have come to expect from the "new" Courtyards, not sure if this was a remodel or if the building itself is new (it looks to be a newer property); but the cleanliness was great. The location is close to every kind of shopping/coffee/food/etc in the area - right in the middle of it all. Staff was very helpful when they were needed, overall just a simple clean overnight stay for a business trip.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank hodels
Reviewed March 3, 2012

Clean, comfortable, convenient are all terms that come to mind with this chain. This one is no different. We were here for 2 nights and enjoyed our stay. There was only a few glaring deficits. The shower rod bows outward. This is a good thing. But what if someone hangs on it and the bow out now sags down? This is the way we found it. The real problem is that now the curtain pools down in the middle of the rod and will not stay completely extended to each end. Yes, you guessed it. Water all over the place. How did housekeeping and maintenance miss that? I can forgive. The first morning after my shower I stopped at the desk and told the gal. I expressed how much I wanted it fixed and to have a nice shower the next morning. We got back from our day out and it had not been fixed. Their only solution was to move us late in the evening to another room.
Our room was wrapped around the elevator and the floor was not spancrete. The walls allowed us to be privy to the conversations next door. Needless to say it was loud. The bed was comfortable enough that it was easy to go back to sleep.
We found a housekeeping card in the elevator. Yes, the one that opens all the doors. We turned it in, but what if someone else had found it?
This establishment is well set up for businessmen with expense accounts, but for a couple without one, not having a complementary breakfast bites.
Other than the negligence and swamp in the bathroom, It was a noisy but nice stay.

Room Tip: 217 and presumably 317 and 417 wrap around the elevator. Convenient, but noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mebejim
courtyardwaldorf, General Manager at Courtyard Waldorf, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2012

Dear Mebejim,

I am pleased that your overall stay was enjoyable during your recent visit to the Courtyard by Marriott, Waldorf. In regards to the shower rod I want to thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about the quality of service you received, on behalf of myself and my team, I sincerely apologize. As our guest, your satisfaction and patronage are very important to me. Therefore, I appreciate being notified of any instance involving poor service so that I am able to immediately address the situation. I also want to reassure you that if a houskeeping key is lost or not turned during our key inventory process it is immediately deactivated, but I thank you for returning it to the front desk.

Here At Courtyard by Marriott Waldorf, our service teams are expected to provide top-quality and attentive service to every guest, every time. Not only is this our standard, but anything less is unacceptable. We want you to feel confident knowing that when you choose Courtyard by Marriott all of your lodging needs will be met in a timely and professional manner. I want to assure you that I have discussed your concerns with my managers and team members and reiterated the importance of taking care of our guests.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

we stayed here over a long weekend. The hotel is very modern and looks updated. The staff at the desk were very friendly. Our room was very spacious and clean. it also had a fridge and microwave. The beds were just OK...I did alot of tossing and turning to get comfortable. Also the comforters were very thin. The indoor pool was small and not heated, but the hot tub was nice. we like the location of waldorf...its a good distance from all the major attractions. We didnt eat at the hotel because there are SO many restuarants surrounding it. Overall we enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family