“Beautiful space, good food but lewnes in Annapolis is better”
Review of Mitchum's Steak House - CLOSED

Mitchum's Steak House
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Maple Ave.
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Enjoyed dinner this past Saturday. We were able to secure an 8pm dinner reservation for a large party earlier that day. The venue is on a corner of a little town, off the beaten track. The space is beautifully and tastefully decorated. It was a bit loud inside and hard to hear others speaking at my table as well as the server. The wine from the list was not available so a substitute was made. I tasted the shrimp and grits and an oyster appetizer. They were the best part of my meal. I ordered the filet. For a 35-40$ steak, I expect it to melt under my knife. It did not. Our table shared the fries and spinach al la cart. The spinach lacked flavor and while the fries were seasoned well, I think a better effort could have been made to offer a more refined side dish.
The pumpkin cheesecake was good but one that left me wanting more. We ordered espresso and were told that the machine wasn't working. We were the last table to leave and it struck me odd that this was all of a sudden the machine was "broken". Our bill was well over 400$.
Is it a nice steakhouse? Yes. Is it better than Lewnes or Ruth Chris? No.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Beautiful space, decorated with posters starring former local Rober Mitchum. The food was delicious and beautifully prepared. My only complaint was lukewarm coffee! Great service. Easily accessible from nearby Cambridge.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Mitchum's Steakhouse, in tiny Trappe, MD ( pop. 1,085) is as good as a Palm or Ruth's Chris steakhouse. Classic upscale steakhouse look, with 5 or more quality cuts of beef on the menu. They get the temperature right. I asked for a NY strip steak charred, but medium, and it was perfect. So was the wife's medium-rare Delmonico. Sides are great, but the real surprises were the fish (black bass, flavored and cooked and presented perfectly) and the subtle flavors of the goat cheese ravioli (appetizer). Just great. Service is warm and professional. Hope the chef sticks around, because he is headed for a big-city sometime soon. Worth he drive from anywhere on Eastern Shore. You'll enjoy it.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

My husband and I were driving to Virginia Beach to visit my father- in-law for the 4th of July holiday, 2011. We noticed a sign for Mitchum's on the highway and decided to take a detour to check out the restaurant. Because it was an off-time, about 3:30pm, Mitchum's was not open for business. The staff, however, noticed us exploring the building and reading the menu, so the manager invited us in to see the space and, enthusiastically, explained the history of the place and the menu. His passion was infectious and the decor was gorgeous and quirky, rooted in Bob Mitchum movie posters. We promised to return. This past July 4th, we planned our return from Va Beach to permit an early dinner at Mitchum's. The meal, the service and atmosphere did not disappoint. We loved our steak dinner. As jaded New Yorkers accustomed to extremely elevated steakhouse experiences, we were impressed with Mitchum's. My husband's ribeye and my filet mignon were perfectly prepared to our order and the sides were sublime. The soft shell crab appetizer was a revelation - Maryland crab goodness and something I could not experience in NYC. This is not a paid post - just an accolade from foodies and explorers who love hidden discoveries. From now on, we will schedule our Mitchum's outing during our annual Va Beach excursion.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Having heard that Mitchum's was a good steak house, my husband and I went for a date night several days ago. The decor is nice and the wait staff was attentive. There was a movie playing (Robert Mitchum?) in the bar area which I found distracting since the room is completely open and our table was close to the bar area. While our steaks were good (Hanger steak and Filet), we felt that the sides of macaroni and cheese and sauteed spinach (which like at Chris Ruth's have to be purchased seperately) were only average and I could have executed just as well in my own kitchen. I had creme brulee for dessert which was tasty, but again, nothing fantastic. Overall, we felt that the meal was too expensive for what it was. With 2 glasses of wine and 2 mixed drinks, one dessert, 2 steaks and 2 sides the bill came to $165.