“Their secret is safe with me.”
Review of Republic

Republic
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Takoma Park
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 4, 2014

This is a wonderful place. An almost perfect balance between fine dining and lively environment.This would be a great restaurant anywhere; in staid until-recently dry Takoma Park, it's sen.sa.tion.al! They gotta work on their margaritas, but everything four of us have ordered in two visits has been excellent. And I mean excellent: gorgeous and perfectly cooked. I won't spoil the mystery of their risotto, best I've ever had. Congratulations, Republic folks, especially Chef Danny Wells. This is the real thing and it's great to find it--the way great restaurants were before the Day of the Chain--just sitting there on Carroll Ave. in Takoma Park all by its wonderful self.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

I have been eating at Jeff Black's restaurants for almost 15 years. He just cannot miss and Republic lives up to his exemplary standards. Located in the eclectic downtown Takoma Park, Republic brings an elevated dining experience to an area already full of interesting places to eat. The dining and bar area are large and outfitted in tufted red velvet banquettes and gorgeous gold and cream wall paper. It is a beautiful restaurant. The seasonally driven menu offers something for everyone. So far, I've eaten at Republic for lunch twice and for Mother's Day Brunch. Both times at lunch, I ordered a salad and added a protein. For brunch, I ordered one of the many eggs benedicts. The food was cooked perfectly and served hot. The waitstaff is attentive, knowledgeable, and efficient. There is a wonderful outdoor seating area that I expect to be packed until Fall. I cannot wait to dine here at night, and I also plan to return for the laundry list of live music they have playing throughout the summer.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The Republic has excellent food and environment for the money.
Takoma Park joins the Black's restaurant expansion and shows that the formula works brilliantly. The menu has very nice variations on the seafood, fresh local produce and booze formula. In this case a nice selection of fresh oysters added to well prepared seafood, local veggie dishes and special meat dishes goes over very well in the informal Takoma Park environment. The place is regularly packed!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food is excellent, and we had dinner there twice in three days. The wine selection is good though pricey. The soft-shelled-crab specials are terrific. However, it is sad to see a restaurant in the heart of liberal Takoma Park serve skate, a fish on the Monterey Bay Aquarium red list, i.e. overfished and endangered. Perhaps the chef will review that list soon!

1  Thank LibraPi
Reviewed May 26, 2014

Black's is coming. Black's is coming. I thought the Prophet himself was returning. I'm mean--the food is ok and the service, at the bar, REALLY sucks. I've been twice - once when it first opened -- big mistake -- and six months later. No happy hour at first visit and it took 20 minutes and 4 ppl to ring up one glass of mediocre red wine and a cosmo for a friend - $22 (WTH). Did I mention my card was swiped before taking the order? Second time, finally a happy hour, 15 minutes before ringing my order of 1 gl of vino and oysters. Ches Bay oysters were fresh and tasty. Sorry Black's fans. I'm just not impressed. Olive Lounge and Roscoe's do a better job, are more attentive, and cheaper.

2  Thank amiddl2016