“Sorry, not again”

Ranked #2 of 3 Takoma Park B&B and Inns
montgomery
“Sorry, not again”
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We have stayed here several times, hoping that they are improving the premises. We have usually stayed on the first floor.

However, despite its excellent location, we won't be back.

Nothing has improved. The rooms are cramped, with rickety old furniture. On our last visit, the chair fell apart in my hands. The bed slopes, because for years people have sat on one corner to watch TV. The bathroom is huge and the shower is good, but there's a handicap frame over the toilet which is not fastened properly.

The parking lot has a HUGE hole in the middle of the driveway.

The price charged me was much higher than what their website says.

Obviously this is a family run establishment (nothing wrong with that) but it's operated as a sideline.

I wish I could say better things, because the staff (family) has always been friendly. The cafe next door is great, as are two restaurants just up the street.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank foodmontgomery

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Washington State
Reviewed June 28, 2009

It was not clean. The breakfasts consisted of cold cereal, burned toast, burned sausage, overcooked coffee (bitter) (I think they reheated it every morning until it was all gone...then made a new pot). We ended up going out to eat. The room was never made up. The towels were never changed. When I went into the kitchen, I noticed towels on the floor in front of the kitchen sink (no dishwasher). When I opened the cupboard doors under the sink, there was a large bucket into which the drain was emptying. It was full with floating food in it. Needless to say, I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bethkwebb
Vermont
Reviewed April 29, 2009

We had such an uncomfortable experience through and through that we considered leaving and staying at another inn after settling into our room late at night. The staff is friendly but the room we stayed in was the dingiest room that I have ever seen. The wall hangings were crooked, the wall was made of painted particle board, the carpet was dirty, the beds sagged, and the air conditioner did not work. In addition, the other guests in the house were very suspicious and we could hear through the walls. The shared bathroom was not clean and there was no way that we were going to eat breakfast there. And this is all after spending a good deal on a room. The internet did not work in our room and our room was about 100 degrees. It was cooler outside. I would rather drive further out to a chain motel or hotel than stay at this place again.

Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank birdwhisperer
New York
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Building was dingy inside and out. We had one of the more expensive rooms, with a private bath, but it didn't look like we had paid $150 for it. There were plastic cups stacked in the bathroom on top of a dirty paper towel, next to a bunch of electrical wires. The towels were thin and scratchy. Breakfast was only served between 8:30-9:30, later than we wanted, and when we arrived to eat at 8:30, we were told that it wasn't ready yet, and that we should wait. After waiting in the LR for another half hour, we checked back with the kitchen and discovered that they had just finished cooking our food -- dirty-looking eggs scrambled in sausage fat, one very greasy slice of sausage. and no toast. We had to ask for toast, for a pat of rancid butter, for tea bags, and then for milk for our tea. We left for the day, and when we returned around 5 pm, we discovered that our room still hadn't been made up. The next morning, we hurried out through the unpleasant-smelling hall and paid for a better breakfast at the cafe next door. We'll gladly travel a greater distance to avoid this B&B the next time we visit Takoma Park.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MSPVNewYork
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We stayed here for the inauguration. It was the only place I found that didn't raise their rates 2 or 3 times the usual for the event. There were many problems with this inn.

First, I booked by phone. I was told there were two rooms available, and I chose the one I wanted, with a king bed and mini fridge. I never got a confirmation, so I e-mailed them again a week or so later to make sure we really had the reservation, since the city was selling out fast. I got the e-mail confirmation back, but we were in a room with twin beds instead. When I contacted them again, I was told that I could have my original room for only part of my stay, if we wanted to move. We decided to say in one room and not deal with a move.

When we arrived, the front desk told us that our room had been changed, so we could have a full bed. We ended up in the Safari Room. The room was small and cramped, with the bed against the wall along 2 sides. As a result, one person has to climb over the other one, or down the foot of the bed to exit and enter. The mattress wasn't that comfortable, either. They had wireless internet, but we could barely get a signal. We had to sit in the "living room" to get a functional connection. Unfortunately, the first floor was freezing. The desk clerk had a space heater under the desk, but my fingers were going numb while sitting downstairs. I don't know why they chose not to heat it.

Our room had a shared bathroom. Unfortunately, it was not well-designed or managed. First, there were not enough towels. The room was cleaned at a designated time each day. One day, after that time, there were still only 2 clean towels in the room, ready for the next day. Unfortunately, there were several rooms that were full and used that bathroom.

I don't think the owners have ever taken a shower in that bathroom, or they would realize the poorly functional design. It is a clawfooted tub, placed against the wall, with a sloped roof. So, once you manage to climb in without breaking your neck, it's hard to avoid whacking your arms on the roof while you're washing your hair. Fortunately, I'm only 5'4", so I didn't hit my head, but another inch or two, and I would have had a hard time standing up. There was no shower curtain, and a hand-held shower head without a mounting pole. The end result is that you have to hold the shower head in your hand, trying to spray yourself while containing it within the tub, which is impossible unless you sit in the tub to bathe. Instead, I got water all over the place-- large puddles on the floor, on the mirror, on the toilet paper roll, on the paper towels, everywhere. And, with insufficient towels to clean up. And, because the shower is not enclosed with curtains or doors, and the water is running down into the bottom of the tub, not over you, while you're not specifically rinsing off (after being careful to place the shower head in a downward facing position-- a difficult task-- because it would spray up and out otherwise), you're freezing cold as the water all evaporates off you, in an under-heated room.

The inn is close to the Metro, a few minute walk away, and an easy trip into the city. There is a great cafe next door. Good food and a cool atmosphere. Some of the rooms, especially those with private baths, may have been better. I can only speak to the room we were in, and they're all apparently different. They serve breakfast. But one day we slept in past the time, and the next day we were out too early for it. So, I can't comment on that. They have a parking lot they share with the cafe, but it was cramped. I doubt there are enough spots if every guest drove in.

We booked for 3 nights, but had to leave after 2 due to an unexpected, unrelated, issue that arose. We were looking forward to the next hotel on the road to take a good shower and get a good night's sleep.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Hilton Garden Inn Silver Spring North
Hampton Inn Silver Spring
Hampton Inn Silver Spring
#2 of 12 in Silver Spring

Been to Eden Park Guest House? Share your experiences!