“So glad I did not look at reviews”

Eden Park Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Takoma Park B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“So glad I did not look at reviews”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed at EPGH, not o long ago and i was woried about reviews. My stay was great and I enjoyed my breakfast. Unlike he the other reviews-beakfast was awesome: waffles, eggs, sauges. My husband and I loved it. The staff were friendly and helpful. I will come back when visiting my daughter.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Beds were had as rocks, light came in through the wind since there were no blinds and the drapes covered the ac unit. Share a bathroom, which ok, but there was only a tub with a hand held spary in which the hot and cold were switched. A black dog stood on the top of the steps and scared me to death. He/she was friendly, but like ghost wandering about. Charge was way more than what we recieved. Breakfast consisted of stale cereal (no milk) Milk powder that was old an clumpy and stale cereal. We had to go out for breakfast (Marks's was wonderful) Never saw the owner, had to call all day to get someone to talk to about reservations. The place was clean. The young woman on the front desk was gracious, but didn't check the quality of the foot. There was a tray with waffles and muffins, all cold with no syup. Care of house was clean, but poorly maintained, wall paint just slopped on.

Room Tip: Get a room with a bathroom, the sharing is or the birds.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Elliebeans
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I stayed here on a Saturday night as I had a family wedding to attend in Maryland in Sunday. My family had nine rooms rented out which I think is the entire building, so we didn't have any problems with people having a "good time" across the hall, thankfully. The air conditioning in the room worked pretty well on a muggy evening and the bed fine. Not a modern room by any means, but quaint perhaps.

Bathtub on the top floor had almost zero water pressure, which made showering on the morning of the wedding difficult. I'm told the showers on lower levels worked better, but who really wants to deal with going up and down stairs after showering? Breakfast was filling and somewhat diverse -- frumpy-looking crossaints with egg, mega-sized donuts clearly purchased from Costco, oatmeal, bananas, bagels. The best part was definitely a fruit bouquet set up in the middle of our dining table, which resembled a meeting room for a 4-H Club.

I didn't pay for this so I cannot comment on value for money, and the neighborhood is mediocre so I can't say I would stay in this place again, though it was suitable for one evening.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank jrh825
Claremont, California
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I paid in advance for my room which was supposed to have two beds (I was traveling with another female) and even though I could show that I paid for the tow-bed room in advance they charged me over a hundred dollars more at the end of my stay for the "upgrade." The bathroom on our floor (the third floor, no less) had no soap, shampoo or conditioner in the dispenser next to the bathtub with a handheld shower device, but no shower curtain around it. We had to use the bathroom on the floor below. During our stay they closed that bathroom to recaulk it. After we arrived we were told that there was an additional charge to clean our room ($10 per day). I could add a lot more, but I will just say that I would never stay there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone else.

Room Tip: The rooms with private bath might have been better. On my last day there I couldn't even get a c...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barbara P
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I booked a three night stay on Orbitz, with the understanding that once the reservation was accepted I would be charged a non refundable one night stay. It wasn't until I received the Orbitz confirmation that I saw that I would be charged the full three nights even if I left early, I didn't think much of it until I got to the bb and saw why they needed to do have this policy. It was a horrible site. The bb does not have the welcoming appearance when you drive up, when you go in its even worse. I gave it a chance anyway because I was tired and just wanted a comfy, clean bed. When I got to the room I didn't even walk in, it was tiny, the shared bathroom was tiny and although I was the only one staying that night it was still not a bathroom that I wanted to use. I felt like I was at a hostel as opposed to a bb. If I wanted to stay at a hostel I would have booked one. I left and thought it over, I could not bring myself to stay there one night- this coming from a person who grew up in the inner city and was used to poor sleeping conditions!! I cannot comment on the breakfast as I did not stay. Nevertheless, based upon the overall ambiance of the "b&b", I shudder to think what it could be. I returned the key, left and wasted over 300.00 since I had booked the room for 3 nights at a $92 a night rate. I found a deal at the Sheraton in Silver Springs for 92$ a night and stayed there for the rest of my time and ate a cute diner up the block. For the 92 a night I found for Eden, I got a nicer room, with a private bath and better peace of mind. This is why they have to charge you everything up front- when you get there you are pot committed because you spent so much money and can't get any of it back, in this economy you don't have much choice. This BB is a scam!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank VrmSjm1018
Southern NJ
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here a year ago (not in Feb. 2012). Don't know if it has improved but at the time we had a front room. Heard the buses going around the corner all night long and the cafe next store getting deliveries in the early morning hours. Someone across the hall was having a "good time." Room was clean but that was about it. Shared bath was not barely functional. Breakfast was a disaster! Could not even find the diningroom at first. Cold eggs, toast, and coffee. They had to run out for milk.

Room Tip: try staying in a back room it might be quieter
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank russofSNJ
Takoma Park, Maryland, United States
Reviewed October 1, 2012

The website urges customers to "fully review the room features" before reserving a room, but there is very little available about the rooms published on the website. Their street sign advertises it as a "bed and breakfast," but the website says that it is only a continental breakfast.

When I went in person to inspect the conditions, I was informed of a toilet overflow, and that I would need to to call to make an appointment. When I eventually canceled my reservation more than ten days in advanced, Etty Bella told me that I was ineligible for a refund, despite that I was complying with the stated policy of canceling more than ten days in advance.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Hilton Garden Inn Silver Spring North
Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown
Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown
#4 of 12 in Silver Spring

Been to Eden Park Guest House? Share your experiences!