“Pricey, nothing to call home about.”

Hemingway's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Hemingway's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 37 Restaurants in Stevensville
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2013

In doing our summer road trip, we decided to cross over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. As soon as we did, we saw the Hemingway's and decided to try it. The location itself is beautiful and the restaurant had that oceanside decor. The food was not awesome, the server mixed up our orders, and even forgot to take my husband's order. For the price, I'd say the food was ordinary. The ambience was however awesome.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Sat inside because it was so hot out, but right near the window . Had a perfect view of the Bay and the bridge. Loved the way the place is decorated. It wasnt too busy . Service was fine food came out quick. Had the "Grapefruit Crush " coctail which was yummy. Then had some garlic mussels and sea food chef salad. Both were very good. I enjoyed it.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My husband and I had lunch at Hemingway's on a Sunday afternoon not long ago. They were not terribly busy, with more than half the tables empty. The first thing that we noticed on our way to the table was how dirty the floor was with crumbs and pieces of food and used napkins. We were seated at a booth with crumbs and water rings on the table. When we pointed this out to the waiter a busboy was sent over with a dirty rag and he swiped a couple times over complaining that he had already cleaned the table. Well, the table was still dirty after he left. It seems that the marine map of the Bay on the tabletops made it hard for someone standing to see just how dirty the table was. We asked the waiter again if we could have our table cleaned and he returned with a spray bottle and began spraying the table (and our clothes!) and finally did a complete cleaning of the table. Next I discovered that my knife and fork had an oily residue on them that had rubbed off onto my hands (disgusting!) and I had to ask for a new set. If all that wasn't bad enough the food was really disapointing and overpriced for what you get. My husband's soup was barely warm. $9 for soup that's not even hot? My crab melt was on only half an english muffin (every other restaraunt in town serves both halves of the english muffin for this dish). So, for $17 I got half an english muffin with some crab salad on top and a plate full of sweet potato fries. The waiter had to be flagged down for any requests, the busboys stood around doing nothing while the tables and floors remained filthy, and we never saw anyone who looked like they could be the manager the whole time we were there. This place deserves better management! They spent a ton of money to rebuild this beautiful restaraunt in one of the best locations on Kent Island and the service and the food suck. What a shame. We are locals and eat out a couple times a week, but we are not likely to be coming back here anytime soon.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Hemingway's has an absolutely lovely setting with an amazing view of the Bay Bridge. They have several wonderful outside seating areas, we chose to sit under cover behind the outdoor dining area.

We decided to order an appetizer and drinks. The place was empty so service wasn't an issue. We ordered the spinach artichoke crab dip and I ordered a pina colada. The pina coloda was bitter and full of pieces of chipped ice. Not smooth and slushy as it should have been.

Then there was the dip. One of the most awful things I've ever tried to eat. Not creamy and rich as I expected, but thin with a flat flavor. Not only was the dip terrible (we noticed a table of 4 seated behind us sent over half of theirs back uneaten) it was served with tortilla chips that had no business being served with it. These salty heavily seasoned chips added a flavor that does not go with this type of dip at all (chef take note), they belong with a salsa and pita chips or some other neutral chip should be served with this dip.

A friend told us they were known for poor service and trying to correct it, I think they need to be concerned about their food.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

After 3 days of mediocre crab dishes highly seasoned with thyme I wanted one last crab dish before we left the Eastern Shore. Having seen the Hemingways as we drove East we searched and were pleasantly surprised. Their crab dishes were great. We had our best meals in days and watched an amazing sunset and traffic on the bridge. Also got to see a proposal on the their dock as we ate. Next time we will eat at Hemingways going both directions to the shore.