“A pleasant way to spend some time and sip some wine”
Review of Basignani Winery

and up
Patapsco Valley Region Wine Tour
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Sparks
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I found the Travelzoo certificate and thought it would be something fun to do. It was! Driving south on I-83 from PA, we got off the interstate early and took some beautiful back roads to the winery.
I thought the tasting room was very cozy. It is dusty, which I think is kind of weird and some skylights in the roof would really brighten the place up, but I liked the atmosphere. It wasn't too busy when we arrived so we had no problem getting a "server" to walk us thru our selections. Brenda was a lot of fun to talk and joke with.
Our cheese plate had nice size chunks/slices of brie, parmesan, asiago and a figgy goat cheese. How can you go wrong with wine and cheese I ask you?
I tried all their reds. I'm accustomed to PA wines which generally are very sweet. And I thought this winery had more balance in their wines. My personal favorites were the Marisa which was their sweetest red and their Cabernet which had the most incredible fresh, jammy, fruity smell. Just delicious. We had quite a bit of cheese left over after the 8-tastings we each had, so my bf bought a glass of wine and we sat outside with their border collie and enjoyed a gorgeous autumn day.
When it was time to check out I got my free bottle of wine. I could have had their Lorenzo Reserve, but I preferred the Cab, and since the Cab was cheaper, they had no problem switching it for me. We ended up buying a bottle of the Marisa, the Marisa Dolce and the Cab. We really enjoyed our visit and we'll go back in the spring when the buds are blooming on the back roads of Carroll County.

1  Thank clarebear05

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Since I live in wine country in VA my guidelines are a bit tougher than most. Basignani is a nice place to visit but I think this is one of those, visit once seen enough places. Don't get me wrong, some of the wines are quite nice (we bought a half case), but the sitting areas and common spaces leave much to be desired. I recommend management take a visit to Fauquier county VA or Charlottesville, VA to get a better idea of what I'm talking about, the wineries down that way are great for relaxing, sipping wine, eating artisanal cheeses, listening to live music and just an overall scenic environment that doesn't feel like you are camping in the woods.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband and I recently visited and have mixed feelings about the visit. On the bright side, we did like the wines we tasted. Our wine tasting fee ($5 I think) allowed us to select 6 wines so we each chose different wines to get a diverse sampling. Having visited many wineries in Maryland and Virginia, the wines were pretty good. As someone who makes sangria at home, I did enjoy their bottled sangria and my husband really enjoyed Eric's Big Zin - I actually enjoyed some of the sangria last night. The grounds outside are nice and offer ample seating to enjoy your wine and take in the sun. On the not so bright side, the tasting room is a bit cluttered and has dogs walking around. I am allergic to dogs so did not enjoy the one dog that kept coming over to rub up on my leg. Also, the wine tasting pours were on the small side. If they declutter, get rid of the dogs and offer more substantial pours, I think the place could be great. They offer brick oven pizza/movie nights on Fridays during the summer so the place definitely has potential.

2  Thank Boricua78
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Their tasting is very expensive and even if you go with a coupon (groupon) it is still a rip off. the "pours" are more like sips, and I could not taste enough wine to figure out if I liked it. There were no wines worth buying and I'm not that fussy!! In addition to the small pours, we had to pick only a few wines from the list (even though we paid a lot of money for a tasting!) so my husband and I tried different wines. As a result, we couldn't really agree on wines and buy a bunch of bottles like we normally do. That really ruined the enjoyment for me. Wouldnt you rather discuss the wines with the person you go with? Their set up is not conducive to that . So it was their loss, as their nasty stingy policies just hurt them in the end.
I totally believe others who said they gave them plastic glasses and so forth, as I agree, we were shuffled in and out in a very unfriendly manner (again, considering my friends and I dropped a LOT of money on this place.)
Not worth a return trip. I'll go somewhere else, where I can taste the wine!!

3  Thank frequenttravler36
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Enjoyed a relaxing afternoon enjoying a wide range of wines while listening to Bert and Lynn share their history of he winery. Wines were mostly in the European vs. California style. Cabs were good, but my favorites were the Port and a very light, but fruity Riesling.

3  Thank Jfkaskie