“Not as bad as we expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina

Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Solomons
Rockville, MD
“Not as bad as we expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

I read the reviews and expected the worst. Not to bad. The hotel is older, but not horrible. I did a lot of price shopping and opted for this hotel, gave it a shot. Our first room had a few minor flaws and I called down to the front desk and asked housekeeping to take care of it in the morning. Shortly after the call we got a visit from a manager and they were kind enough to up grade our room. The staff worked to make us happy and make our stay pleasant. The hotel is old, needs some work, but for the price, view and location, it works. If you have an issue with your room, call the front desk and they will take care of it. Believe me, we have had worse and paid more. We will consider staying here again.

• Liked — View from our room
  • Disliked — Older hotel, needs some updating
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Metro DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2008

We stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day and had a wonderful time. We were return guests, but it had been several years since we visited. After reading the recent Trip Advisor reviews, I was concerned.
We were thrilled when we found that the hotel was as good as we remembered and maybe even better. Everyone at the front desk was welcoming. We were allowed to check in early and out late the next day since they were not full. Our room was wonderful with a great view.
The pool was clean and the grounds were just as great as we remembered. Susan, the bartender, was awesome. In short we had a great stay and would not hesitate to return. In fact we will probably go back again over the summer.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds, friendly service
  • Disliked — n/a
Silver Spring, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

We stayed at this property over the weekend of May 17 for a local wedding- Saturday night only. We were able to check right in at about 2 o’clock. Front staff was nice, although not overly great. They forgot to give me the guest welcome package from the bride & groom. I requested a “water view” room which they gave me overlooking the harbor (beats a parking lot view any day). Our room was in the “second wing” of the hotel. They are just recently remodeling this space. The room was larger than expected. New linens with a duvet covered down comforter. The bathroom counter was granite- nice upgrade. But, in terms of quality, that’s about where it ends. The bathroom had dirty towels left over from the previous guest, and the counter had toothpaste spots. Not sure the bathroom had been cleaned between guests. YUCK. I requested new towels which were promptly brought by staff. The shower stall & tiles were old & stained. The carpet was the same.
The guests of the wedding party met for brunch Sun morning at the hotel’s restaurant. I think it was $12.99/person for a decent buffet- omelet & waffle stations. But, no fresh fruit. We received our check for 2 buffet purchases & we saw an automatic 20% tip included (somewhat annoying since it was a buffet & I got my own food & coffee.)
Overall, I’d recommend staying somewhere else.

But, on a side note, next to the hotel, there is a fabulous hole in the wall bar & grill- The Naughty Gull. Fabulous & inexpensive food. Family owned & family friendly.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — dirty bathroom
LaPlata, Maryland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2008

I stayed this past weekend (May 2nd-4th) and was less than impressed. I was a guest that was part of a wedding party and found the hotel staff to be unfriendly and not very accommodating. This hotel is not in the business of pleasing their guests. I'm not sure if this is due to strict hotel policies, but to sum up in one word. The hotel showed no signs of hospitality. I would definitely NOT reccommend this hotel.

Atlanta, GA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2008

When I arrived at the hotel to check-in, there was this huge commotion going on over the fact that the whole hotel was flooding on the 3rd floor... guests were showing up complaining one after the other. When I finally got my turn at the reception desk, was told that they had my reservation, but had apparently given it to someone else with a similar name by mistake... and that there were no more rooms available for the night. Upon further discussion with the manager, it was finally revealed that they had a "suite" available at a much higher rate, $300/night that they would be willing to give me for just one night at the rate I was promised in my reservation. So I check into the room and discover there was no shower anywhere in the room. Only one bathroom with an oversized square tub coming out to the point where it was flush with the edge of the toilet seat. In other words, you would have to sit at the toilet turned at a 45 deg angle away from the tub in order to use it. There was no showerhead installed, however, so I presume they expected their guests in this $300/night suite to only wallow around in the bathtub to get clean - while avoiding the toilet seat. In the morning I was awakened by this soft jiggling at my door handle... that persisted for several minutes. It was not the standard knock at the door followed by "house keeping..."... It was a very subtle jiggling of the handle, for several minutes... until someone had managed to pick the lock with a room key I imagine and open the door silently. When the upper lock caught the door, they quickly retreated away from the room without ever saying a word. I was able to look through the keyhole just after this happened, however, and noticed a hunchbacked old man in a hotel uniform fleeing the scene. I felt really violated by that whole experience. I have stayed at many hotels in my day and have never had someone attempt to break into my room like that while most of the guests were away. Another thing, when I opened the door and looked out after this event, there were no other cleaning crew on my hall. So it was clearly not the cleaning crew just making their rounds... this was something else the old-man had going on the side. Needless to say, I checked out that morning and have never darkened their doorstep again.

• Liked — Having my room broken into in the middle of the night
  • Disliked — The lack of a shower anywhere in the room.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank dellis123
San Diego
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2008

I stayed at this hotel a few times for business travel. This will definately be my last time due to an overall disgusting experience over time. The front desk is clueless. It's as if they hire temps who work for a week and never return. The rooms have not been renovated for probably 20 years. Rarely will the room have all the lights or outlets working. The carpet has not been changed since the opening of this hotel. I wore my sandals at all times for fear of catching something from the bacteria/dirt/bugs that are in that carpet. If you wear white socks on this carpet, forget about it! If you stomp your feet on the carpet, you will see a grey cloud of dust pop up. I should of called a hazmat team. I had a "suite" there and the size of the room is great, but the kitchenette area is distrubing. The ground is so sticky with filth your feet stick to it and the refrigerator is gross and probably keeps your food cold at about 68 degrees F. Probably only good to store a sandwich for an hour or so.
I found some left over garbage from past guests in the drawers. The shower is also an issue, you get plenty of water pressure but adjusting to comfortable temperature and not boiling hot or ice cold needs the steady hand of a bomb squad technician. The morning breakfast is a joke. There is only 1 working washing machine and no working dryer, they are "out of order" as the hand scribbled sign affixed to them states and has been there for about a year. The location of this hotel is great, but that's about all it has going for it. The Holiday Inn chain should be embaressed to allow this dump to display it's sign on the building. About 1 mile up the road there is a Hilton Garden Inn, that is brand new and the staff actually care about giving you a nice experience. It's a Hilton, and the Hilton chain would not allow a hotel to degrade and still carry the Hilton Brand.

• Liked — Location on the water.
  • Disliked — The dirtiness of the rooms and service.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
Raleigh, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2008

Well, needless to say after reading the reviews here, we were not looking forward to this, but it was a last minute trip due to a death in the family. We arrived thinking "this is going to be a dump", only to be pleasantly welcomed by very friendly staff (we are priority club members and received the "welcome gift") and found our room to be very adequate, considering what we paid for the room. The beds were comfortable, there were no bugs, or anything in significant disrepair. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly, and we enjoyed our 2 night stay. We received vouchers for the dining room and vouchers for free drinks. We dined in the dining room for breakfast one morning and the food was very good. I would not hesitate to stay here again. It always amazes me when I read reviews on TA, I must either be completed low-maintenance, or some people must not actually stay at these places.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solomons
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
Quality Inn Beacon Marina
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
#1 of 9 in Lexington Park
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lexington Park-California
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
Chesapeake Beach Resort and Spa
#1 of 1 in Chesapeake Beach

Been to Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina? Share your experiences!