“Back Creek Inn inspires”
Review of Back Creek Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Solomons
Back Creek Inn
Ranked #2 of 6 Solomons B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glen Burnie, Maryland
“Back Creek Inn inspires”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This was my first visit to Carol Pennock's Back Creek Inn and I'm hooked. You have a choice of six rooms or a private cottage, overlooking the water and surrounded by gardens that are as perfect as her artwork. The aromas coming from the kitchen were nearly intoxicating. The staff is terrific and helpful, the location is superb, and the accommodations are top notch. The Back Creek Inn is a Solomons destination although there are plenty of things to see and do around town.

Room Tip: I stayed in Rosemary (all herb names) on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank JoodyC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 18, 2011

This is an absolutely wonderful B&B to enjoy yourself with a great location on the water in beautiful Solomons Island, MD. Pampered by Carol, the owner, and her wonderful staff, especially Marcia, who cooks a fantastic breakfast. Carol's artwork is displayed throughout the cottage and rooms of the main house. My wife and I brought along our kayaks and toured both Back Creek and adjacent Mill Creek, both nice waterways with many coves to explore. The town itself is a great place to just walk around and explore with many restaurants within easy walking distance. Go enjoy yourself here!

Room Tip: See the website for photos and views.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JimiMac74
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I checked out this B&B on TripAdvisor and made reservations for three nights – just to relax (I’m a widower, now in my 80’s). It was an excellent choice and I thought the B&B ideal. I just reread the many reviews and find I can’t add much without being repetitive. So just a couple of things: 1) Not only is the owner pleasant but so are all the staff members. Helpful, pleasant but not hovering or intrusive so I could enjoy both social contacts and privacy! 2) The B&B has just the right amount of stuff around. I’ve been in B&Bs that have so much gee-gaws, knick-knacks, and “antiques” lying about that there is no room for any personal “stuff”. 3) The breakfasts are, of course, outstanding – three mornings: a first with a ham and cheese omelet, a second with Eggs Benedict, and a third with French Toast and sausages. All accompanied with fresh fruit. Plus great coffee. 4) The use of a bicycle was very much appreciated to tour the town and to really test out my three-month old knee replacement! 5) A special thank-you is due one of the staff who spent a lot of time on the telephone, finally locating for me a place that could make for me a Stuffed Ham Sandwich, a somewhat rare treat indigenous to St. Mary’s County. 6) The B&B is within walking distance of three of the better restaurants in the village. 7) It is a real pleasure to sit outside, glass of wine in hand, looking out over the water and the many sails on the Back Creek of Solomons.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank oldguy78
Rockville, MD
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at Back Creek Inn. This was also our first visit to Solomons Island. We enjoyed both the inn and the location and hope to return when the weather is more comfortable. Unfortunately, the heat, humidity, and mosquitoes limited our ability to enjoy the terrific location of this inn, which has a back lawn that goes down to Back Creek (hence the name of the inn) and is also about a block from the walkway and benches along the Patuxent Riverwhat they call Riverwalk. It's also walking distance or short driving distance to several restaurants and tourist sights.
The inn is homey and comfortable, nicely decorated but not luxurious. It is an old house and as such has some quirks, such as the seemingly tilted floor especially in the hallway and bathroom. We stayed in the Chamomile room, which had a comfortable bed in a decent-size bedroom plus a large bathroom. There are a couple of chairs in the room but they are not the most comfortable for sitting and reading for more than a short time.
The staff is attentive to your needs when there and are available either on the premises or by phone when not visible. There are a lot of nice touches, such as free snacks (cookies and pretzels in the kitchen, plus mini chocolates in your room) and drinks (coffee, iced and hot tea) 24 hours a day. Cold bottled water and soda cans are available for $1 in the fridge in the kitchen. We also found a cupcake with balloons in our room at checkin--when I reserved the room I mentioned that we were both celebrating a birthday, so it was nice to have that remembered.
The bathroom towels were plentiful and good quality, and they provide bathrobes. There was a large dispenser of Herbal Essence shampoo in the shower, which was nice, but there was no conditioner; luckily, I brought my own. One thing that seemed odd was that there was a Softsoap (handsoap) dispenser in the shower next to the shampoo--I guess it was meant to be used as body soap. However, I did find a small bar of soap in a basket with a loofah pad and makeup remover towel by the sink, so I used that bar in the shower.
Breakfasts were tasty and filling. The regular breakfast was served at 8:30 but Sunday brunch (a buffet) began at 9--something to take into account if you plan early activities. However, juice, hot drinks, and coffee cake were available earlier than the breakfast and brunch start times.
Our room had an air conditioner and it worked fine; it was not completely quiet but we slept well anyway (probably helped that we took Ambien). However, the common areas on the first floor were quite hot at times. There were a couple of times when we wanted to sit in the living area and read before going up to our room, but it was too uncomfortable. One of those times I asked if the air conditioner in the room could be turned on, and that improved the situation, but the other time there was no one around to ask and I didn't want to call someone to do this.
Overall we were satisfied with this inn and will probably return.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank freedshop
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 16, 2011

We enjoyed a lovely weekend at the Back Creek Inn this summer. The staff was so friendly and hospitable...even waited up for our late arrival. The Inn is so relaxing and peaceful and a perfect getaway for a low key weekend away. Breakfast both mornings was delicious. The Inn is decorated with lovely art work, most of it by Carole the owner, we even bought a piece upon checking out.
Our room was small but cozy but could use a facelift and I wasn't particularly fond of the carpeted bathroom. Everything else about our stay was wonderful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tansy Room, if I were to go back, I would likely try a different room.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I were visiting a son working nearby...he suggested we find a B&B on Solomon's Island. After looking over the possibilities we chose Back Creek...and each staff member was "just right". Kitchen staff assisted us to leave early so we could go "crabbing" with our son a o'dark thirty. Then when we decided to go out early fishing the next day on a head boat (Bunky's was great), they allowed us to check out, retrieve our bags at noon, and remove the "fish aroma" prior to flying back home. The gardener was delightful...the food delicious, the owner...what a joy! Their suggestions of the Museum, the CD Cafe and boating were right on! Thanks for making our stay a real treat.

Room Tip: Thyme was easily accessible from the street, lots of space and lighting was very relaxing.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reading PA
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We spend 2 nights at the Inn with our friends for our annual weekend getaway. What a beautiful house it was. We had a beautiful view of the bay. The house has a beautiful garden you can sit at to relax. The hospitality was amazing. A huge thanks to Monica, Sherry and Sara. You are all wonderful and made our stayed very enjoyable. Will definitely be returning back in the future.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Solomons
Holiday Inn Solomons Conference Center and Marina
Hilton Garden Inn Solomons
Quality Inn Beacon Marina
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lexington Park (Patuxent River Naval Air Station)
Island Inn and Suites
Island Inn and Suites
#1 of 1 in Piney Point
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
Hampton Inn Lexington Park
#1 of 9 in Lexington Park

Been to Back Creek Inn? Share your experiences!