“Excellent food and service”
Review of CD Cafe

CD Cafe
Ranked #3 of 36 Restaurants in Solomons
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Obviously an off season review. If you're a food snob, i.e. you go to restaurants 1) to be seen there or 2) so you can write angst-filled reviews about how terribly pedestrian they are compared to the restaurants you're used to in DC, Philly, NY, etc., go read some other review. If you go to restaurants because you're hungry (which means you occasionally will eat BK or McD), like good food that doesn't look a culinary school project and want a nice night out with your significant other, read on.

Spouse and I arrived at the connected bar at 5 pm, at which time the bar-waiter told us the restaurant would be opening at 5:30. We could be seated in the bar and be in queue for a table at C.D., which is what we did. We were given a "ticket" that put us in queue for the restaurant. My wife had a white sangria and I had a domestic lager. At 5:30 the waiter announced those with tickets could proceed at their leisure to the restaurant, which we did. This is a very small restaurant as noted by other reviewers. The waitress was very prompt and friendly. We both had the cream of crab soup. While it was tasty, I think if I would have had to guess what kind of soup it was without knowing, I would've said potato soup. There were no potatoes in it, and not a lot of crab, but some. It was good, just not what I was expecting. I had the surf and turf, my wife had a tenderloin. The surf portion was two large shrimp stuffed with crab imperial. They were excellent. The turf portion was a 6 or so oz. tenderloin that was perfectly prepared as I asked for it (medium well). My wife's tenderloin was an enormous slab o' meat that was about an inch thick and about the size of an iPhone. It too was perfectly done (medium). Both were very flavorful and so tender you could cut them with a fork. Desert was a chocolate-peanut butter pave (which is something like a cross between a cake and mousse - solid, but not cake like - was obviously cut from a larger...whatever paves are when they're bigger than an individual serving). This was nicely, but not overpoweringly chocolate; couldn't make out any peanut butter but it was so good as it was it wouldn't have added anything.

In terms of price, I gave this $$$. It was worth what I paid, about $75 before tip. To me, this is not gaspingly expensive for a rare treat sans children; Ruth's Chris is breathtakingly expensive, and while good, the price is such that it detracts from the experience. CD Café is not like that - you're getting what you pay for here.

4  Thank phsinv

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This place is a gem. The service was great and the food was even better. My wife had some delicious mahi mahi, and I had salmon over rissotta that was crazy good. I highly recommend you eat here.

1  Thank TBone0910
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

And our expectations were high! This restaurant came highly recommended not only by fellow Trip Advisors but also by our innkeeper at the Solomon Victorian Inn. My husband and I couldn't decide so we choose two entrees to share...one off the regular menu and one off the specials. The menu item was Pan Roasted Salmon with artichokes, pine nuts and wilted spinach over the best risotto we've ever eaten and topped with a rosemary burre blanc sauce. To say this item is delicious doesn't do it justice. Simply outstanding.

The special item was Mahi topped with glazed pears and onions and melted brie served over black Himalayan black rice with asparagus. Again, another amazingly creative and delicious meal! We live almost two hours away from Solomon's and we would drive here again just for this meal. Don't miss CD Cafe...we went on a Sunday night and didn't have to wait. The waitress stood at the bar finishing up something and directed us to our table by pointing. No worries...the service was efficient and unobtrusive but the food was fantastic.

1  Thank EDR1966
Reviewed January 29, 2014

CD Cafe has eclectic offerings like hummus and curry chicken salad, and their creme brûlée and cheesecakes are to die for. The cafe stands on its own as an inviting Solomons Island experience.

1  Thank Ozoner51
Reviewed January 13, 2014

My brother who lives in Maryland took me and my 90-year old mother to the cafe for dinner, and it was outstanding. It can get quite busy, especially since it's one of the few restaurants open in the winter season at this coastal town--but we managed to hit it at the right time and only had a few minutes wait. The food was excellent--great ginger carrot soup, entrees such as the CD Reuben, marinated flank steak (the best!) and salmon with risotto, and a long list of luscious desserts including cheesecakes, creme brulee and pies. Ann Marie was so attentive, and everyone was especially caring about my mom, who has a slow time getting around and eating. I imagine in spring, summer and fall it would take a long time to get a table, but it is worth the wait.

1  Thank livinantigua