“Not there yet”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
MD
“Not there yet”
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We've tried twice with just average results. Only the downstairs and deck are open so far. Service is still learning. Air conditioning is not adequately sized to deal with the west facing fully windowed dining room. The sunset view across the Patuxent River is great....just need some more shade or tint on windows to help the a/c. The dining room is nice and a total improvement on the old Catamaran's.

The food is okay, but not up to par with several other Solomon Is. restaurants. We've tried the crab cake sandwich, fish taco and soft shell crabs. Crab cake was mostly back fin meat and pretty bland. You'll get much better at Ruddy Duck, Pier or Kingfishers. Two fish tacos were served on large wheat tortillas with way too much over-sauced cole slaw burying the modest striped bass. The taste was good when you remove most of the slaw so you can find the fish. We heard other complaints of over-sauced dishes. The soft shells were very good....sautéed with a light tomato cream sauce.

Striped Rock is a definite improvement over Catamarans, but still has a way to go to compete with other good area restaurants. We hope they improve and succeed.

1 Thank 2TravelingMd

Catonsville
“Not much has changed since Catamarans”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Some friends had dinner here recently and thought it worth trying. Despite bad memories from our last visit (when it was Catamarans), we stopped in early Sunday evening for a quick dinner before heading north. Quick it was not. The hostess asked if we would like to sit inside or out. We said inside and she immediately said there was nothing available inside. Why offer? We sat at the bar instead and after a short wait were able to put in an order to split the dinner special and a Caesar salad. The menu was not very creative and had an emphasis on cream-based sauces. The salad came out in about 10 minutes. Reasonably fresh salad with a pre-made dressing. They skipped the croutons and put the cheese on the side as requested. After the salad was cleared away, we waited nearly 30 minutes for the daily special to come up: fresh Maine lobster stuffed with crab imperial. The crab imperial had nice lumps of crab meat and was quite tasty. It was very creamy, so we were happy to have skipped the lobster cream sauce. The lobster was a soft shell, looks big, but since it recently shed, it was light on the meat - disappointing. In Maine it would be an issue serving a soft shell lobster at hard shell prices. The sweet potato fries were nicely done, but barely filled half the french fry cone. The waitress/bartender noted that she forgot to tell us that the meal came with a salad, and since we had ordered the Caesar, she would take that off the bill. Okay, sounds good. When we finally finished and got the bill, she had not taken the salad off the check. I asked and she said that her manager said no, that they would be happy to box the salad and send it home with us. I told her that she had already agreed to take it off the check. No go. That exchange made an okay experience not okay. Given the mediocre service, indifferent management, together with a menu lacking creativity and not inexpensive (and skimps on quantity and quality of the product), the Striped Rock seemed much like its predecessor. With many other good places in Solomon's, we are not in a hurry to return.

1 Thank BmoreFun
Oakton, Virginia
“Very Good Experience For Night 2”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We dined at Striped Rock on Sat. their Night #2! Except for noise these guys had it together. The food was very good to excellent. My rockfish club sandwich was outstanding. The bar scene reminded me of Cheers - everyone including a local marina owner having a good time. The ice crusher drink machine and conversation level was loud, but otherwise it was a good dining experience. It was nice when wait staff substituted for each other to get food & drinks out. Bill B.

• Visited June 2013
Maryland, United States
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

All of the restaurants had waits but this one. We walked right up and seated immediately outside. We watched the amazing sunset over the bridge from our table. The food was amazing. I couldn't eat enough of the french fries and I also ordered the chicken cobb salad. So yummy!

Alexandria, Virginia
“A welcome newcomes on the Solomons scene!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I can't say enough how happy I am to see The Striped Rock open on Solomons!
In a town where fried seafood (the famous Stoney's crabcakes, aside) and a generic bar atmosphere seem to prevail for the dining scene, it's so nice to have someplace new with fresh, tasty food served in a beautiful contemporary atmosphere.
Happy to see the former business for this location (Catamaran's) cleared out, I was anxious to see what would open it its place. What a nice treat to see such pretty tables on the deck, and inside, and a beautiful long marble bar inside. The staff were all friendly and attentive and really on the ball. Though I only had 2 appetizers (a side salad and mussels in garlic cream sauce) with drinks, everything surpassed my expectations and then some. The salad was delicious. Actual greens, not old ice berg lettuce. Fresh tomatoes, bacon, cheese, and delicious vinaigrette. And the mussels... Just WOW. they were plump, fresh, and tasty. The cream sauce was delicious, with diced fresh tomatoes and fibbons of fresh basil. I ate until I literally could eat no more! After catching up on the local gossip at the bar after a long work day, it was time for me to head home for sleep, but I know I am already looking forward to heading back and trying more items from the dinner menu. I'm hoping to make this my new go-to place on Solomons weekends!