“Very interesting museum with kid stuff”

Calvert Marine Museum and Drum Point Lighthouse
Book In Advance
More Info
$94.34*
and up
Gardens and Grapes Winery Package with Lunch and Dinner
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Solomons
More attraction details
Owner description: In the Exhibition Building, you can touch 20-million year old fossils taken from Calvert Cliffs; discover the ever changing world of the Chesapeake Bay; and learn how humans shaped and changed this region over time, working its waters for survival and profit. Visit the Drum Point and Cove Point Lighthouses; see our outstanding small boat collection, take a ride on the Wm. B. Tennison, a log-built bugeye, and experience the Lore Oyster House, a restored oyster processing plant. Touch a horseshoe crab or Diamond Back Terrapin, see skates, rays, and small sharks cavort, and watch otters, Bubbles and Squeak, at play. Stroll the marsh walk and spy water snakes, great blue heron, osprey, and hermit crabs in their natural environment. We are a community museum, established in 1970 by local residents determined to preserve the maritime heritage of Solomons Island. We are an educational museum, offering everything from the pre-school programs to Elderhostel. We are a research museum, renowned for documented discoveries in Miocene paleontology, and publications on local history based on original research. We are a relevant museum, staying in the forefront of environmental issues and offering a forum for public discourse on controversial topics. We are a partnering museum, actively pursuing opportunities such as the 1812 Grand Tactical that allows us to support and celebrate other institutions. Visit the Museum Store for jewelry, books, home decor, toys and all kinds of unique gifts for people of all ages!
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We have been through the museum a number of times. They have excellent volunteers who teach visitors about some of the marine animals in the museum. There is a place to hunt for fossils for the kids.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

My husband and I took a group of teenagers there just before they put the electric lights in and it was amazing. I think it is a great place for young and old to visit and see the history of the Lighthouse. It is amazing! And - what a beautiful view as well.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

What a great museum! First off, you can't beat the low price of admission! And it's a great place for kids and adults alike. I didn't have any kids with me on this trip, but I'd likely return with my niece and nephew on another visit. The volunteer staff are very friendly and knowledgeable. I might not be a kid, but I sure did enjoy the touch tank! And I think the most interesting part of the museum are the local prehistoric findings from Calvert Cliffs. Wow! So many awesome finds and so close! And don't forget the Drum Point Lighthouse tour! A great piece of history and human engineering there. You trip wouldn't be complete without seeing it or stopping by to say hi to Bubbles and Squeek, the museum's two river otters. It's a fun and educational way to spend an afternoon.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've lived in Southern Maryland for 26 years now and the Calvert Marine Museum is my #1 attraction in all of Southern Maryland (as well as Flag Ponds Nature Park)!! This is a great museum for a small town - lots for the family to do here!! Visit the light house on a guided tour, speak with volunteers that are knowledgeable in each area of the museum, check out the live touch tank or see the river otters at play. This museum has it all!! The Paleontology Lab is a must see - staff very helpful. Even the gift shop is well set up and they constantly change the available items so it's not always the same things offered. A real GEM!!!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

My family and I really enjoyed ourselves here. We especially liked the lighthouse tour. It was beautiful and worth the trip.