“Can't Argue with the View or the Service”
Review of River House Inn

River House Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Snow Hill B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Spent much time at the River House Inn, on the Pocomoke River in Snow Hill, Maryland. We cannot remember a prettier setting for a B&B. We understand the inn has recently changed hands, and if our experience is a reflection of what the new owners wish to do it is to be encouraged. Rooms with private spas, a lovely swimming pool with a river view (we're coming nback in the summer), everything clean and nicely decorated. The waffles are one of the owners' specialties.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 30, 2010

I have to say, had I read some of the reviews before I booked and spent the weekend at the River House Inn, I might not have gone through with it. I do not know who the other's met when they speak about a rude host. My husband and I were delighted to sit and chat with the current owner about the history of the Inn, the town and his experiences with rennovating homes of this era. He was more than generous with his conversation and offers to assist us in anyway. I was completely charmed by him.

Yes, the town of Snow Hill is sleepy. It is established and small, but those that wave it off as boring or lacking must not have been there to soak in the beauty or history of the area. It is rich in both.

I do think that the Inn is a bit pricey but we were afforded a wonderful deal simply because the owners honor the military service and offer a terrific discount for Active Duty Military. I may be biased, but I believe that is a classy thing to do.

I found the accommodations to be clean and comfortable. Our housekeeper was lively, interested and sincere. When we reported a small problem with the tub faucet, help was prompt and correct.

I would recommend this place to anyone who has a little romance in their heart, an appreciation for lovely settings, and a desire to slow down the pace.

I want to also say that the people at the Pocomoke Canoe Company are also wonderful and the Pocomoke river is a perfect place to canoe or kayak!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We greatly enjoyed our stay at the River House Inn. The owners and staff are charming and attentive. The grounds are gorgeous. If you're coming to Snow Hill we couldn't recommend this B&B more.

We had two young babies and the staff went well out of their way to accommodate us. The rooms were spacious and clean. The property is directly of the river and many outdoor recreational activities are available.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2010

I never stayed at a bed & breakfast so I wasn't sure what to expect, well, I may never go back to staying at a hotel again if they are all like this Inn. The Inn was beautiful, our accomodations were comfortable & most of all, the hospitality was the best I've ever received. I am a Hotel Manager in the Pittsburgh Area so I know the true meaning of Hospitality! Each room was more beautiful than the next, breakfast was prepared for me & my son as if we were a King & Queen. The Inn Keeper was wonderful & catered to our every need. This is a top notch establishment & anyone who writes a negitive comment does not know or appreciate TRUE meaning of Hospitality!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2009

On the 12 th of September we had our wedding at the Inn, it turned out to be the best place for a garden wedding. The grounds were very beautiful with a very romantic view of the river. We rented the whole place for the weekend. Everybody was amazed how beautiful the place was. I recommend this place for a weekend getaway (one can also bring their dogs) and especially for outside garden weddings.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2009

From a dog's point of view, this could not be a better place to stay -- hosts and their canine companions were more than pack friendly. A panoramic view and green sweep down to the river offered unleashed exercise opportunities, while a small beach at river's edge allowed a quiet splash or two. A doggie treat was even included in our breakfast basket, which was always delivered with hot food at exactly the time requested.
My humans stayed in the converted carriage house cottage and enjoyed the privacy offered by the screened in porch at the side -- especially during a massive thunderstorm as they sat on the porch and sipped wine and talked quietly while watching the lightning flash. They also truly appreciated the pool area. It wasn't my cup of tea since I'm a herding dog, but they said it was set up to allow guests to gather comfortably and at their own leisure and the pool itself was clean and far larger than the normal "motel" variety. They could actually do laps in it.
One last thing that should be noted: The owners were more than approachable and the rest of the staff, especially James, could not have been nicer. Kudos to a truly "dog friendly" environment.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We've been going twice a year for about 6 years now. Its a perfect stop for the Eastern US travels we often have visiting family. We especially love the trip over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, and sometimes we take the ferry between Delaware & NJ.

Over the years we've stayed in pretty much every room they have, both in the house and in the cottages. If you're looking for a modern, made-to-look-antique dwelling, this isn't the place for you. But if you're looking for the real thing, where you feel the history around you, and you appreciate historical charm, this is it! Whether it is the pool in the summer, or the fireplace in the winter, we find relaxation there whenever we visit.

We always take a stroll down the long back garden to the river that flows at the end of the property. Sitting by the river with a drink in hand is the perfect way to unwind after the road. We enjoy dinner (or lunch) at The Palette just a short walk away. A stroll through the gallery in town to see the art (paintings, jewelry, sculptures, etc) is a must. I also love to stop by Maggie's Bookstore where they have unique selections of books, stationary, cards & a toy corner. An antique furniture store is also adjacent to it. A walk down the main street (Market Street) and through the old neighborhoods off of it and it makes us feel like we've gone back in time to a simpler, slower pace of life.

Our teen enjoys skateboarding around the park just a short walk further along the river. Our daughter likes to stroll through town wishing she could live somewhere similar where walking to shops is possible. And our younger son likes to visit the Dollar General on the outskirts of town where he can get his treasures that keep him happy. Since adding the pool, there is another added attraction to our visits there. The kids are in and out all day, and there are plenty of tables and chairs to sit back with a drink or snack and watch them be content. In the poolside gazebo there is comfortable furniture and a TV, a built in grill & refrigerator.

Larry & Susanne are wonderful hosts who are happy to accommodate. They have been very helpful over the years, and full of information about local events and things to do. They are obviously well connected in town, and know who is who and where to send you.

Visiting the Snow Hill Inn makes us feel entirely at home. It is a pleasure to step back in time surrounded by the history the Inn and the antique furnishings surrounding us. We relish the time there before stepping back into our crazy hectic lives upon returning home.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Snow Hill
Refuge Inn
Refuge Inn
#1 of 20 in Chincoteague Island
Hampton Inn and Suites Chincoteague-Waterfront
Hampton Inn and Suites Chincotea...
#2 of 20 in Chincoteague Island
Comfort Suites Chincoteague
Comfort Suites Chincoteague
#4 of 20 in Chincoteague Island
Marina Bay Hotel & Suites, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Marina Bay Hotel & Suites, an As...
#7 of 20 in Chincoteague Island

Been to River House Inn? Share your experiences!