DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Centreville, United States
“Great Service”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

The staff at the Double Tree in Silver Spring were energetic and very accommodating. Everyone from the front desk to the valet could not have treated us any better. Only issue we had was the room had a musty smell that was unpleasant.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
Thanks for your post and comments about the hotel and staff. I have shared your comments about the musty smell with our housekeeping team to ensure they are using the proper room freshners as needed. Hope to see your return in the future.....

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Waldorf, MD, United States
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our brief stay. Hotel has been recently updated and more refurbishment is underway. The staff is unfailingly friendly, attentive, and efficient, making the building and first-class amenities even more welcoming. Shopping, dining, and entertainment at the Fillmore are less than 1 block away. Parking (valet only) is fast, efficient, and easy. Great weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for the fantastic comments about the hotel and staff. Hope to see you return soon! Safe travels.....
San Diego, United States
Reviewed January 31, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located for anything one would want to do in the Silver Spring area. Good restaurants are nearby and the Metro is also convenient. The best thing about this visit was the staff of the hotel I have not found a better group of people at a hotel in a long while. Everyone was helpful, friendly and willing to please.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thanks so much for the great comments - especially about the freindliness of our staff. I will certainly pass on and hope you visit us again.
Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 27, 2014

At 2 am, my daughter woke and said "mom, what's that red thing?" There was a bed bug on her blanket, so I checked my bed and there they were! The staff gave us a new room and promised there'd be no charge, but we've been calling ever since and are still getting the runaround. The "newly remodeled" room they gave me had holes in the wall and no security lock installed. Room service breakfast came with no utensils to eat with.

It was the worst place I've ever been. I still shudder because of those bugs. They were adult bugs so it looked like a serious infestation.

Room Tip: ask for a newly remodeled room to try to avoid the bed bugs
3 Thank fraxa
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
I am so sorry for this anomoly incident and kindly request you call or email me direct so we may discuss the situation in more detail. My office number is 301 563 3828 and my email is jim.salvo@hilton.com.

Travelers are raving about these Silver Spring hotels

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The staff at this hotel is very friendly, and they did the best with what they have, but for the money, you can do much better in and around the DC area.

I stayed at the hotel for a business conference being held there. The lobby is nice and up to date, but stepping outside of lobby (to your room, their conference rooms/meeting spaces, the hotel restaurant etc.), you will find a worn out, grim, "old" feeling commercial type of hotel in desperate need of a complete renovation.

Going to your room, the elevators are very slow, noisy, and the interiors are physically worn out. Same with the hallways: dated, worn, very low and cheap looking false ceilings. The rooms themselves are decorated in a dated, odd looking 90s era styling with worn furnishing and bad layout. For example, there is no lighting on or near the desk. Even with all the room lights on, the desk is in a dark corner and it is difficult to work at the desk in the evening if you need to read anything. The shower curtain in the bathroom was very musty and sour smelling.

The meeting/conference rooms are old and worn. The smaller meeting rooms for breakout sessions are murky because of bad lighting. Also, there appears to be no climate control of the meeting rooms. They were ice cold in the mornings (people were going back to their rooms to get jackets etc.), and saunas by the late afternoon. The conference I attended had a reception the first evening which was held in one of the larger meeting rooms, and it was sweltering; people literally had sweat beads on their foreheads, people left because of the heat.

The hotel restaurant, well, it was just not good and badly managed. I ate there both nights for purely convenience reasons. The service was slow and disjointed, Even though the staff was very friendly and personable, they seemed stressed and overwhelmed when more than 15 customers or so were in the restaurant Each evening they were out of standard fare (they were out french fries one evening, and another common side the next), which was odd as it is not a busy place. The food quality was inconsistent, and ingredients/toppings listed on the menu were left off, causing delays as the staff had to go retrieve those items from the kitchen.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for the kind comments about the staff and I do apologize for not meeting your expections during your recent stay. I am however excited to let you knwo that we have recently begun a major renovation of all of our meeting space, elevators and other areas of the hotel which is due to be completed within the next 60 days. I have also reviewed your comments about your restaurant experionce with our Dir of F&B and Chef. I dop hope you allow us another opportunity to regain your trust shoudl your travels take you back our way.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Booked this hotel last minute using Hilton Honors reward points & cash when I was passing through the area and needed a place to sleep and rest before continuing up the East Coast home from the South. It was available for the reward stay and I knew Silver Spring was a nice area to hangout, grab some good eats, maybe catch a movie and relax before hitting the sack for some zzzs for the drive.

Downtown Silver Spring was nice; Doubletree Silver Spring made me lament being cheap and having not booked the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites across the street on Hilton Honors instead.

When I pulled in I was greeted by a valet who was okay until he got in my car.
Then he sat there for a few minutes until I realized that he could not get my car out of park with the push button break (which isn't all that unusual on new cars). Didn't exactly leave me feeling safe about leaving my baby in his care. I saw the signs which said they weren't responsible for anything in the garage despite forced valet (no self park option) so I went back and showed it to him and removed my camera from the car.

When I checked in I was not offered an upgrade (as I nearly always am at Hilton properties because of my status)- and I didn't ask for one because the desk girl didn't seem particularly enthusiastic. No problem, got a stay for cheap with the points (that I pay thousands of dollars for annually in brand loyalty), not going to press my luck.

When I went to the room I was thirsty so I called down to find the vending and ice; I was told the ice was on another floor (Hilton Honors floor which I was NOT put on, instead put in a room next to construction) and I was told since I was a member water would be sent up. Yeah the water came up three hours later. When I went trekking about to find the ice I was met with two staffers standing around BSing in the middle of the day loudly and flirting with me.
The ice bucket BTW REEKED of "sour"- smelled like mildew.

Room did not feel clean. It looked clean but didn't feel clean, lots of residual smells as if the bath tub was sour too and the carpet was dirty. Windows were dirty in the room.

On the positive side, room service was excellent as was the bartender Joe.
The desk person in the evening, a young guy was really helpful too in navigating the area.

Mediocre to great staff; really good restaurant, old hotel dressed up. Would not stay again as there appear to be better, newer options in the area where I don't have to worry about my car getting being mishandled by inexperienced valets or feeling neglected despite being such an active Hilton Honors member. I mean they don't have to kiss my butt but why else do consumers do the hotel membership thing if not for the perks?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review and do apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. I have shared your comments with various members of our management team to use as a continued training tool with the staff. I assure you, your stay was not the norm and hope you allow us another opportunity to regain your trust in the future. We do value your business.
virginia
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The staff was awesome! The room (2 double bed suite) was interesting. I think because I had a corner room, it made it a little different.
PROS:
-Staff
-Rate for room (good price)
-You are given a complimentary (and delicious) cookie at check in
-Location to downtown Silver Spring. This hotel is in close proximity to almost anything you need. CVS, WholeFoods, the Fillmore, a shopping center, a huge 20 screen movie theatre and great restaurants. I even saw an outside ice skating rink.
-Bedroom in my suite was separated from 'living area' by glass doors.
-Breakfast buffet was good (but not free)
CONS
-Not enough lighting in the bedroom
-Mirrors not placed in good areas around the room for maximum use (ie- one mirror was in the living area, but because of the furniture, it was hard to get to.)
-No microwave or mini refrigerators. You have to rent a mini refrigerator that is brought to your room by housekeeping.
-Living area was a little small. When the refrigerator was brought to my room, furniture had to be moved to get it next to an outlet.
-Your vehicle has to be parked at hotel via valet. There is self-parking garages in the area, but not connected to the hotel.
-Glass doors to bedroom blocked view of TV from one bed, and blocked full access to the living area from the other bed, when fully opened.

Room Tip: -The room I had was in a corner of the building (Rm 828). Not the best of views out of the small wi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thanks for the post and hope to see you return again soon!