“Complete Disappointment” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Atlanta, Georgia
“Complete Disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Booked this hotel last minute using Hilton Honors reward points & cash when I was passing through the area and needed a place to sleep and rest before continuing up the East Coast home from the South. It was available for the reward stay and I knew Silver Spring was a nice area to hangout, grab some good eats, maybe catch a movie and relax before hitting the sack for some zzzs for the drive.

Downtown Silver Spring was nice; Doubletree Silver Spring made me lament being cheap and having not booked the Hampton Inn or Homewood Suites across the street on Hilton Honors instead.

When I pulled in I was greeted by a valet who was okay until he got in my car.
Then he sat there for a few minutes until I realized that he could not get my car out of park with the push button break (which isn't all that unusual on new cars). Didn't exactly leave me feeling safe about leaving my baby in his care. I saw the signs which said they weren't responsible for anything in the garage despite forced valet (no self park option) so I went back and showed it to him and removed my camera from the car.

When I checked in I was not offered an upgrade (as I nearly always am at Hilton properties because of my status)- and I didn't ask for one because the desk girl didn't seem particularly enthusiastic. No problem, got a stay for cheap with the points (that I pay thousands of dollars for annually in brand loyalty), not going to press my luck.

When I went to the room I was thirsty so I called down to find the vending and ice; I was told the ice was on another floor (Hilton Honors floor which I was NOT put on, instead put in a room next to construction) and I was told since I was a member water would be sent up. Yeah the water came up three hours later. When I went trekking about to find the ice I was met with two staffers standing around BSing in the middle of the day loudly and flirting with me.
The ice bucket BTW REEKED of "sour"- smelled like mildew.

Room did not feel clean. It looked clean but didn't feel clean, lots of residual smells as if the bath tub was sour too and the carpet was dirty. Windows were dirty in the room.

On the positive side, room service was excellent as was the bartender Joe.
The desk person in the evening, a young guy was really helpful too in navigating the area.

Mediocre to great staff; really good restaurant, old hotel dressed up. Would not stay again as there appear to be better, newer options in the area where I don't have to worry about my car getting being mishandled by inexperienced valets or feeling neglected despite being such an active Hilton Honors member. I mean they don't have to kiss my butt but why else do consumers do the hotel membership thing if not for the perks?

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
I do appreciate you taking the time to post a review and do apologize that we failed to meet your expectations. I have shared your comments with various members of our management team to use as a continued training tool with the staff. I assure you, your stay was not the norm and hope you allow us another opportunity to regain your trust in the future. We do value your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

The staff was awesome! The room (2 double bed suite) was interesting. I think because I had a corner room, it made it a little different.
PROS:
-Staff
-Rate for room (good price)
-You are given a complimentary (and delicious) cookie at check in
-Location to downtown Silver Spring. This hotel is in close proximity to almost anything you need. CVS, WholeFoods, the Fillmore, a shopping center, a huge 20 screen movie theatre and great restaurants. I even saw an outside ice skating rink.
-Bedroom in my suite was separated from 'living area' by glass doors.
-Breakfast buffet was good (but not free)
CONS
-Not enough lighting in the bedroom
-Mirrors not placed in good areas around the room for maximum use (ie- one mirror was in the living area, but because of the furniture, it was hard to get to.)
-No microwave or mini refrigerators. You have to rent a mini refrigerator that is brought to your room by housekeeping.
-Living area was a little small. When the refrigerator was brought to my room, furniture had to be moved to get it next to an outlet.
-Your vehicle has to be parked at hotel via valet. There is self-parking garages in the area, but not connected to the hotel.
-Glass doors to bedroom blocked view of TV from one bed, and blocked full access to the living area from the other bed, when fully opened.

Room Tip: -The room I had was in a corner of the building (Rm 828). Not the best of views out of the small wi...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the post and hope to see you return again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

I have been to my share of Double Trees and I know how they can be a hit or miss - this was a hit! It has been updated with a classics contemporary feel. Rooms are nice and spacious. Bed was super comfortable which made for a great nights sleep. Located in center of town near lots of restaurants and shopping. Bar tender was super friendly and room service was on time and very good. All staff I encountered were pleasant. Only neg is that walls are a bit thin, I could hear conversations and hair dryers and toilets etc but since I was on top floor it wasn't so bad. I would stay again!

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for the kind words and hope to see you return soon should your travels take you back our way!
Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and the rooms very well kept. The location of the hotel is excellent in the fact that it's only a block to "Downtown Silver Springs", where there are plenty of resteraunts and lots of things to do.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again!
Frederick, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Wonderful hotel with wonderful staff. The hotel is situated in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland and is beautiful hotel with wonderful accommodations. The staff was fantastic and I would love to come back for my anniversary or a summer event. Thanks to them my wedding came out just right!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you for the great review and glad you found the hotel and staff accomodating.....will certainly pass on your praises and hope to see you return.
princeton, nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

have stayed here three times in the last 6 months and each time has seen improvements. on the plus side the hotel is clean, convenient, and the staff is very considerate. The room was comfortable and clean and internet connection was excellent. Room carpeting is dingy. The heating system did not work very well and it was difficult to heat the room. If heat left on through the night it was too noisy. All in all this s a very convenient, friendly place to stay. The hotel is gradually renovating and improving. I will stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Thank you for the nice comments and glad you noticed the marked improvements over the past several stays. As we continue to upgrade and enahnce the hotels physical and mechanical systems, we look forward to seeing you again soon and I am confident that the defeciencies you noted will not reoccur.
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

This place has the most friendly, helpful, and solicitous staff I've almost ever met. The front desk clerk at check in was super-efficient and nice, and she went above and beyond and moved us to a two-room suite so we'd have enough sleeping space for us and our kids. When I had to call and ask for a replacement coffee maker, the evening concierge was up in minutes with a replacement, apologizing and asking if he could do anything else for us. Literally, every person I ran into - housekeeping, manager, life guard, desk clerks, parking valets - was friendly and eager to help. Yes, the actual building is a bit tired and dated, but the beds are comfortable (good pillows and linens) and the staff made the experience great!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jimsalvo, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Thanks for the kind words - will certainly share them with the team. Hope to see you return should your travels take you back our way...