“Good location and decent staff, but dirty and worn” 2 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
North Wales, Pennsylvania
“Good location and decent staff, but dirty and worn”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I was at this hotel for a three day business trip. The location is good and the front desk and lobby staff were friendly and helpful. The bed and linens appeared new and were comfortable. The wireless internet access was free and functioned well. However, the hotel appears to be worn and rather dirty. The elevators were banged up and the hallway carpets needed to be vacuumed and cleaned. The carpet in my room had stains and appeared dirty. The bathroom tile had some pink mildew and stained grout. The lever to switch from the faucet to the shower was broken off - it worked but with difficulty and a rather sharp edge. I put all my belongings in the bathroom while I checked for bed bugs (as I do upon arrival at any hotel). I did not find any, but the dirt and debris I found while checking gave me cause for concern. I kept my belongings in the bathroom for my entire stay which made it a bit cramped and inconvenient. The fitness center was OK at best. The floor did not look particularly clean and it would have been nice if they had offered towels. It did not effect me, but a pipe on an upper floor burst and flooded the rooms of several colleagues. I do not expect every hotel that I stay at to be new, but I do expect it to be clean and in good repair. This hotel did it meet that standard.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GS19454
Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review of our property. New perspectives about our hotel and our guestroom appearance help us make improvements to our guest experience on an ongoing basis. Please share any additional comments or suggestions with us any time as we take are guests' feedback seriously. We apologize for the inconveniences and we hope to have another chance to serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Acity
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Cookie and bed were amazing. However, the bathroom flooded each morning due to lack of dividing wall or tub and drain. Also, no counter space in the bathroom to place toiletries, and no toilet paper holder. The plug situation was also strange, with no visible plugs near the desk.

1 Thank Troy S
We’re sorry we didn't provide the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay at our hotel. We apologize for the issues in your room and we’re working with our maintenance team to ensure the situation doesn't happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you’ll stay with us again and give us an opportunity to show improvement. We will be sure to have a fresh warm cookie waiting for you.

Travelers are raving about these Silver Spring hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Like most doubletrees I have stayed in, I was greeted with a warm cookie at check-in and the front staff was extremely friendly. The hallways were brightly lit and had very nice carpeting. The room was standard but nice. The only issue was it was very cold and the bedding was extremely thin; no duvet just sheets and a thin blanket. Heat worked well and was a quiet wall unit at least. Bad thing is my room had a door adjacent to HS boys on a field trip. Walls were paper thin and I heard them as if they were talking in my room. Good thing is they went to bed by 11pm. I know, because that's how well I could hear their conversations even tho I didn't want to! Room service was very fast; also ate at the breakfast buffet and it was superb. I traveled by the red line Metro during my whole stay and the free shuttle to and from the Metro stop was excellent. Finally, I ate at Sergio's one night. The BEST authentic Italian I've had in a long time. I met Sergio, too. Food v reasonably priced. The sauce was to die for. Despite the bad luck near HS boys, I recommend this hotel.

Stayed March 2013
Clinton, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I normally stay in the Marriott downtown silver spring when I am there, but this time I was attending a conference that was partly in this hotel, so I stayed here as well. Big mistake.

True what other travelers said: 7th floor halls smelled of smoke as did my nonsmoking room. Rooms are small and walls are paper thin. Water was not hot enough to shower. Caulking in the tub had black mold spots, so even if there was hot water, not sure I'd want to use the tub. First night of my recent stay the people in the adjoining room had a huge loud argument starting at 2:30am that lasted several hours. The second night there were loud teenage boys in the adjoining room for a class trip. Asked for a new room both nights but was told the hotel was full (to the credit of the boy's chaperone, he did get them quieted down). The manager offered to "do something for me" for my trouble, but alas, nothing was done.

The second night there was also a flood in parts of the hotel - my coworker's room was flooded. They gave her a free breakfast certificate, but when she went down to use it for just a cup of coffee to go, they refused to honor it.

Paid $500 for two nights: one in-room dinner for $20, 2 days of valet parking at $15 per night and two horrific nights in the hotel.

Never again.

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room? Go to a different hotel.
1 Thank Jen_from_Jersey
Regional D, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to leave us a review! We’re sorry that we didn't provide you with a rewarding experience during your recent stay at our hotel. Your satisfaction is very important to us, and we appreciate your feedback about the noisy hallways and thin walls. Your comments will help us correct these issues as well as the other issues you mentioned. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and we hope you’ll consider giving us another chance the next time you’re in the area.
Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I pre-paid for a suite and when I arrived late in the evening it was not available. I waited over 20 minutes for them to figure out where to put us with 2 tired 4 yr. olds. I was pretty annoyed at our check-in experience but the rooms we ended up in were very clean, well appointed, and comfortable. I paid for a non-smoking suite and one of our rooms had been smoked in though the smell was not very offensive just noticeable. I looked for wi-fi but didn't see a hotel network on my computer. Fortunately it was not essential I be connected.

Except for the check in I would say our stay was rather nice. The staff were friendly and helpful, the beds were quite comfortable and we all slept well since it was quiet too. It was also very affordable which was certainly a criteria when we booked our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
We’re sorry we didn't provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned with our front desk staff. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.
Long Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is not very clean. The walls and doors to the elevator are dirty. The rooms have walls that are paper thin. The first room I was in had an adjoining door. At midnight a man came in the next room and jiggled the adjoining door lock. He then proceeded to sing for quite a while. I packed my things and asked to be switched. The room I was switched too stunk like smoke terrible. The fire detector was dislodged from the ceiling. I asked again to change rooms. Then the key did not work. In this room the fire detector was covered in masking tape. I reported all of this to management. They changed my room but did not offer any compensation for the trouble.

• 2 of 5 stars
Regional D, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and for choosing our hotel. We’re sorry you encountered housekeeping problems. Dirty rooms are not typical at our hotel, and we appreciate that you brought this to our attention. We have discussed all issues with our staff and will make every effort to be sure our rooms meet the highest housekeeping standards. Please give us a second chance if you visit our area in the future and if you would like to discuss this further, please contact me directly. Thanks for your feedback.
Hickory, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I got the standard double room for 99. per night for the two night weekend. I feel this was a fair price. The room was clean and very comfortable. It was nice to have free wifi. I would have appreciated a in-room refrigerator. However, knowing I didn't have one, I brought a cooler. The employees all were very friendly and helpful. $12.00 for valet parking seemed a little excessive. I will say, however, the bed and pillows were AWESOME. The first time I've ever traveled and wished my bed at home was this comfortable. I

Room Tip: I don't feel I can contribute to this area as this is the first time I've stayed here.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 12 in Silver Spring
4.0 of 5 stars 300 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Silver Spring North
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring? Share your experiences!