“Good Business Hotel”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I only stayed one night, and although the service was good, I probably won't stay here again. I got a very small room at a price that in retrospect was very high for the space I got. I've never seen such a small bathroom. As I said it was only one night, and I'm glad of that. I don't expect a one room apartment when I stay at a hotel, but this would have become claustrophobic if I had been staying for more than two nights. The people at the hotel were very nice, but it took 30 minutes to find a cab and then another 10 minutes for the hotel to take us to another hotel where we could catch a cab. It seemed very unorganized and that part of the hotel was not geared towards service.

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic, make sure you aren't getting the extra small rooms in the corner.

Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

They misrepresented their valet parking (only option other than street). They said $12.00 Mon.-Thur. , $15.00 Fri.-Sun. Then when the paperwork showed up, it was 15.00 per day, every day. Then when they brought the car up, it had some kind of crap all over it, like "fall-out" or something. But even worse, the valet who took it on the first day, apparently kicked my trailer brake control box completely off its mount and broke it !
This was a Nice king room, kinda classy but, no fridge, no microwave, and only 15 channels, and their movie selection system wasn't working they said. I heard it hasn't worked for a long time. But, the room was clean, and oddly enough, they didn't use/have small trash bags at all - really? Come on. There's more but you get the message. For over 100.00/night they can do better. They are in a very handy location though, ABC Store attached to same building, large mall one block away, and a clean efficient and economical DC Metro just 3 blocks away. Not bad, over all... I mentioned the issues of the car to mgmt. and they knocked off the valet charges. The rest, we could live with I guess.

• Stayed: September 2012
Anna L, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Washington DC - Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Thank you, jacmacrac, for your sincere feedback. I was also sad to hear that what we did well was offset by the various things that did not go so well. Your claim is being handled by the insurance company and you should have been contacted within a day of your report. You had discussed that this pedal was at the floor of the driver’s side; I am certain that the damage was unintentional, however, I apologize for the inconvenience. Your quote for the rates is correct, however, we need to devise a better way of transitioning from one rate to the other without any guest inconvenience. DoubleTree rooms do not come standard with either microwaves or refrigerators though they are available upon request. We are glad that you enjoyed the room; we were just renovated in January of this year. Return to us after the start of 2013 and you will find us with a new cable service which will offer a much wider array of channel and movie options.

Again, thank you for your feedback. It is very much appreciated and taken constructively.

Anna Lyons, GM

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed here for the location (close to the Metro) and close to friends beyond the Beltway. It was a reasonably pleasant stay, but we probably would not repeat. The room was nice, but the bathroom was incredibly small and awkward, hardly large enough for one person, probably the smallest space I’ve seen since going to London as a student. There was nowhere to store the toiletry bags for even one person, and in order to use the toilet you had to get into the room, hold your breath, and close the door. The Doubletree has a good exercise room with multiple treadmills next to an all-season swimming pool and that was a plus One odd experience - the first morning we found a bill under the door that had been delivered to wrong room; the printout had lots of info that it would be better not to share with strangers! Parking difficult, in hotel expensive. On the second night I was awakened in the middle of the night by loud talking in the hallway and singing out front – probably related to the large event (wedding? family reunion?) earlier that day at the hotel. The room was not very well sound-insulated and street noise was very audible from the sixth floor. On the first morning i noticed that the coffee-maker had no cups with it and I called the "careline," which promised to deliver them - two days later nothing had arrived.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the front of the building to minimize the street noise.
1  Thank Purmamarca
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I was disappointed with my stay here, and unfortunately, I was booked for four whole nights that I couldn't get out of. It has the modern decor, but it's already worn. From the elevator to the hallway to your room, your going to find areas where they just haven't kept the hotel up to Hilton standards. The sheets had yellow stains, which is ridiculous. I assume its from the bleach they use (I hope that's what it was). I had to ask for a sheet change multiple times and they just continued to give me stained sheets. They need to invest in some new sheets and change the bleach they are using. There was a silverfish sliding across my top sheet when I returned to my room one day. I couldn't sleep that night thinking there were more bugs waiting to be found. I received one bath towel and one hand towel each day and they didn't bother to empty my bathroom trash. The self-service laundry facility is at that Hampton Inn across the street, so be prepared to cross the busy road if you have laundry to do. The staff was chatty with eachother and inattentive to the guests. Valet was very slow. At one point, I was left waiting for over five minutes for the valet driver to show up to his station. Turns out, he was at the front desk talking instead of doing his job. I actually had to go in and find him to get my car retrieved. I've read that the rooms were small, but my room was HUGE. There was way to much empty floor space (could have fit in three more king sized beds) and the TV was too far away to see comfortably. That will please some people, but it just felt sterile and empty to me. The bathroom on the other end was very tiny. You could barely twist around from the sink to the shower with out bumping into the toilet. I won't stay here again. There are so many hotels to choose from in the area, so why settle for less.

1  Thank Sunnydays2007
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed 5 nights with a group. The location was close to where our bus needed to go. The breakfast each morning was varied and outstanding. The bed was perfect. Tiny bathroom and restaurant menu at night did not change. Staff were fantastic and friendly.

Room Tip: Focus and bed and breakfast aspects.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am at this property on business. I agree with another writer about the rooms being small. My TV is haunted. Besides not being able to watch the free HBO, the TV goes back to the menu screen by itself. As a Gold Member, I only get a continental breakfast. There are no newspapers at the door in the morning. In addition, the hallways need painting and there are scratches on the elevator walls.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2012

This hotel is a little on the older side. It could use renovating to rise to the level of other Double Tree locations. I've noticed this chain is either a hit or miss. Some locations are fabulous and some are not. My biggest complaint was the fact that my T-Mobile cellular phone would not work in the hotel, in the lobby or outside the hotel on the sidewalk. I had to walk two blocks from the hotel to get service. Funny thing is, there is a T-Mobile store diagonally across the street from the hotel.

The cookies were good as always. The front desk staff was friendly, The business center needed updating. The computers were old and stopped working while I was trying to use them. The lobby is fine. The room was okay. My room was missing a shower curtain. The clock radio was broken. This place is just okay. It is 4 blocks from the Metro and that's a plus. There are many restaurants within walking distance and it is near a major retail shopping strip.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business