WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Central, New York
“Pass”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

I stay in hotels frequently for work and travel and was not mpressed. Desk failed to tell us there was the same charge for valet or for parking yourself. Construction in entrance not appealing. People sitting in hallways in chairs on their laptops, we told the desk and it was uncomfortable and they didn't move when we had a cart coming through. There was a charge for Internet in room( probably why people were in the hall) the shade was broken in our room so it wouldn't close all the way so not so private. Positive? Wait staff for breakfast in the am. Desk in am were pleasant. Staff at night were not personable. Too expensive.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Hello onaneedtoknowbasis,

Thank you for your comments about your stay here at the Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel. I am sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay. I have shared your comments with the appropriate departments and will use them as a training tool with our team members to help us achieve our customer service goals. I am glad to hear that some of our team members where able to make your stay more enjoyable. Thank you again for your feedback.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were 3 rooms, staying for 2 nights. Let's start with the positive. The hotel was clean. Now there's everything else. We called beforehand and asked them how far they were from the Metro station. They told us 2 blocks, straight up the street. Well, it wasn't 2, it was 4, and it was a straight line. When you're walking dragging luggage from out of town, 2 blocks up a hill, then to the left 2 more blocks is not "2 blocks" away. So we arrived sort of annoyed. The front desk was inefficient, and that's being charitable. Our confirmed reservations, well.... We didn't get 3 rooms near one another, as promised. One of the rooms didn't have 2 double beds, as confirmed. Our friends' room was to have a king and a cot, and the cot wasn't there. It finally arrived. Our late arriving friends were told our reservation had been canceled. We gave the desk 2 credits cards to split the reservation, and they put it all on one card. When we "checked out" the guy then @ the desk was like "OK, good, you're checked out." I had to ask: "May I please have a receipt or statement?" The air conditioner made such an annoying cycling noise that we had to sleep with it off, or it would have awakened us every 5 minutes. The guy they sent up to check it, well, he might have known air conditioners, but unfortunately could not speak English very well, so it was hard to communicate our problem. I asked in the restaurant where I might sit with a cup of coffee and meanwhile re-charge my cell. The worker had no idea, and did not offer that they had a "business center" that I ultimately found and worked just fine for that moment. The hotel was fully booked, so they were all doing their personal best, I suppose, but it wasn't good enough for me. Will I be back? Absolutely not.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NewYorkNative
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Hello Newyorknative,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Sheraton Silver Spring. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay and we truly appreciate your feedback. This will give us training opportunities with our staff so that we can better met our guest expectation to ensure that everyone has a memorable experience while staying here.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback.

Rooms Division Manager
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Very expensive but great location. .no need for a car everything is right around the block. ...breakfast was great in the morning ...and really liked my room it was a suite for me and my two kids..great great stay

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank johnice62
SheratonSilverSpring, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Hello Johnice62 -

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay here at the Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel and thank you for your feedback. I will pass on your kind words to our food and beverage department and our housekeeping staff as well. We hope to see you back in the future!

Hotel Manager
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've been to this location when it was the Crowne Plaza. I was excited to visit it as a Sheraton Property. Check in was easy and we stayed on the Club Floor (16th). Which was promised to have lots of extra amenities. Our room was nice and the bed extremely comfortable. The upgraded toiletries were nice, but nothing to write home about (they did smell lovely though). Complimentary water bottles were in the room as well as available in the club lounge. The room was very clean. They could improve on more towels in the room as their were only 2 bath towels. There was a robe in the closet, but a very cheap one.

The club level lounge was open 24hrs and that was a bonus, as I got up at 4am to have a free snack. I was told not only would there be free wifi in my room but also in the club lounge. However, every time I tried to log on, it said I would have to pay a fee. So I didn't use it. Furthermore, the business center computer in the lounge had a note attached saying it was "down". If they cant provide the amenities for their club level guests, then a credit of some sort should be given.

The free breakfast in the club lounge was nice, as well as evening hors d'oeuvres. There was a fridge with unlimited sodas and water. The most impressive feature had to be the commercial grade electronic coffee maker. It made lattes, cappuccinos, coffee, hot water, decaf, regular. I was highly impressed. It was nice to get up in the middle of the night and make a latte with freshly ground beans.

The negatives are the 'add-ons'. You have to pay for parking which was $14 a day. Since I'm a Starwoods preferred member I only had to pay $12. (they should have just charged me the full amount) The internet was another add on. Using a "debit card" will get a 'hold' on your card. It all adds up. Over all I like my stay and I will stay again. Very friendly staff to boot! I highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: While the club level is promised to have more amenities, unless you need unlimited snack foods and d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Well_Traveled_By_15,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Sheraton Silver Spring hotel. We always like to hear from our guest not only the positive encounters you had but also get your feedback on what we can improve on. I am sorry that the computer in the Sheraton Club lounge was not in service during your stay, that issue seems to be fixed now and I am glad that you were able to enjoy the rest of the lounge as well. We strive to improve on our customer service and our services that are provided with your room. The comments you made will help us in doing that.

wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Checked in with our large wheelchair van. Doorman gave us excellent parking spot in garage near front entrance. Doorman and front desk staff made us feel welcome. Accessible room unavailable when we made reservations months ago(Vietnam Vets Assoc. there was probable reason). Room was okay but no fridge or microwave. Fridge rented for $15/day. 1st hotel on 4 week trip without both. Should have checked with Rent-A-Center! Bathroom closet size. Not enough room to fall down! Not up to our previous Sheridan standards. Staff excellent though, ESP Ron, doorman, concierge? Hold your patience for hotel restaurant(Mica). See separate review.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hello Toxeyron,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay here at the Sheraton Silver Spring. It is nice to hear that our doormen was able to help you out with the parking and that Ron was able to help you out during your stay. I am however sorry that we were not able to accommodate your request for an accessible room. I will share your comments about the refrigerator and microwave with our owners because we are always looking for ways to improve the hotel and depend on feedback from our guest to achieve that. Hopefully we will see you back in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am a frequent guest at this hotel, which has repeatedly hosted a business conference that I attend regularly. Since the takeover by Sheraton, the property has continually improved. The common areas and business meeting rooms are open, spacious and comfortable. The staff are very accommodating. The banquet buffets are well-prepared and offer fresh and healthful food choices. The elevators are rather slow. The guest rooms, though very tidy, are very ordinary and sparsely appointed. Soundproofing is minimal: there was a large group of teenagers staying at the property; and, as is the wont of the youth, their scampering and chattering was distracting. On site parking in a covered garage is ample. The equipment in the fitness center is good; but the number of stations is small, inadequate for peak hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators to minimize noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hershey, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed weekend of April 13, 2013. Two adjacent rooms with connecting door. Was expecting just two adjacent rooms, but person checking us in asked if we wanted connecting, and we appreciated the suggestion. Check-in person was quite personable and efficient and my family had a pleasant interaction with her. Quality of lobby was fine, and appeared recently renovated. Up-to-date colors and surfaces. Comfortable seating. Beds in rooms were comfortable, air-conditioning worked fine, furniture appeared nearly new. In one room we had a slow-draining sink, and this really was the only nit-pick we could think of. Parking and breakfast was included in our rate. Parking is underneath the hotel, and the access/gate system was not functioning while we were there. However, that did not impair our access to parking. Breakfast was plentiful, well presented, good quality. The hotel appears to be going through a slow renovation, with a focus on the interior. The outside structure looked in need of a bit of painting on the upper stories, but inside the place looked brand-new. It's easy to get from this hotel to 16th Street, which is main thoroughfare to get downtown.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear FromPennsylvania_13,

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate your feed back. I am extremely happy that you were able to enjoy the Cherry blossom festival. We have gone thorought a partial renovation with more exciting things to come this year as well. I hope that when you are in the area agian that you will come back and see us.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to seein you again!