“Recently renovated, very clean, friendly & attentive staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel

Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Boston, Massachusetts
“Recently renovated, very clean, friendly & attentive staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I am a frequent guest at this hotel, which has repeatedly hosted a business conference that I attend regularly. Since the takeover by Sheraton, the property has continually improved. The common areas and business meeting rooms are open, spacious and comfortable. The staff are very accommodating. The banquet buffets are well-prepared and offer fresh and healthful food choices. The elevators are rather slow. The guest rooms, though very tidy, are very ordinary and sparsely appointed. Soundproofing is minimal: there was a large group of teenagers staying at the property; and, as is the wont of the youth, their scampering and chattering was distracting. On site parking in a covered garage is ample. The equipment in the fitness center is good; but the number of stations is small, inadequate for peak hours.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators to minimize noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Turkish first
Hershey, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed weekend of April 13, 2013. Two adjacent rooms with connecting door. Was expecting just two adjacent rooms, but person checking us in asked if we wanted connecting, and we appreciated the suggestion. Check-in person was quite personable and efficient and my family had a pleasant interaction with her. Quality of lobby was fine, and appeared recently renovated. Up-to-date colors and surfaces. Comfortable seating. Beds in rooms were comfortable, air-conditioning worked fine, furniture appeared nearly new. In one room we had a slow-draining sink, and this really was the only nit-pick we could think of. Parking and breakfast was included in our rate. Parking is underneath the hotel, and the access/gate system was not functioning while we were there. However, that did not impair our access to parking. Breakfast was plentiful, well presented, good quality. The hotel appears to be going through a slow renovation, with a focus on the interior. The outside structure looked in need of a bit of painting on the upper stories, but inside the place looked brand-new. It's easy to get from this hotel to 16th Street, which is main thoroughfare to get downtown.

• 5 of 5 stars
SheratonSilverSpring, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear FromPennsylvania_13,

Thank you for your comments and we appreciate your feed back. I am extremely happy that you were able to enjoy the Cherry blossom festival. We have gone thorought a partial renovation with more exciting things to come this year as well. I hope that when you are in the area agian that you will come back and see us.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we look forward to seein you again!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The staff at the hotel are so friendly, helpful and nice, especially Endy who drove me to/from work in the hotel's free local shuttle van every day. I had an issue with my bill each of the three weeks I stayed there, so check your receipts. When I caught the error(s) at check-out the issue was resolved quickly, but for one problem I had to keep following-up to get a resolution. The food at the hotel is pretty good as well, as far as hotel food is concerned.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Good afternoon Caroline B.

I want to thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel. I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay and that Endy was able to take care of you while you werer here. It's always a pleasure to have our guest recognize one of our staff members. I have passed on your comments to Endy as well and was thrilled that was able to make your stay enjoyable. I am sorry that you had some issues with our billing and I hope that everything was worked out, if not please contact the hotel or myself and we will take care of any issues you might still have. I hope that you will come back and visit us next time you are in the area.

Thank you and have a great day!

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

My family was looking for a nice hotel close to Washington, DC. We have beeen there many times and often wasted too much time commuting from the hinterlands to the District to see the sights. Vacation time is limited and who wants to waste it commuting?
Turns out we found a small gem at the Sheraton Silver Spring. Located a short, two block walk from DC's excellent Metro system keeps wasted time commuting low.
Also, the hotel offered breakfast and pre-dinner snacks in the club lounge for only an additional $25 a day. The food was plentiful and we skipped another tourist time waster--waiting for breakfast to be prepared.
The staff was especially outgoing and helpful. Kudos to Anthony who greeted us cheerfully with breakfast most mornings.
Minor criticism is that I felt a bit cramped in the room, but the pluses more than made up for this.
Also, the hotel tells customers in advance there is a daily car parking charge.

Good afternoon Panpanda,

Thank you for sharing your experience here at the Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel. We appreciate the feedback as well about the parking charges, that is something we can work with the staff to improve our communication with our guest. .
Athony was thrilled to hear that he was able to make your stay more enjoyable. Not only did you find your gem it sounds like we found a new member of the Sheraton family as well. We are glad that we were able to make your vacation more memorable.

Portland, Oregom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The Sheraton is about three blocks from Silver Springs newest shopping/dining area and perfectly situated for a drive down 16th into NW Washington. We got a wonderful rate as well -- even considering that parking and WiFi access are extra. Rooms are good with excellent beds, showers and ventilation. One drawback is that it is a hotel and does not offer lobby amenities associated with motels such as coffee service (there are are in-room one-cup machines).

Lakewood, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were on a business trip during their renovation. Although there was some minor inconvenience, the positives outweighed the negatives. Valet parking was efficient. Room service very fast. A block off the main drag, but easy walking distance to restaurants and Starbucks!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is my second stay at Sheraton Silver Spring in 6 months and I will give them credit for many improvements since I last reviewed the hotel in August 2012 when I failed them with a one star. That's not to say they are perfect yet, but they are close.

Hotel and Rooms - The construction in the lobby appears to be complete and the restaurant and bar were hopping with life. Before, the place was vacant as guests avoided the saw dust. Reception boasted that the construction to the main floor was complete but the rooms had still not been worked on. This explains that worn look I noticed before. However, this time my suite appeared to be in better shape and the bed was very comfortable. I slept like a baby.

Amenities - The gym was upgraded with the Sheraton theme, but the machines already appeared to be broken. Guests waited in line for the treadmills and elliptical machines that actually worked. I ordered room service and the food was quite good. The service was quick. The kitchen made an error and sent fries instead of a side salad. Room service quickly fixed the error. She must have ran through the hotel to fix it.

Lounge - I did not visit the lounge in the evening as I had dinner plans, but I had breakfast there. Again, much improved from last time. They actually had bacon and eggs. The coffee was terrible though. It tasted like motor oil. And I like strong coffee Management needs to work with the host to hold back on the beans.

Parking - I did not valet my car this time as I did not want to be late for another appointment while they worked out the kinks. However, they are still clueless for parking. When I drove down there, per instructions from the front desk, the gates were open and no attendant was in sight. I drove right to a parking spot and left the car. When I left the next day, I presented the parking attendant with the paper the front desk said to use. He had no clue and asked for my room folio. I get these emailed to me so I had none. He paused for a moment to think and then let me go.

Billing Error - I did have to call on a billing error. Platinum guests are to enjoy free WiFi. I was charged. I called accounting and the error was quickly fixed.

Elevators - The last time I was there, one was being worked on. This time, they were super slow. I actually got stuck on one for a few moments. It appears the motherboards can't handle peak usage times.

Area - Silver Spring is a short (10 minute) walk to the metro and then a 20 minute ride to DC. Silver Spring itself is nice, but nothing that really wows you. There are restaurants but the area just seems a bit run down. I saying this having lived in downtown silver spring 10 years ago. The revitalization of the downtown with moving the Discovery HQ there really did nothing for the area. Sure, more restaurants opened up, but all seemed quite dead, like they were starving for business.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TheWanderingGourmand
Shawn M, General Manager at Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear The Wandering Gourmand:

Thank you for your most recent review. We are delighted to hear that you found your most recent stay better than you last stay with us. We value your feedback and we always use the customers voice to help us improve. We have passed your compliments as well as feedback along to our staff.

We're looking forward to your next visit!

Shawn M.
Homewood Suites Silver Spring
#3 of 12 in Silver Spring
4.0 of 5 stars 412 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring

Been to Sheraton Silver Spring Hotel? Share your experiences!