“A comfortable stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A comfortable stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed recently with my mother and daughter for a family visit. The rooms were comfortable and a notch above what I expected. Closet space is very limited, almost nonexistent. The bath was smallish but not too small. Small elevators. Only 2 luggage carts. Continental breakfast was good including bagels, toast, cereal, waffles, eggs, sausage, etc. The staff was very pleasant and attentive to correcting a problem I had booking the first night's stay. No on-site restaurant. The rate was comparable to nicer hotels nearby. Parking is $10 a day.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
eugenemorris, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring, responded to this review, February 26, 2013

We value your opinion and appreciate your business during your recent stay.

Thank you for your comment and we look forward to you returning to the Comfort Inn- DC Gateway for your next stay and please recommend us.

VP of Operations & Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am in the military and was in the area to go to Walter Reed for an appt, and while being there decided to sighsee with my family. Navy Lodge in Bethesda messed up my reservations, and after driving all night was desperately needing a room somewhere. All the other hotels were booked and the ones that had vacancies had terrible reviews. So, I called Comfort Inn, Jamie at the front desk took good care of me and my family, getting us into a clean room (which is what I appreicate most when I stay at a hotel) and was able to get a fantastic rate even though we arrived at 6 am and needed the room for 1 1/2 days. Liked the hotel so much that we stayed 3 additional nights. Great breakfast in the a.m. and so happy that there was off street parking that was well lit and had cameras. Overrall I would stay here again and would recommend.

Room Tip: Request a room at the end of a hall for less noise
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

San Diego, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at this Comfort Inn for 6 days. The location is 0.6 miles from Silver Spring Metro and the hotel provides a shuttle to the station if you don’t want to walk. It is about a 20-minute metro ride to D.C. There are many eating places around the area and a 7-11 across the hotel. I travelled solo and as a female, felt safe walking at night.
The room was in clean condition except the light switches were very grimy. On 2 separate days, I found black hair in the hotel towels. There is nothing grosser than finding hair in what is expected to be clean! The hot water did not work one of the nights until the following afternoon. The bed was comfortable except the pillows are too small.
The customer service from the female staff was excellent! They always had a smile on their faces and very welcoming. For this, I give them 5 stars.
However, most of male staff needs customer service. A few weeks before my arrival, I called to confirm my reservation. The male who answered the phone did not understand English and he had to transfer the phone to another female staff. On another occasion, I came downstairs to catch the shuttle. I heard the male at the front desk in a confrontation with a guest. He could have handled that situation better. Afterwards, I asked him about the shuttle. He wasn’t friendly towards me nor did he make an effort to call the driver. I had to follow up, this time with a female staff, in which she called the driver.
The worst encounter was on my last day. It was 4 am and walked at the front desk. I was standing in front of Jaime for about a minute and not once he looked up from his computer. He acted as if I was invisible! I finally said, “Hi, I’m checking out” and he told me that he was busy and I had to wait 5 minutes. When he was done, he said, “Here you go” as he handed the bill. No thank you, not an ounce of customer service from him. I spent over $1,200 staying at this hotel and my business was not appreciated at all. Next time, I’ll take my business somewhere else! A few minutes later, another guest came to check out. Again, Jaime did not look up from his computer and the guest was the one who greeted him first. Why is this guy working the front desk?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank sarapngbacasyon
eugenemorris, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We value your opinion and appreciate your business. Please contact our General Manager for your inconvience and we apologize that your stay was not legendary.

Our hotel will be addressing all matters concerning your guest experience. I hope you give us another chance to "win" your business.

Thank you for your comment and your concerns,

Travelers are raving about these Silver Spring hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed at many comfort inns around the country this one is average to poor. The hot water did not work the first night and the shuttle service which I was promised did not have a driver that day. The breakfast area was very crowded and you could barely have a spot to sit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
eugenemorris, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 23, 2013

Thank you for your comment and your concerns,

Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here for a week recently and the overall experience was really good. Since Silver Spring was a new area to me, I was scared at first of how the hotel might be. But the location was good and so was the stay. Staff were all friendly and caring, especially the ever-smiling Donna. Its location is perfect for people working downtown, and there are quite a few good restaurants nearby for those who care to walk.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
eugenemorris, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring, responded to this review, September 10, 2013

Mt. Pleasant, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The rooms were very nice.

This hotel is walking distance from the metro. The people working at this hotel did their jobs in a caring, professional manner, often going out of their way to make our stay a wonderful one.

When there was a small problem with the arrangement of our two rooms, the problem was fixed quickly.

I needed help printing out an email confirmation I had received for a tour and they assisted us in that.

Another example of their going out of their way to help us was on our last day there. We were eating the nice breakfast they provide and our suitcases were with us as we ate, so we could get a quick start on our walk to the Silver Spring metro station which would get us to Reagan National Airport. We had the bad luck of leaving on a rare day of metro rail repairs so the nearby Silver Spring station was closed that day. We were planning on catching a bus from a ways beyond the station which would take us to the closest open rail stop.

Donna, the Customer Service representative for the hotel, asked us if we wanted a ride to the metro bus stop and took us there, giving us a huge jump start on our journey, and taking away any stress related to getting to the airport on time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Zion
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Overall - a very pleasant experience. One of the best Comfort Inns I've frequented.

Pros - The entire staff was excellent. Very helpful and knowledgeable of the area (DC).
- The room was clean and comfortable.
- Breakfast was great

Cons - Parking Charge. Really????
- Extra electrical outlets on the wall behind the nightstands did not work

Room Tip: Hotel is less than 10 minutes from the White House.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Homewood Suites Silver Spring
Homewood Suites Silver Spring
#3 of 12 in Silver Spring
4.0 of 5 stars 412 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring? Share your experiences!