New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring

Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
San Diego, CA
“Some Staff Need Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed at this Comfort Inn for 6 days. The location is 0.6 miles from Silver Spring Metro and the hotel provides a shuttle to the station if you don’t want to walk. It is about a 20-minute metro ride to D.C. There are many eating places around the area and a 7-11 across the hotel. I travelled solo and as a female, felt safe walking at night.
The room was in clean condition except the light switches were very grimy. On 2 separate days, I found black hair in the hotel towels. There is nothing grosser than finding hair in what is expected to be clean! The hot water did not work one of the nights until the following afternoon. The bed was comfortable except the pillows are too small.
The customer service from the female staff was excellent! They always had a smile on their faces and very welcoming. For this, I give them 5 stars.
However, most of male staff needs customer service. A few weeks before my arrival, I called to confirm my reservation. The male who answered the phone did not understand English and he had to transfer the phone to another female staff. On another occasion, I came downstairs to catch the shuttle. I heard the male at the front desk in a confrontation with a guest. He could have handled that situation better. Afterwards, I asked him about the shuttle. He wasn’t friendly towards me nor did he make an effort to call the driver. I had to follow up, this time with a female staff, in which she called the driver.
The worst encounter was on my last day. It was 4 am and walked at the front desk. I was standing in front of Jaime for about a minute and not once he looked up from his computer. He acted as if I was invisible! I finally said, “Hi, I’m checking out” and he told me that he was busy and I had to wait 5 minutes. When he was done, he said, “Here you go” as he handed the bill. No thank you, not an ounce of customer service from him. I spent over $1,200 staying at this hotel and my business was not appreciated at all. Next time, I’ll take my business somewhere else! A few minutes later, another guest came to check out. Again, Jaime did not look up from his computer and the guest was the one who greeted him first. Why is this guy working the front desk?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sarapngbacasyon
eugenemorris, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

We value your opinion and appreciate your business. Please contact our General Manager for your inconvience and we apologize that your stay was not legendary.

Our hotel will be addressing all matters concerning your guest experience. I hope you give us another chance to "win" your business.

Thank you for your comment and your concerns,

VP of Operations & Sales

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

I have stayed at many comfort inns around the country this one is average to poor. The hot water did not work the first night and the shuttle service which I was promised did not have a driver that day. The breakfast area was very crowded and you could barely have a spot to sit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
eugenemorris, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring, responded to this review, January 23, 2013

Thank you for your comment and your concerns,

Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed here for a week recently and the overall experience was really good. Since Silver Spring was a new area to me, I was scared at first of how the hotel might be. But the location was good and so was the stay. Staff were all friendly and caring, especially the ever-smiling Donna. Its location is perfect for people working downtown, and there are quite a few good restaurants nearby for those who care to walk.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
eugenemorris, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC N Silver Spring, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

We value your opinion and appreciate your business during your recent stay.

Thank you for your comment and we look forward to you returning to the Comfort Inn- DC Gateway for your next stay and please recommend us.

Mt. Pleasant, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

The rooms were very nice.

This hotel is walking distance from the metro. The people working at this hotel did their jobs in a caring, professional manner, often going out of their way to make our stay a wonderful one.

When there was a small problem with the arrangement of our two rooms, the problem was fixed quickly.

I needed help printing out an email confirmation I had received for a tour and they assisted us in that.

Another example of their going out of their way to help us was on our last day there. We were eating the nice breakfast they provide and our suitcases were with us as we ate, so we could get a quick start on our walk to the Silver Spring metro station which would get us to Reagan National Airport. We had the bad luck of leaving on a rare day of metro rail repairs so the nearby Silver Spring station was closed that day. We were planning on catching a bus from a ways beyond the station which would take us to the closest open rail stop.

Donna, the Customer Service representative for the hotel, asked us if we wanted a ride to the metro bus stop and took us there, giving us a huge jump start on our journey, and taking away any stress related to getting to the airport on time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We value your opinion and appreciate your business during your recent stay.

Zion
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

Overall - a very pleasant experience. One of the best Comfort Inns I've frequented.

Pros - The entire staff was excellent. Very helpful and knowledgeable of the area (DC).
- The room was clean and comfortable.
- Breakfast was great

Cons - Parking Charge. Really????
- Extra electrical outlets on the wall behind the nightstands did not work

Room Tip: Hotel is less than 10 minutes from the White House.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Freeport, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

I came down with family for my birthday weekend to visit my brother and see a concert at the Fillmore ....It was a great location and they offer a shuttle !! The staff was very friendly and always made sure my family was good..The breakfast was buffet style and offered eggs, sausage,bagels, cereal, waffles etc...Donna,guest service rep, always made sure the area was clean and restocked and you had everything you needed ...Our room was well maintained !!! The only thing was parking is tight! ,...you paid $10 a night but on the weekend the garage right next to the hotel is FREE !! When we addressed it and parked at the garage the next night, the staff returned our $10 for a night on each car.....THANK YOU to all staff members for a good weekend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

We recently spent 2 nights at the Comfort Inn Georgia Ave because we wanted to attend a concert at the Fillmore in Silver Spring and perhaps wander around DC a bit. The staff was all very friendly and hospitable and for the price paid compared to the prices asked by other hotels in the area the hotel is a good value. We plan to stay there again in the future, and hopefully by the time we return the renovations and upgrades will be finished. Our room was small, it had enough space for the 2 beds, a nightstand, a desk with chair, a tv stand/armoire with a nice new flat screen tv, the small fridge with the microwave and coffee maker, the luggage rack and 1 "comfy chair" with ottoman. I wish it had been a tiny bit bigger and had room for a table with 2 chairs but I've certainly stayed in smaller hotel rooms in my life. I think partly its an adjustment to urban space, to get used to the smaller closet, smaller bathroom etc.

When we stayed there they were in the middle of upgrading the furniture in the rooms and there were signs posted for travelers warning them that unassembled furniture might be stashed in the rooms waiting for the workers to install, specifically headboards and mirrors. True to their word we had both leaning up against the wall in various spots in the room which might have been a bit unsightly and not very "luxury" hotel feeling, but didn't actually impact our stay at all except for the visual. It made sense though, they had nowhere to put everything once it was delivered so each room's new furniture was basically put in the room until the crews got to that room to remove the old and install the new. Beyond that the rooms needed new wallpaper, you could see a few patches etc, and I think we had one tiny spot of carpet that needed a patch but all I really cared was the carpet was clean, and it was. The wifi and fridge worked well, the fridge almost too well since I ended up with a coke zero slushy and an iced coffee slushy during our stay. Honestly, I didn't mind that at all, better icy drinks then warm food if you have to pick.

The beds had been upgraded with decent matresses, decent linens and the new style of duvet where they put the sheets on both sides of it vs the old style of bedspread or blankets that rarely got washed. All of the linens were spotless, and my only quibble is despite the fact there were 4 pillow per bed they were small pillows. I'd have much preferred 2-3 larger ones. Because I have some neck/back issues I always pack my own pillow when we vacation and this time I forgot, so there was a bit of arranging trying to get stuff just right with the smaller pillows. If they'd been full sized I think I'd have been fine.

Bathroom was tiny, but like everything else clean and had a reasonable stash of toiletries in it. Plenty of towels and all that stuff. The counter around our sink was cracked and had been repaired, which might have bothered me except I could tell from the furniture that our room was about to be redone and that issue would be addressed then. It didn't affect our stay any, and was fully functional just a pinch unsightly. We did inquire about it when we checked out, if only to make sure it wasn't blamed on us and they apologized and said it was on the upgrade/renovation list and they chided us a bit that if we'd mentioned it when we arrived they'd have been happy to move us. I suspect that the check-in staff didn't know what room that sink was in, even though it was on the list of repairs -particularly since it was a cosmetic vs functional problem. We told them honestly it was so late when we checked in that we'd seen it, had a 1 minute conversation between ourselves about it, decided we didn't care and it wasn't worth the effort to get a room change. If we'd been paying $150+ a night I'd have asked for a different room, but at nearly midnight, for only 2 nights, and with us needing a smoking room and everything in the room being clean and usable (and the hotel rather booked) I didn't mind. Especially since we were paying in the $70's.

I'm confident by the time we get back there for another weekend that if we were to book the same room the counter would be replaced and everything would be new and shiny. I just hope the price won't have gone up a lot when they're done. Its already a good value and when the renovations are finished it will be a great value. If you stay there in the near future you can always ask specifically for a room where the renovations are complete, they seemed to be working hard at them so it shouldn't take long until its no longer an issue.

Breakfast area is small, we didn't get a chance to partake of it, but it looked like they had an ok assortment of items for that price point and we didn't hear any other hotel guests complain about it. The neighborhood is a bit gritty, but that's the city for you. There is a security guard in the hotel lobby all night, and you have to get buzzed in the entrance. Parking is tight and costs $10 a day but we never had a problem getting a space. The hotel is built so basically only the lobby is on the ground floor, surrounded by parking with the rest of the hotel built above it. We felt safe walking to/from our cars at all hours but I'd definitely keep my car locked and wouldn't leave stuff visible in the car. We stashed the gps, but left the faceplate on the stereo if that gives you any indication as to how we felt about the neighborhood. There's a 7-11 within sight of the hotel, I'd walk there alone during the day but only with other people at night. If you're more used to urban life then I am it probably wouldn't bother you, but without knowing the neighborhood better my personal choice would be to err on the side of intelligent caution.

To sum it up, we plan to stay there again. Its a really good value for the price with some caveats. Anybody who's used to budget hotels will be quite satisfied, if you're a Ritz & Carlton type, then it might not suit you.

Room Tip: They're in the middle of renovating and updating the rooms with new furniture etc, so feel ask f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple