“NYE at The Classics”

The Classics
Ranked #15 of 389 Restaurants in Silver Spring
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Classics Restaurant, in Silver Spring MD, is a Zagat top-rated and Washingtonian Magazine "100 Best Restaurants" winner, yearly since 2007. Formerly Ray's The Classics, we continue the tradition of providing the finest premium steaks and seafood menu items at the most approachable pricing in an inclusive atmosphere.
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I are pretty much regulars here and our NYE dinner party of 6 went great. Big steaks, variety of sauces to accompany, friendly prices, and great service from Austin this time. We split a cowboy cut bone-in ribeye for the entre. All the staff are always good to us. Dinner is always finished by house made chocolate. Sit in the bar for the Bistro special;great value!

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I visited this restaurant on a busy Friday night, without making a reservation. Being a solo diner, I was offered a place at the bar, which I accepted. I was disappointed to see they did not stock Cointreau, which meant my cocktail of choice, a Sidecar, was not available. Instead, I settled on a Whisky Soda. The lack of Cointreau would prove to be the only disappointment of the night.

I snacked on the complimentary spiced cashews while looking over the menu. Despite being busy, the wait staff was attentive and I decided on the Caesar salad, Filet Mignon with Béarnaise sauce, and steamed broccoli. Mashed potatoes and creamed spinach were included with the meal but I told them to hold the spinach since I would be trying the broccoli.

I've eaten many, many, Caesar salads all over the world, and am usually disappointed. That, however, was not the case here, and I will say the salad was one of the top five I have had in the last thirty years. The chef was not afraid to use garlic, and the Romaine was cold and crisp An anchovy stuffed olive was a nice touch.

The steak was cooked exactly as I ordered it - medium rare- and the Béarnaise sauce was like icing on the cake. The steak would have melted in my mouth without any accompaniment, but the Béarnaise was the perfect partner. The broccoli was topped with a subtle garlic butter finish, and was also done perfectly - fresh and just a little crisp. The potatoes were rich and even.

I was surprised to see a Rioja on the wine list, so I had a glass with the meal. The pour was more than generous.

Desserts, which I had to pass on, were dark chocolate mousse, key lime pie, and strawberries and cream root beer float. Instead, I savored the complimentary hot chocolate that came with the check.

Restrooms were clean, bright, and well maintained (well, at least the men's room was - I didn't poke my nose into the ladies room). The dining room looked comfortable and friendly.

Wait staff were attentive, friendly, and efficient.

Free parking behind the restaurant.

The new owner, who you can see behind the bar, has renamed the establishment "The Classics." So far, it is classic good service, good food, and good value. Just don't ask for a classic Sidecar.

1  Thank Greg L
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We have been to this Ray's several times and it is a classically solid steakhouse. It is also relatively less inexpensive than most. The steak, and other mains comes with some very good sides: mashed potatoes and creamed spinach. Ray's also provides complimentary seasoned cashews and rosemary bread. I only eat steak a few times a year but they do it well (although that is rare in my case).

I have paid sixty bucks just for the steak in places such as Denver and Texas that pride themselves on steak. Ray's is almost as good. Almost. We have not ever been disappointed at Ray's and there are plenty of dishes for people who don't want beef. Nancy had a great scallop dish. It is a definite Go.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Came in last night for dinner first timer and let me say after reading reviews I wasn't exactly expecting what we got. Within 2 minutes of sitting down in the front area near the bar (which was admittedly empty besides another couple and the bar patrons) we had water fresh warm bread and deliciously spiced cashews. Our waiter came to the table shortly after and was able to speak knowledgably about the local beers on tap to help my date with his selection. We both choose to take advantage of “The Grill Special”. We both started with the crab bisque which was superb! To follow onglet (two good sized pieces per order) that came with two huge dishes of creamed spinach and mashed potatoes both savory and delicious. After our waiter offered us dessert (we were stuffed!) The check was presented with a homemade peanut butter chocolate candy in a small bowl for each of us. All in all it was one of the nicest dining experiences I remember having in a very long time. I will most definitely be back.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This will not be a a fair review because we did not get to eat there. Here is what happened:

I have been wanting to try this restaurant. So, our child got me a $100.00 birthday gift card there in April. It had an expiration date of 10/1/13 on it. Unfortunately major back-to-back unwelcome long term illnesses occurred in our family and I became the caretaker. We just haven't been able to get there. So I called today on Oct. 1st and explained the circumstance to one of the owners to see if we could get an extension, or if we could use the gift certificate at 1/2 price. He asked when we could get there, and I said by the end of the week. The answer was absolutely no to the extension and to the 1/2 price idea. This owner told me that he and his co-owner bought this restaurant in July and they have been taking a loss on the gift certificates. I understand business and that they felt they had to draw the line. But I also understand trying to build a business and customer service. I came away very disappointed that this owner didn't understand illnesses. I never expected this answer and lack of compassion. My expectation was that he would have at least said, "I can't honor the full price, but I would like for you to come in, have a great meal and then come back again and bring your family." Hence, disappointed in Ray's and feeling really stupid for having wasted my child's generous gift.

2  Thank Lisa T