“Excellent”
Review of The Classics - CLOSED

The Classics
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Classics Restaurant, in Silver Spring MD, is a Zagat top-rated and Washingtonian Magazine "100 Best Restaurants" winner, yearly since 2007. Formerly Ray's The Classics, we continue the tradition of providing the finest premium steaks and seafood menu items at the most approachable pricing in an inclusive atmosphere.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Excellent....No Complaints...Just good.

Go for the cowboy cut or the house special. The place is a bit on the expensive side, but definitely worth it for a birthday dinner or a special night. The atmosphere is upscale yet still casual.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

This is one of my favorite restaurants in Silver Spring. I've been to Ray's a few times, and it never disappoints. The steaks are great and there is a style for any meat-lover (I personally recommend the peppercorn steak). Before the meal, the friendly (but formal) waiter brings some tasty cashews and good bread, which will keep diners happy. The scallops are incredibly fresh, either blackened or buttered. The burgers (only available near the bar) are big and juicy, for a good price. Everything I've had here has been stellar. Great upscale-ish place in DTSS.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

We go to Ray's often since our business is in Silver Spring. The 3 course dinner for $23.95 is the best deal around. My husband loves the hanger steak and I go with the scallops ( I do not eat meat). Their cream spinach and mash potatoes are to die for.
They have a great wine list and the regular menu does not break the bank.

Reviewed July 29, 2011

My wife & I went here for a dinner to celebrate our first anniversary (albeit 1 week late....)

The food was very good (not superb). Steaks were tender & flavorful; my wife's was over-done slighly more than she prefered, but she didn't want to fuss. For $32 per steak, I'd rather she should make a polite complaint to the waiter.

Service was almost "too good" -- we felt as if they were in a hurry to have us fed & out the door quickly. However, the did bring our dessert gratis as I'd mentioned the anniversary when making the reservation.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Love this place. Not much more to say. Prices are quite fair for what you get. I never leave hungry. Staff is friendly and consistent, wine selection is good, GREAT steaks, baked potatoes, claim chowder, chocolate mouse, sautéed mushrooms, and even the broccoli is good! Some of the steaks are better than others, but they are all quite tasty (I prefer the Fillet Mignon, no sauce). I would recommend their bistro menu also, very nice price. I like the hell burger, too, but others in my group of locals prefer the burgers at quarry house.

The shtick of this place, just FYI, is form over function. It looks nice enough inside, but they say they want you paying for fine food, not fancy decorations. It is still well suited for a date or fancy dinner with out of town guests or work colleagues, but the impressive part is the food not the décor. Last I checked, though, it was still on the top 100 list of DC Metro restaurants.

Over all, I love this place and I strongly recommend for a "nicer" dinner (it's a very good value, but it's not cheap); I've invited everyone here who comes to visit us and everyone has liked it). This is one of may favourite restaurants ever.

Warning: they are not open on Sundays or for lunch