“Great location and nice breakfast”

Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed here on business and was pleasantly surprised that it was easy walking distance to a lot of shopping and restaurants. I also stopped by Ben and Jerry's for a core sundae (yum)!

The room is like at other Courtyards.

I was very appreciative of the breakfast. It takes awhile as they do it all made to order, but I had the bacon and scrambled eggs with a cup of strawberries and it was excellent. Much better than a tired breakfast buffet, and you only spend about $10 or less. They also have oatmeal, pancakes, cold cereal, muffins, etc.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your comments and next time your in Silver Spring, there is also a Coldstone Creamery a half a block away from Ben & Jerry's and throughout the summer there are tons of activities, music and events in the downtown area which as you know is walking distance from the hotel. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

This Courtyard met the expectations; pleasant lobby, quick check in, bistro with light meals available, printer for boarding passes, and a courtyard. The rooms were comfortable, clean, and included work area with plug-ins and free wi fi. The walls were a bit thin so that one can hear some noise from other rooms, but not bad.
While this is an urban location, the hotel is adjacent to a parking deck, with a walkway directly from the deck to the lobby, which is on the 3rd floor of the hotel. On the weekends this deck is free, so that made parking for us, here on a Saturday to Sunday, very easy.
The location is excellent. A few blocks away is the metro for an easy ride to D.C. One block away is "downtown Silver Spring" which at least on Saturday had the street closed to cars, and in this area are numerous restaurants, stores, courtyard with benches, and while we were there, music.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Wow, thank you for this awesome review. I appreciate your comments and I'm so glad you were able to experience all that the Courtyard and Silver Spring downtown have to offer. We look forward to serving you on your return visit.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Really good location, simple modern room at 7th floor, facing the parking garage, we wanted a quiet room, love it. But air-conditioner was not working properly the second night, it was very warm that day, the third night was better?? Will stay there again.
Please use real coffee mugs in the room, not the disposable foam cups, it is a Courtyard not a motel/inn.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your comments and look forward to your next visit to Silver Spring. Let me know when you are coming in and I'll make sure you have real coffee cups in your room.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

The Courtyard Downtown in Silver Spring left me with mixed reviews. The check in was easy, the parking garage was attached at the 5th floor which was nice. After settling into the room, which was very clean and comfortable, I went back to the front desk. A friend left an important envelope at this hotel I needed the next morning. I was told they did not have it. The one person at the desk looked in an area in the back and found nothing, nor was there a "message" on my reservation where other staff would leave important notes for a guest's stay. I insisted that it was indeed left there. They opened a drawer in front of them of the two kiosks they use and found nothing. The hotel staff then accused my friend of leaving it at the wrong hotel since there were "other hotels in the area." A family was waiting to check in so I left. I then texted my friend and they confirmed the time, date and hotel location of where they dropped it off. I went back downstairs to the front desk and told them an envelop was indeed left there two days prior. The hotel staff told me they would look on the schedule and try to contact that person, but could not since there was no manager on duty and one would not be there until after I checked out tomorrow. Eventually, another staff member showed up and was told all this to which she said "we have to find that envelope." She started actually looking for it and, low and behold, there it was in the same drawer he had checked. I have to fault the staff twice for this. First, for not originally marking my reservation with a "message" as to the location of the envelope. Second, the staff member that basically did not want to look for it. Once that was resolved, my wife woke up around 2:30 AM due to the screeching tires in the adjacent parking garage. Aside from those two points, the hotel was fine, comfortable, clean, solid wifi. However, due to the issues with staff and noise, I decided 3 stars would be appropriate.

Room Tip: Don't rely on the staff for anything important and ask for a room away from the garage.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for your very detailed review of your experience while at the Courtyard. I am so sorry that we did not respond to your request in a more efficient manner and I am embarrassed that we made it more difficult for you to get the envelope that you were looking for. Your feedback is truly important to the success of our hotel and I have already spoken to the entire front office team about this situation. It is never our goal to provide less than exceptional service and we let you down and I apologize for this. We sincerely look forward to our next opportunity to serve you when your travel brings you to the Silver Spring area.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 28, 2014

The Courtland Marriot Hotel in Silver Spring, Maryland was a modern lovely hotel with many amenities. A comfortable bed, eco friendly, and wonderful friendly people. The breakfast is made per person, yum. Unfortunately they suffer from the malady of noisy room air conditioners. This was true in three of the rooms and I suspect more than that. So to get a good sleep bring earplugs. There is also construction across the street from the Courtland so be aware of what side your room is on.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent overnight stay with us. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with the exception of the air conditioning unit and the noise that it made during your stay. I assure you that we will continue to work with our maintenance team to make sure we are doing everything necessary to avoid these issues in the future. We hope you will come and stay with us again in the future.

Best Regards

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Great location, staff very friendly, but room was humid and noisy due to ice machine in hallway cranking out hot air and the air conditioning unit extremely noisy. Finally put towel under door to block hot, humid air from coming in, but the noise from air deafening. Quite disappointing as the location was extremely convenient. Hopefully they will update soon.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Please accept my most sincere apology for the issues you experienced during your most recent stay with us. We are in the process of having some major HVAC work done which is why you experienced the humidity coming through the door. The other issues are in the process of being corrected. I hope that when you travel to the Silver Spring area you will again give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

We spent a few days in this hotel and had a wonderful stay. From the moment we walked in, the staff were very friendly and welcoming and we had a very smooth check-in. The staff members were always available if we needed anything and took great care of us. Truly excellent service here! The rooms were comfortable and everything was very clean. The location is also hard to beat. It's within walking distance to the metro station which is very convenient. Also, the hotel open up to downtown silver spring which is always a fun place to be. I would recommend this hotel to everyone and am really looking forward to my next stay. Thank you for your wonderful service!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2014

Hi Sara,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and were able to enjoy the surrounding area. When your travel brings you back to the Silver Spring area we look forward to welcoming you back!