“They just keep being amazing!”

Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Seattle, Washington
“They just keep being amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

I checked in on Super Bowl Sunday, which seemed to be a less than stellar day for more than the Broncos. The elevator was having issues, the door keys didn't seem to wanna work, and the Bistro wasn't answering the phone. Sounds bad right? Well it could have been had it not been for Jessica at the front desk, who escorted me to the room, made sure I had a working key, and made sure the phone got answered. She was always smiling, super duper helpful, and really turned a potentially bad experience into a good one!! She is definitely a treasure and I hope they utilize her to help teach others what great customer service is!! She is truly amazing and reflects well on the Marriott family!!

Room Tip: I love the one King with a sofabed rooms!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent stay with us. I'm sorry we started out on a bad note and I'm glad you got a chance to work with Jessica to correct the key issues. She is a gem and I will certainly pass on your comments to her. I'm sure she will appreciate being recognized. Your comments are much appreciated as we continue to strive to provide exceptional service for all our guests. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Chatham, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

I've stayed here for both business and family visits, probably more than a dozen times over the past few years. If you need a convenient lodging option in the Silver Spring location, this is a predictable choice. Rooms are clean and adequately sized. The downtown Silver Spring location gives many walkable dining and shopping options, and the Metro is a shuttle ride or healthy walk away. The heating/cooling wall units are unusually noisy, but the hotel appears to be replacing them. Mattresses are too soft for my taste. Food services are standard Courtyard fare, reasonably priced and acceptable variety for casual breakfast or dinner when you want to stay in. The attached Washington Athletic Club offers a great workout option, but doesn't open until 8 am on weekends.

Room prices vary widely by day of the week and season, but this is the DC area, after all. Staff service is variable. Never terrible, but rarely enthusiastic or energetic.

With realistic expectations, this is a good option for travelers.

Room Tip: Make sure your room key is programmed to give you access to the athletic facilities floors on the el...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Good Evening,
Thank you for your honest review. I'm sorry to hear that your stay was less than stellar. We strive very hard to provide an exceptional experience while in Silver Spring. I would love to get more feedback from you on what you feel we need to do to provide that exceptional service. If you have time and would like to contact me, I would appreciate it. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.

Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

I stayed here on New Years Eve. The rate was great and the hotel was surprisingly quiet. I requested an upper floor due to concern about noise. My only negative was the room temperature, which I found too hot. I kept turning down the thermostat. The hotel is convenient if you are attending the Fillmore music venue.It is a good place to crash rather than have to drive home late at night. The adjacent public parking garage can be free depending on what time of day you use it and whether it is a weekend/holiday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Courtyard. I'm sorry your room was not at the appropriate temprature and I'll have our maintenance team look into that unit. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Cape Charles, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

We are Platinum Premier members with Marriott-supposedly really appreciated-just not at this Courtyard. Upon check-in we should have been offered an upgrade, instead we had to inquire. Young lady checking us in looked for the upgrade, was trying to change our room but was unable to do so. Her supervisor came out and told us for the rate we were paying she was unable to upgrade. So, for 5 days we were in a small king room that you had to shut the bathroom door to be able to bring luggage in with a beautiful view of the parking garage. The bathroom towels were very thin, the bathroom light fixture was broken and the tiles around the tub were coming away from the wall leaving a disgusting black residue. The larger corner room that we should have been upgraded to had a microwave and refrigerator area. We did request a microwave that was delivered to our room and left outside in the hall for us to pick up and find a place for it. One day I was in the room when housekeeping came in and she actually asked me if I wanted the bed made. The hotel location was great. CVS and Whole Foods across the street and a movie theater on the corner. Nice choices for restaurants that were easily walked to. Try Sergios located in the Doubletree lower level - fabulous! I know Courtyards have changed their amenities, but I still believe that for $200 a night (at least) you should be able to get a free cup of coffee or tea and not be pushed to Starbucks! The hotel also has the right to use the Washington Sports Club -fitness room and indoor lap pool. This was a nice perk that was accessible by hotel elevator. The front desk personnel were friendly and pleasant. I might stay here again because of the location, but would really push for our earned upgrade. Never had this issue at any other Marriott property, from beach resorts to business venues. They will probably reply that a room was not available for the entire 5 days, but I'm not buying it since the first lady found one.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank 2TravlinFools
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
I want to say that I am grateful for your review and I'm very disappointed that we did not live up to the expectation that you had when you came into our hotel. I now have the opportunity to take this review back to my team and help them understand the how their service was perceived. We continually strive to provide the best service that our guests expect from a Marriott hotel and we let you down. I invite you to come back in and give us another opportunity to serve you. Thank you again for your comments.

Kent, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Good (Marriott Quality) value for this inexpensive room except for bathroom. There is no method for hanging up a garment or toilet kit or a traveling mirror in the tub/shower room or outside in the sink area. No shelves, no hooks or other places to hang bathrobes, small items or hanging cosmetic or toiletry kits. (There is a closed with wide opening doors that interfere with movement in the tiny space but it's a big deal to operate just to hang a robe of toilet kit).

Tis bathroom needs hooks in rooms and especially in the shower enclosure.

The water pressure is so high in the bathroom sink that the small curved-bottom drinking class sent the gusher right back out the glass and all over the small sink surface area soaking anything that's sitting there.

The bathroom needs a re-do by a qualifies industrial designer.

Room Tip: Ask about free wi-fi. Insist that it should not be an extra cost item. (My Marriott Courtyard was fr...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your comments and will discuss your concerns with our Chief Engineer. We may be able to put some of your suggestions to use. Thank you for staying with us and I hope that you will come and see us again soon.

Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Hotel located near multiple restaurants and few blocks from Silver Spring Metro line. Whole Foods and CVS across the street. Limited shopping options as nearby mall is practically empty. Housekeeping inconsistent with making bed and replacing towels. Cafe staff very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed December 2013
Cheryl B, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at the Courtyard. I'm happy to hear our location fits with your needs while in the Silver Spring area. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We have family in Silver Spring and travel there regularly; we had stayed at a couple of different hotels and decided to give this one a try. The hotel is modern, clean, and convenient to everything. Easy walk to all shopping and restaurants. (Note that the parking garage is actually on Wayne Ave and sort of behind the hotel - we came in from the wrong direction and had to circle the block a couple of times before we figured it out- but after the first time it was easy.) Desk, housekeeping and service staff are uniformly friendly and cheerful. We could often hear noise from the ice machine when we were out in the hall, but our room seemed well-soundproofed and quiet. Accommodations and staff get an A.
Only downside was the food - breakfast, coffee, and snacks are all at the "Bistro" in the lobby - and mostly seem to consist of prepackaged food items that the staff heats in a microwave. There are some bagels and oatmeal in the breakfast selection, but the eggs etc seemed pretty unappetizing. My husband must keep a gluten-free diet, and there was little there that he could eat. Fortunately the Whole Foods is right across the street. And bonus points go to the staff at the Bistro who were at least informed enough to know that nothing was gluten free, instead of giving us that deer-in-the headlights look that we sometimes get when we ask.
In response to a previous traveler's comment - the complimentary coffee is available at the Bistro- you just have to know to ask for it specifically, because it comes out of a different pot from the coffee that they sell (presumably it is not as good coffee.) This seems like a cheap move, and also unnecessarily complicated.
So, on the balance- pretty decent place. Accommodations definitely better than other places we have stayed; food not so much. We would probably stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I appreciate your detail of the facilities and services you experienced during your stay and am happy that you feel we are a good option in Silver Spring. I'm sorry that our food options were not to your liking but I'm glad there was a close alternative for you choose. We strive to provide the best in product and service and truly appreciate the comments you've made. We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.