“Convenient and Comfortable”

Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I have stayed at the Downtown Silver Spring Courtyard numerous times since it opened. The hotel is in the central Silver Spring shopping, dining and recreational complex. It is just a few blocks from the Metro, across the street from Whole Foods Market and steps away from a variety of eateries. It is also just a short distance from my relative's home. This Courtyard is ideal for my purposes. On various stays I have used the hotel van for transportation to the Metro and a ride over to my brothers. The van is available on a "first come, first serve" basis in a certain radius of the hotel.
The lobby and rooms were refurbished since my last visit in Dec of 2010. The color scheme changed from blue to red. The lobby is more contemporary and the room decor is very stylish. Even the bathroom looks spruced up and they might have even re-tiled the tub/shower. I had a room with 2 queen beds, it was spacious and comfortable. Plenty of towels, coffee maker and nice big flat screen TV. Unlike another reviewer that stayed over the Christmas Holiday I have no complaints with the housekeeeping service. My room was made up and I had plenty of clean towels and a fresh set of bathroom amenities.
My only disappointment was the change to the dining format. Previously, they had a breakfast room and nice buffet. I really liked the available choices; fruits, yogurt, cottage cheese, cereals, various breads, muffins and bagels, scrambled eggs and home fries. I believe they had dinner options too, but I never experienced any meal other than breakfast. I booked a Stay for Breakfast based on my previous visits. The renovations changed the food service to a bistro format. I looked at the posted menu and it did not appeal to me so I ended up changing my rate to room only. The new format looks like a Starbucks and I decided to grab something over at a Panera nearby instead of at their Bistro.
If you don't want to be bothered with a car and need a central location near the Metro the Silver Spring Courtyard Downtown is a good choice for visiting Silver Spring and beyond.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms with 2 beds.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank 105countries
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2012

105countries,

Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel! I am sorry that you do not like the new food and beverage format that we are offering at the hotel. The idea with the Bistro was to make a quicker; more affordable dining option for our guests. We are truly appreciative of your business and look forward to seeing you in the future. Happy New Year.....

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Stayed here between the 26th and 29th of December 2011. While the location is superb and many aspects of the hotel were adequate, our entire experience was soured by poor or non-existent housekeeping. Upon checking in we found a missed dirty towel in the bedroom-really not a big deal. The following day we returned to our room at 3:30 and the housekeeping staff had just collected the dirty towels and put the garbage cans in one area of the room-unemptied. The bed was unmade, trash not emptied and towels not replaced. As we were exhausted and just wanted to rest we just asked the housekeeper to empty the trash and provide clean towels. We made the bed. The following day we returned to our room at 8 pm. The room was just as we left it at 9 am. This time we reported this to the front desk and while they offered dinner (we had eaten) and then a drink on them, we really just wanted to relax in the room. However, we accepted the drink so we didn't have to stay and linger while the room was attended to. Really, two complete days with no house keeping. Is there a new policy that we pay extra for that these days? While the people at the front desk took care of things, they were not particularly hospitable or friendly. We won't be staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Tulip60

Dear Tulip60,

I am sorry to hear about the challenges you faced while staying at our hotel. From your feedback it looks like even with our attempts to resolve the issues it did not change your feelings about your overall stay. I am currently working with my team to address the issues and make sure what you experienced does not happen in the future. We value your business and want you to know that we are truly sorry that this stay did not exceed your expectation. I hope that you will give us a chance in the future, so we can show you the great service you have come to expect from Marriott. Have a happy and healthy 2012.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

I was impressed the moment I walked through the door. After a long day's work and travel, the night front desk staff were friendly and efficient. My room request was met and I was on the elevator within 5 minutes. The room was beautifully decorated, clean, and odor free. Very Zen actually. The sheets, towels, bathroom, iron were all clean too. The Ipod clock radio was a dream and the flat screen LCD was also fantastic with HBO included. There was a refridgerator, but no microwave which was disappointing. I was also bothered that the air conditioner seemed to start up loudly, but then again it could just be my sensitivity to noise. There was public parking, $7 per day, free N&W, attached directly to the hotel and there was always an available space. I would defintely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank J B
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2011

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel.We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed December 1, 2011

This is a pretty nice hotel, well designed, and clean. But they do not have restaurant and room service, which is a problem for the money they charge. Also front desk staff is slow, and forgetful. I asked for a wakeup call, and thank god woke up early myself, because there was no wake up call, so I could easily miss my early train. They were not able to give clear direction about the shuttle pick up, which is by the way, is too far from metro station. The driver never helped with luggage, and seemed unhappy. The cleaning staff is too loud, laughing right at my door, which was destructive, as I was working on my computer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Maria T
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2011

Ms. Maria T,

I want to apologize for the challenges you had while staying at our hotel. I will be passing on these concerns about service to my department managers to improve the experience for future guests. With the transition to the Bistro as the option for food and beverage we unfortunately no longer offer room service or a more formal restaurant option. Our Bistro provides a more expedited approach to good food making it easier for our guests to get their food while on the go. I am not sure if you were aware that we do have a to-go option in our Bistro that would allow you to take the items ordered to your room. We truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to seeing you in the future. Have a great evening!

Courtyard by Marriott Silver Spring Downtown

Reviewed October 26, 2011

We stayed here for two nights during our visit to DC. The hotel is an easy 5 block walk to the Metro, and parking was free over the weekend. Parking is around the corner from the hotel in a multi story lot for the stores & restaurants in the area; if you park on Floor 5 there is a walk way directly into the lobby of the hotel.

The hotel and rooms are clean and comfortable. Sleeping was good with the mattress being new. Internet is included with the price of the room. Staff was friendly and helpfull with dining recommendations and directs to the Metro.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Walloweye
CYSILVERSPRING, General Manager at Courtyard Silver Spring Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2011

Thank you for your positive feedback about our hotel! We truly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed October 17, 2011

The hotel was clean and the staff was friendly enough. The biggest issue was the hotel is about a 10 - 15 min walk from the Metro and the hotel claimed "free shuttle service to metro". The first time I called to ask if they would pick us up I was told it would be about a 30 min wait because the driver was getting gas. I told them to forget it, we could walk quicker. It took about 12 mins to walk there and when we got to the hotel the shuttle was sitting there. The other 3 times I asked for shuttle service I was given various excuses. The area was nice and I did feel safe walking, but just be aware do not rely on the shuttle service to get you back and forth to the metro

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Cindy146

Ms. Cindy,

We would like to apologize for the inconvenience the shuttle caused you while staying at our hotel. We pride ourselves in giving great service and are sorry when we did not achieve that this stay. We hope to see you in the future and have a great rest of your day!

Reviewed October 6, 2011

The remodeled lobby is nice, but no free breakfast anymore. And don't arrive after 10 pm, all the nearby restaurants as well as Whole Foods are closed, as is the hotel food service. But still a nice place to stay, esp if you have to go to NOAA buildings...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Tracy98110

Ms. Tracy,

Thank you for your feedback and are glad to hear that you like the hotel. Unfortunately the only food options in the area after 10pm are delivery and items freshly prepared in our Market. Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future!