“Order carefully at Jackie's”
Review of Jackie's Restaurant - CLOSED

Jackie's Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sligo Ave
Transit: Silver Spring Metro station is .6 miles from our establishment (approximately a 12 minute walk). We are 6 blocks south of the metro on Georgia Avenue. Metrobus line 70 stops on Georgia and Sligo Avenue. Metrobus 79 (express) also runs on Georgia Avenue.
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Jackie's is a very unique restaurant- the atmosphere could not be better, the owner /hostess puts on great parties, and the food, generally speaking, is very good. The only problem is that there are some inconsistencies with the level of cooking. For example, the tilapia over collard greens is a pretty depressing order. It comes with an excessive amount of greens, black eyed peas, sweet bread and sweet potato, heavy, stodgy, and downright dismal served in what is suppose dto be a cute retro divided plate but instead is cafeteria institutional. On the other hand the Barramundi seemed like it came from a completely different kitchen, with delicious bright flavoring. My suggestion is to focus on the small plates and peruse the wine list carefully for good values. The Sidebar next door makes phenomenally better cocktails than the restaurant's bar, which is just ok, not special.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

Most folks in the Washington area know that the food at Jackie's is wonderful: adventurous, and changing. We've been eating there since it opened and the quality has always been good and each visit has offered new things to try. The neighborhood is improving and a convenient parking garage is just across the street. But I want to praise Jackies for something different that we encountered last night. One of our party was nervous about one of her choices. Our server talked with the chef to see if an adjustment could be made. It could; it was. The result still didn't please our guest (another of our party enjoyed the item in question), so she ordered a completely different item. This item, a steak, appeared with almost unbelievable speed and with absolutely unbelievable grace and concern. I'm not sure I've ever seen a bigger effort to make a customer happy. They even backed off a bit of the cost. Jackie's is a lively place, constantly experimenting with new ways to prepare good local food. That they were so accommodating to rescue someone having trouble with her choice is quite stunning. KEEP IT UP, JACKIE!: experiment and be supportive. Thanks.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

I have no clue about the restaurant but if you like cocktails stop at Jackie's Sidebar. They have cocktails for ten dollars a piece and they are very very good My family lives near by and they hit this place when ever they want to show off. I had the Frisco summer and my wife had the Happy Ending. Yes it was expensive but they were incredible drinks. Simply great. Next time I think I will splurge and try a 25 dollar cocktail... So a great place for a bump. The bartenders are friendly and told us of the best restauants in the area It was a great experience! My wife by the way had the happy ending and it was a bit too spicey the barteneders gave her another. By the end of the evening she drank both and said it was the best she ever had!

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This place is a huge rip off the cost of their food to the quantity and quality should be illegal! The beer and wine was warm. the location is in a really rough area, i felt uncomfortable with the surroundings i would absolutely never go back their again! Don't waste your money!

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Overpriced for what you get. The restaurant is pretentious in attempting to be different with strange dishes on the menu. Others have found it to be good but not I. I ordered corn-meal battered tilapia which was cooked with bacon fat - while the bacon flavor was there, it included the subtle flavor of old grease scraped out of a frying pan. The standard side veggie was black eyed peas. I asked for a substitute and nothing appealed to me so asked for something that came with another dish and the waitress came back, conveying that the chef said no - they were already allocated. This did not make sense to me. The fish layed on a bed of unappetizing, cooked greens which had a bit of vinegary flavor. The other sides, a small lump of a sweet potatoe puree and a browns sweet bread, were good. I down rated this place because of the price and lack of accomodation by the cook/chef to wish for a more appetizing side. On the plus side, the decor in this former automobile repair shop is nice. A bit loud on the background music.