“Amazing”

Cuisines: Burmese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This is a very unique and off-the-wall restaurant. We visit here when ever we are in the area and have enjoyed each time. Ask for their specials because they almost always involve flavors that are unique and delicious.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We went to Mandalay again tonight. We have been fans for quite a long time. So long, that we remember the College Park venue. It is really good. I would like to say Burmese food is is a mix of the Indian subcontinent with Thai but that is too easy. It is unto itself in many other ways.

First, it is spicier. If you ask for the spiciest dishes, expect them to bring it. We asked for that and they smiled as if we might know what we were getting into. Second, the noodle dishes are good but not what you would except from most Southeast Asian cuisines. They are drier and wider. You can get dishes that have more noodilyer noodles but that is not traditional.

Go here. Get at least one vegetarian dish (the dried bean curd is good). The rest is really good too.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

food & service are both excellent! kids friendly. You have many choices, from no-spicy to *very*-spicy food. We can certainly recommend.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My cousins had been wanting to dine here and as it got great TA reviews we decided to go for a birthday celebration. I was impressed by the vegan dishes and had already decided what I was going to get (I wasn't sorry, either!). I was, however, disappointed on arrival by how our request for a better table was initially handled. The hostess staff seemed to think it wasn't possible to seat us somewhere other than nearly up against the kitchen door and noisy back-room bussing spot. The issue was they had only one table for five. But a quick glance around and there were plenty of ways to reconfigure a few options and I said as much. We had arrived pretty early, and let it be known we were from out of town on a birthday celebration. I didn't pull out my "oh, and I write a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor" trump card because I was playing nice. We peeked outside to see our cousins arriving, and with party ready to be seated to my delight a much better seating arrangement was created. Voila, the boss got it done, and then he took our orders in such an amazingly patient, efficient way after answering a ton of questions, that I would definitely recommend and return. The tofu in coconut cream sauce was delicious, others were more or less impressed with their orders - some ordered poorly, I think. Two raved about their dishes. So three raves, two "it was ok...." A fun atmosphere, good portions, reasonable prices, and a boss who understands that on a birthday, the customer is always king (or queen!).

Reviewed October 28, 2013

the papaya rice salad is to die for: salty, sweet, sour -- very filling, too. Their sunday special chicken dish is really outstanding. It can get crowded on Saturday nights...but it's worth the wait.