“bad”

Dining options: Late Night
Newport, New Hampshire, United States
“bad”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went into this bar with my gf. First I would have to say you can't tell if it is open driving by the place. There is no sign to indicate open or not and the place is too dark to tell if it's open. To say the least we avoided going there because we thought it was closed. So that night we went the the fire house bar down the road across from this one. As we are walking around town to take off the buzz we had we decided to look into the bar again to see if it was actually open and yes it was. We decided to come back another time to try it out.

Two days later we went into the bar. The front of the bar was empty again making you wonder if they are open, but in fact they were. The waiter asked us if we wanted to sit in the front or back and that the back was cooler. Well fact is we made the wrong choice the back is not cooler. The waiter .... now I understand it's a pirate bar and all but after the 5th time of saying my lady to my gf it's also understandable if I punch you. They really need to fix the way they address people saying mateys or something like that would be better and not as insulting because even she was uncomfortable with it. Well moving past that. The back was wayyyy to dark. You can't see much of anything. Also the group sitting in the middle were so loud that I had to ask the waiter to repeat what he was saying quite a few times. The first drink I had was ok not the greatest but ok, so I tried the grog what a mistake. It was so spiced that it gave me instant heartburn the moment it hit my stomach. Now I have had spiced rum straight and that is nothing compared to the spice in that drink. Next the food. My food was ok it tasted off but I think that has to do with it being so dark. You have to see what your eating for it to taste right. My gf's salad tasted awful. To say the least the experience was bad.

• Visited July 2013
32 Thank Justin L

“avoid at all cost”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've only been there once, and that was more than enough. Some friends came into town for a birthday. We ate somewhere nearby, but went to piratz for a drink. At first we didn't know if it was open, since no one was sitting near the entrance. We were finally greeted and sat outside. One of my friends ordered the grog, and for a guy who can handle his liquor, this drink kicked his but after one glass.

Wouldn't recommend this for families, or couples, but only for college kids looking to get wasted.

I live in Silver Spring, and after watching Bar Rescue, I walk past it to see if it's still open, which to my surprise still is.

• Visited August 2012
31 Thank Brit2380
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Hard to carry this theme through”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Server brought the wrong food twice. The Korean beef was tasty, but the calamari was lackluster. Very eager to talk down their experience on TV -- hey, I didn't bring it up, so that might just mean I don't really care. Won't be going back, unless it's to see the fire eater perform or something.

• Visited June 2013
18 Thank Noisydaddy
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Our first visit was barely average, and it went downhill from there”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went shortly after they opened, because we loved the pirate theme, and wanted to check out a really local place. There were about 10 of us for happy hour. We sat at the long table at the bar, and had a good time. The food was tolerable (hey its bar food at happy hour) and the atmosphere was great. Another party joined us at the long table, and we had a good time.

That being said, it tanked from there. Our second visit, we invited friends from the city on a Friday night. Not only was it deserted, there was no music, and a grumpy bartender. We went across the street. We figured, OK, I guess if we come here again, we have to bring the party.

We saw that the place was on Bar Rescue. "The Corporate Bar??" Not my scene, and probably wouldn't have gone there. But, they could have taken some of his suggestions, and ran with them. I think that the change was way too divergent with the owners concepts, and there could have been a more middle ground. I loved the beer tap on the tables, and service bar in the restaurant idea. Why???

Take three. We were in SS for a concert, and decided to give it a last try. It was a few months after the show, so we figured that the "mad rush" would have slowed down a bit. Again, we brought out of town friends, and were hoping for a good time. There were about 30 people in the bar area. We ordered our drinks and waited. The same waitress came back ten minutes later and we ordered our drinks AGAIN. 15 min after that she apologized and said they would be right up. 10 minutes after that I had to chase her down to cancel my order. Not cool.

• Visited February 2013
20 Thank gchip
Silver Spring, Maryland
“Meh”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

What can you say about the Piratz Tavern, except that Silver Spring is changing and this relic is probably past its prime. Go here once, get a beer outside (laugh to yourself and wonder why there are people in pirate costumes), then go across the street to Quarry House or down a few blocks to Sidecar for the rest of the night. The outside space, though, is a plus compared to what can become a crowded and therefore sticky Quarry House.

Visited June 2012