“Hot breakfast items cold 5 out of 5 mornings” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hampton Inn Silver Spring

Hampton Inn Silver Spring
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Naperville, United States
“Hot breakfast items cold 5 out of 5 mornings”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Title says it all. Not the worst Hampton I have stayed in, clearly no where near the best. The hotel is hard to find, because the signage is so small, in fact in traffic you can't see it. The need to charge for parking makes it feel like they are trying to lower their price point and get you with the added valet parking fee.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Alana S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We apologize for not meeting your expectations and will make the necessary adjustments to improve our service. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit. Alana Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Bridgeport, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Really loved the location of the hotel. The breakfast was also great. If I am in the D.C. area in the near future I would definitely consider staying her at the Hampton Inn again. I would also reccomend this hotel in the near future to family and friends. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. The one and only thing that I was really hoping for was a refrigerator in the room.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent say with us and we look forward to yiour next visit. Alana Smith
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

I'm a Hilton Honors member and there were several Hilton properties in the immediate area from which to choose, including one that SHARES the building (this also happened in Shady Grove/Gaithersburg, is it a Hilton trend?)--but this one had the highest ratings from TripAdvisor.

Very satisfied with my choice. The building was recent enough for my standards. In general, it was just like most of the Hampton Inns I've stayed at--the usual breakfast spread. Room virtually identical to other Hampton Inns, same amenities: extra electrical outlets by the bed; free wi-fi; ear plugs; same soaps, towels, etc. There were several elevators in the lobby, as opposed to just one at most of the Hampton Inns I've stayed in, so that was a nice touch.

The one rather strange element was the noise that came from the room next door. When my neighbors first checked in there was a great deal of slamming of drawers and cabinets--turns out it was a group of (female) middle school soccer players who were being unnecessarily loud while they unpacked. Fortunately I didn't hear a peep from them for the rest of the trip, but I can imagine that really noisy neighbors would have been a problem.

The single stand-out feature of this particular Hampton Inn was the valet, the first face one sees on arrival. He explained that street and lot parking would be free throughout the weekend in the area, and recommended that I self-park rather than paying for valet. He offered to watch the car while I checked in and settled down, before I moved it. He then stopped traffic so that I could safely pull onto the busy 4-lane road, where I found a "free" parking spot less than 150 feet from the hotel entrance. So sweet and helpful.

• 4 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. Alana Smith
Frisco, Texas, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

First off - this is not just a Hampton Inn - the same building is also occupied by Homewood Suites, so some of the room in the common areas - especially the breakfast area is cramped. This hotel wasn't what I expected when I booked a Hampton Inn - dated, not real clean and frankly just not that comfortable. First off - lets start with your arrival. The area to pull in to unload is very congested and there is no parking - you have to pay to park your vehicle in the garage next door - which the valet tacs on to your room bill. The front desk staff was very nice and the lobby seemed nice. Then you go to your room - like many of the other reviews - odd shaped rooms, dated, didn't seem that clean. Get up in the morning and go to breakfast - packed - standing room only because the room is so small and packed with tables and the staff has a hard time keeping the food stocked. The biggest thing though was the complete lack of trash receptacles and the two that they had were filthy and hadn't been wiped down ever. Then when you go to check out and you call for your car to be brought back from the garage, by the time you get down to the lobby your car still isn't there because the loading unloading area is packed with cars and there is nowhere to put yours - we ended up waiting over 30 minutes for our car after we arrived in the lobby. Sorry, but I really don't have any positives about this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. Please accejpt our apology for not meeting your expectations. We hope that should you visiti the area again int he future, you will give us the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I booked this hotel because most of the hotels closer to downtown DC were booked for the night. I thought I was playing it safe by staying in a Hampton Inn but I was wrong. There were some positives to this place but the negatives were enough that I probably would prefer not ot go back.
first the positive.
1. the closet was hidden behind a full length mirror which was kind of cool.
2. the lobby was clean and looked pretty new as did the lounge area.
3. the staff tries very hard to be nice and accommodating.

now the negative
1. the hallways and the elevators were really out of date but also were not well kept or clean.
2. the bedding did not appear clean it had an old dingy look
3. the bathroom floor had hair all over it. It was there when I checked in so I know it was not mine.
4. the hotel is really not as close to the attractions as they would like you to believe. For a family it can get expensive to take metro back and forth.
5. the complimentary coffee and hot water that is available all day was cold and some of the options were empty, for hours.
6. the staff touches the food with their bare hands (I observed one of the front desk staff stick her hand in the tray of cookies rather than use the tongs provided and pick through until she found one she liked)
7. the furniture and room set up is awkward. things are placed where they don't make sense.
8. the coffee maker and ice bucket are on a low shelf in the bathroom a few inches from the toilet. weird and gross is you ask me.
9. the carpet appears old and really worn.

The only way I would probably return to this hotel is if there was a major renovation

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you for your comments on your stay at our facility. We apologize for not meeting your expectations. We will be rennovating our facility in 2014 and hope that when you visit our area again, you will give us the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations.
Rogers, Arkansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights- out original plans were to stay in Arlington, but the promo we got (buy 2 nights, get one free) made us change our mind. We wish we hadn't. Silver spring was not close to where we spent our time (Georgetown, Arlington, Alexandria). I dreaded being on the metro for 30 min every night to get back to the hotel and then walk 15 minutes to the hotel. I know I can't fault the hotel for the location so here are other reasons why I only rated it two stars:
I didn't like the hot breakfast items except for the oatmeal. The eggs were cut in cubes. Unnatural!
Our room wasn't clean. We found hairs on our bed.
The wifi was shoddy.
There was a lifeguard at the empty pool every time we went down there. It made us feel awkward.
There was too much furniture in each room. It gave the room a cramped feel.
The bathroom was small and there was a little mold in the tub.
In the future, my husband and I would definitely have spent more money to stay in Arlington or Alexandria. However, if your destination is silver spring, this hotel might be ok!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our property. Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectations. Should you visit the area in the future we hope you will give us the opportunity to meet and exceed your expectations. Alana Smith
Katy, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Husband & I stay in Hampton Inns frequently on short trips, and this hotel was not at all what we've come to expect. Very odd shaped King Size room had a sofa and chair shoved into an alcove about 6 feet wide ... both facing a blank wall. We dragged and angled them so that we could see the tv from an odd angle, but for most the part the sitting area was just not useful. Housekeeping did not replenish the coffee (2 days out of 4) or provide a complete set of towels for 2 people (2 out of 4 days) so we figured out pretty quickly that we needed to check the room and call the front desk for any missing items before we went to bed. The room also was not equipped with an alarm clock, which was a listed amenity. Even though we use the alarm on our cell phones, it's nice to be able to check the time at a glance, especially if you wake up in the middle of the night. We were not told when we booked the room that there is no on-site parking, and that the $15/day valet charge was not included in the room rate. Not a huge deal and we ever had to wait more than a couple of minutes for our car. It would have been nice to know ahead of time though.

• 2 of 5 stars
Alana S, General Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept our apology for the lack of service you received during your stay with us. We have forwarded your comments to the departments involved for correction. Again our apologies and we hope that you will provide us with another opportunity to meet your expections. Alana Smith