“Expected Better”

Hampton Inn Silver Spring
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
Reviewed May 19, 2012

This wasn't a bad stay, but I thought it would be better. The phone didn't work in my room, or in my colleague's room. My TV didn't work. When I called down to the front desk to tell them, I was told to pull the dresser out and reach in behind it to check the plug. Decor was nice, but I expected more from the Hampton.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank YourNextGuest
Rebecca K, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and recent review of the Hampton Inn Silver Spring Hotel. We are delighted you had the opportunity to visit Silver Spring and stay at our hotel. We appreciate your candid review and will share your feedback with the managing team to ensure all electronics are fully functioning for future guests of the hotel. If you travel to the greater-Washington DC area again, we’d appreciate another opportunity to have you stay with our hotel. Thank you again for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay.

There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Silver Spring

Reviewed May 12, 2012

We picked Hampton Inn Silver Spring for its price and its convenience to the Washington Metro. We used the valet parking, and the shuttle service, and found both to be prompt, and the valet personnel to be friendly and helpful, as were the front desk and lobby personnel. The complimentary breakfast was OK but mostly unremarkable, although it offered plenty of choices, nothing stale. The room was standard Hampton Inn, with comfortable beds and sufficient space to set up laptops, etc. The hot water in our room was slow in coming but plenty hot when it finally arrived after 3 or 4 minutes. We were not bothered by noise from outside the room or from the street. The location of this hotel is downtown, within easy walking distance of restaurants and the Metrorail station. Nevertheless we used the hotel shuttle to/from the Metro, calling a few minutes ahead while enroute to request pick-up at the Rite-Aid parking lot adjacent to the Silver Spring Metro station. While checking out, the hotel manager appeared and inquired about our experience -- the first time we've ever encountered that in a large hotel. We were able to tell him that his staff had been very friendly, patient, and helpful -- which, by the way, are attributes that we try to encourage by being friendly, patient and appreciative ourselves.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Larry H
Rebecca K, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Thank you Larry H for your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Silver Spring hotel. We appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel to help other travelers when deciding on Silver Spring hotels. We hear often from our guests about the convenience our location offers to downtown Silver Spring and with Washington DC quickly accessible via the Metro. We are happy to hear that you were able to take in all that the area has to offer. We are currently participating with the Hilton HHonors Double your HHonors promotion so if travel brings you back to the area by June 30th, be sure to enroll to maximize your HHonors rewards. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to the downtown Silver Spring area – let us know if we can assist in any way.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

I arrived after 10pm and was gone by 10am, so I don't have much to report. The room, despite its large size, did not block noise from the hallways. Like other reviewers have said, there were plenty of teenagers who have not yet learned appropriate hotel behavior. I did sleep through the night, mostly, but used my typical earplugs.

The room really was gigantic!

I found the front desk staff to be quite friendly and cheerful, as were the valet. It did take awhile to get my car, but I didn't call down in advance. I had no issues with my vehicle or the possessions I left behind.

I think I would stay here again, but I have no info on the breakfast, or the surrounding area. It is hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank solowomantraveler
Rebecca K, Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your stay with us here at the Hampton Inn - Silver Spring, MD. We are glad you found our rooms very spacious. It is excellent to hear you experienced great customer service from our various hotel employees. We hope you will be visiting us again soon!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I have stayed at this Hampton Inn many times since its opening and do appreciate the price value that it brought to downtown Silver Spring hotels. That said, this hotel is very much in danger of falling into the same black hole that befell its sister property across the street, the former Hilton, now Doubletree, where I have elected not to stay again.

The Hampton Inn facilities are OK. Generally clean rooms, working TV with some HD channels, good high speed internet, A/C, and comfortable beds. The problem is service, and it seems to get worse each visit. There is no on-site parking, and guests must use the problematic valet service. The first morning of my stay, I called for my car at 8:00 AM and when I arrived at the front door at 8:20, Alisha, who was attending the valet stand, said that my car must be on its way. 10 minutes later, which was 30 minutes after I called for my car, she admitted that no one had gone yet to retrieve my car and it was another 15 minutes – 45 total – before I had my car. This made me late to my first meeting of the morning.

At the front desk the same morning, I also told the clerk that my shower head was malfunctioning, spraying water all over the ceiling and outside the shower/tub. That night, when I returned to my room, I found that no one had addressed the problem and it took more than 45 minutes (and another call to the Front Desk) for Maintenance to tend to the problem after I reported it again.

The breakfast is standard Hampton Inn fare. There are numerous restaurants located within a 10 minute walk of the hotel, which is a plus.

I would stay here again for the rate and location; it’s cheaper than the nicer nearby Marriott Courtyard, and the same price as the Hilton Garden Inn located seven or so miles north. That said, don’t count on attentive service – service training and follow-up seem to be lacking at this hotel.

Room Tip: Some of the king bedded rooms are not much bigger than a closet; be sure to check the room before st...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Louis59

Thank you so very much for taking the time to submit a review regarding your stay with us at the Hampton Inn hotel - Silver Spring, MD. We value your feedback and your comments. We have shared your feedback regarding our hotel’s front desk. We are glad your overall experience was enjoyable and that you feel we offer a good value when staying in the Silver Spring area. When travel has you searching for Silver Spring hotels, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to the Hampton Inn again in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here for the first time, for 3 nights in March, and found it too be very clean, quiet, and very close to the Downtown Silver Spring shops and restaurants. It is just a few blocks walk to the Metro so getting to downtown Washington DC is quick and easy.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Carolina_Clancey
Reviewed April 12, 2012

they rent rooms to teenagers every weekend (as per hotel manager) very noisy, valet takes forever, small pool (6+ people is over-crowded), not that great of a breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy B
hamptonssgm, General Manager at Hampton Inn Silver Spring, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review regarding your stay at the Hampton Inn hotel in Silver Spring, MD. We value your feedback and appreciate your comments to help us improve our service offerings for our hotel guests. Depending on various events in Silver Spring or DC, at times we do provide accommodations for tour groups. Our hotel policy is to allow only registered guests over the age of 21. We hope when travel brings you to the greater Washington DC area, you’ll consider staying with us again in the future as Hilton HHonors is offering free Double Points or Double Miles at our hotel through June 2012. Register online.

Reviewed April 8, 2012

A typical Hampton high-rise within a 10 minute walk of the DC metro. A good option for those visiting DC without paying a high price. Valet parking is all that is offered and the cost is $12 per day. Since we were staying during Easter week, the hotel was overrun with hordes of school kids who decimated the breakfast buffet each day and took over the lobby when they were checking in/out. The poor person handling the buffet needed help to deal with literally 50-60 kids all trying to get breakfast at the same time. We found that getting up earlier and earlier for breakfast (before 7am) was the way to beat the crowd. Accommodations were fine, but the maid service missed a few things -- like replacing towels and bath mats, and leaving extra shampoo. The staff were all very nice, especially the guys running the valet parking. They were the best. Lots of restaurants within walking distance, as well as a movie theater and drugstore.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marblehead750

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review for the Hampton Inn Silver Spring Hotel. We value your feedback as a guest and have shared your comments with various teams here at the hotel. At times we do provide accommodations for tour groups visiting the greater Washington, DC area and it seems you visited when a group was in-house. We have shared your feedback regarding our hotel’s free breakfast and comments regarding housekeeping and valet. I’m happy to hear you were able to take in some of Silver Spring’s Restaurants and possibly other nearby venues such as American Film Institute, The Fillmore Silver Spring and the shops of Downtown Silver Spring. When travel has you searching for Silver Spring hotels, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you to the Hampton Inn Silver Spring hotel again in the future.

Dan Jasinski