“Not as advertised” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Silver Spring
New York City, New York
“Not as advertised”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

We are in town visiting family and since we are traveling with a 1-year-old, wanted a suite so that we could put her to bed early. I booked via the website and chose a premium one - bedroom suite with king bed instead of the studio suite, so that we would have a separate bedroom. I called the hotel a few days before arrival to request a pack and play for the baby, so they had my reservation on file at that point.

When we arrived, they could not find my reservation until I gave the confirmation number. They said that there had recently been changes to the website that was causing problems with reservations. One of these changes, apparently, was the promise of one-bedroom suites, which this hotel does NOT have. They only have studios, which are basic hotel rooms with a galley kitchen. They call them suites but I can't imagine why. There were clearly a number of groups in the lobby having the same problem.

Additionally, since they couldn't find our reservation, they gave us the only room left, which has a queen bed instead of a king. It also has a shower but no bathtub, which is inconvenient for bathing a child.

Finally, we were disappointed to learn that the pool does not open until 10 am (which is not stated on the website) as we had planned to start the next morning with a swim.

The front desk staff was very nice but that does not make up for the fact that we did not get the room we booked. This is not a good option for family groups and I would not return.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank EyesOnTheHorizon
Alana S, General Manager at Homewood Suites Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Please accept our apology for the inconvenience during your stay with us. I would like to discuss this further with you and would appreciate it if you would contact me at your convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

I had the displeasure of staying at this hotel the other weekend. When I arrived to the hotel, the line of cars to get into the driveway was backed up into the street, causing ridiculous traffic. There were two randomly parked cars and an enormous dumpster blocking the driveway. When we finally did get into the driveway, the valet guy told us we could have free parking in the parking garage next door. So we drove around trying to get into the parking garage for 15 minutes, among the awful traffic caused by this hotel's poor design. When we got in the parking garage, it was only the lower level available for parking and it was full. So we decided to park on the street and carry our luggage inside.
I am 18, and was using my mothers hilton honor points. She had called ahead of time to make sure everything was in order and that I would be able to check in smoothly, even though I was 18. It shouldn't have been a problem since on their website it said you must be at least 18 to check in. She called anyways, and they assured us I would be able to check in after driving two hours to my destination. However, when I arrived, that was not the case. There were three women at the front desk and I was directed to talk to this one older lady who was helping another customer. When I finally talked to her, she was extremely rude and told me I couldn't check in because I was 18. I tried to explain the situation but she continued to not listen to me and raise her voice and roll her eyes. I left after about thirty minutes of pointless arguing and being yelled at like I was a child, when I was being nothing but respectful and polite. I had my mother call and eventually had everything straightened out, but they required my mom to drive two hours up to Maryland to check me in. I have never been to a hotel so unaccommodating and rude in my entire life. Even after I checked in successfully, the staff continued to give my friends and I dirty looks and made rude comments. When we finally checked in, they told us they had no more suites available, which is what we had reserved. They put us in a small room with a pullout couch instead, but we did not complain. They then put guards on our floor to watch us. The air conditioning was broken and they only gave us two towels and acted like it was the biggest deal in the world when we asked for more. I've never been so extremely disrespected by a staff before. I could understand if we were being disruptive or loud or rude teenagers, but we were the exact opposite. There was no reason for the way the employees treated my friends and I. I will never, ever be going back to a homewood suites. Not only were the employees extremely rude, the hotel itself was cramped and small. There was barely any room to walk in the rooms or the hotel lobby itself. All in all, my stay was not enjoyable whatsoever and I will never be returning. I advise other potential customers to stay away from this hotel, and instead go to one of the other many hotels around the area. There's no parking, no respect, no room, and overall a terrible experience. On top of that, the charged us for the room when they told us it would be free. So now we have to call and have them argue with us again. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Juliannepatrice
Please accept our apology for the inconvenience during your stay with us. I would like to discuss this with you further and would like to hear from you at your convenience.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I've stayed here multiple times and things seem to be going downhill. The breakfast/manager's reception have decreased in quality/quantity. The hotel shares space with Hampton Inn and that is the same breakfast they have there...just in a different room. I've always enjoyed the extra space in the room and I was happy that I could choose my room a day in advance with my honors card. I knew enough to not be on the main street.

The building is undergoing renovation so it will be nice to have fresh carpet/paint in all the rooms.

The bed seemed pretty soft which surprised me as normally they are firmer.

Housekeeping was irratic. One day I had all the washclothes I used taken away and not replaced. Another day I had an extra towel dropped off at 5pm.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank treinke
Alana S, General Manager at Homewood Suites Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
We apologize for not meeting your expectations on your recent stay at our hotel. We have addressed the issues you brought to our attention and feel confident that you will see an improvement on your next visit. Thank you for allowing us to be your host .
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

Have been a loyal customer of this particular hotel for several years, and usually stay at Homewood Suites whenever I travel. This hotel is in slow decline. I agree that the front desk does not take any responsibility for anything - this is true for all the different front desk staff I have interacted with. During my last stay, I had 3 problems - each one not handled correctly - door lock didn't key correctly even after multiple keys made by desk, a roach discovered at midnite in the kitchen part of room, which I washed down the drain twice (since it crawled back up) and then tried to securely cover the sink drain, and after I checked out in a hurry I left something in room. Front desk could not check lost and found after 5PM, I had to call housekeeping the next day - told them what room, what lost item, and where it was. They were to call me back in 15 minutes and 1 week later I still have no call back.
Location is great but pulling up in a car to unload luggage was especially challenging as rotunda already had many cars w same problem so there was nowhere to briefly leave car.
Ive been loyal to THIS hotel for many years, but its is definitely time to go to the Residence Inn in Silver Spring.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank neverstoptraveling
We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. We are addressing the issues you brought to our attention and hope you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I booked this hotel for a business trip and cancelled a nicer hotel to be in the same hotel as co-workers. When I arrived, I was informed they were sold out and they had placed me at the attached Hampton Inn. I was not notified via email or phone of this change in my guaranteed reservation. The situation wouldn't have upset me so much had I not arrived with groceries expecting to have a Homewood Suites room with mini kitchn. Instead I was gvien a regular Hampton Inn room without a refrigerator and a very insincere "sorry." I asked to speak with management at the hotel and was told to call the 1-800 number. Thank goodness for their strong customer service skills at the corporate office. I explained the situation and the frustrations I was experiencing. The corporate Hilton customer service contacted the hotel and had them comp the hotel and provide me a refridgerator for the groceries a I purchased. I am just disappointed in the brand at this point, I shouldn't have even had to call corporate. Homewood Suites should have anticipated that changing my reservation without my consent was unacceptable and should have had some form of compensaton plan in place. It was very evident the front desk staff did not care I was inconvenienced. I must say as a positive- the valet staff here is amazing but I will NEVER book this hotel again. Local hotel management took no initiative at customer service recovery. I travel for business frequently and covering the hotel room cost helps my company but does nothting for m. I have been inconvenienced, stressed at the end of a long business day. I will be taking my business to any of the several hotel chains in the area for my future travels to the DC area and reporting this situation to my company. As a business traveller I already experience enough inconvienieces and I would hate for others of my company to be subject to this unncessary stress in the future. Shame on Homewood Inn and Suites: you must work on customer service. I understand things happen but the delivery of changes is key as to how the consumer will proceive them. If I sense the front desk does't really care, I equate that with Hilton doesn't really care and in this case that was not the case. Hilton did indeed care and worked promptly to make the situation a little better. The local staff did NOTHING! A simple advance phone call to explain the situation would have avoided the ill feelings I now have towards this lcoation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Tara M
Alana S, Manager at Homewood Suites Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
It was a pleasure speaking with you and again I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your visit with us. I hope we resolved the issues to your satisfaction and that you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations. If I can be of any assistance with future reservations, please contact me.
virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Hotel was clean, staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast is hot and decent- afternoon reception was nice. Rooms were clean and comfy. Great location for walking to offices, restaurants and the metro. Furnishing were up-dated. Wifi provided throughout the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

2 Thank wetlandfan
Alana S, Manager at Homewood Suites Silver Spring, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. It was a pleasure being your host and we look forward to your next visit.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

This used to be one of the better, if not best, Hilton property options in Silver Spring. On my most recent stay however I found the property had fallen a bit from its previous high standards. Check-in reception was perhaps the frostiest this HHonors Diamond guest has ever experienced, and no longer occurs in a dedicated Homewood part of the property (Homewood and Hampton now share a single reception area). In the room, the bathroom drain plug was broken, the toilet seat cover was misaligned, and the ironing board was unsteady and pieces of the iron itself kept falling off. The hallway carpet was stained with bits of trash in many places. The breakfast spread remains quite good and the service there friendly. On my next visit to Silver Spring I will likely try the rebranded Doubletree across the street.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank dpb132
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We currently are under renovation and by April 1st, 2014 will have new corridor carpets, and wall vinyl. In addition our Homewood Lodge will also be transformed. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to meet your expectations and stay with us on your next visit to our area.