“Great food in a tiny place”
Review of Sushi Jin

Sushi Jin
Ranked #21 of 389 Restaurants in Silver Spring
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Looking for a place to eat in downtown SS, we remembered a recommendation for Sushi Jin, and are so glad we gave it a try. We're not big sushi fans, but the other entrees were just delicious. We had teriyaki, tempura, and a "hot bowl." The food was well seasoned, fresh and quite hot, which is just how we like it! Service was good, though our first waitress had to get someone else to explain the choices. Prices are reasonable, though not cheap, and the wonderful flavors, freshness and unique taste made it all worthwhile.

Reviewed August 21, 2011

Sushi Jin is perfect for lunch or every carryout for dinner. The food is cooked to perfection and is a great place to get good food and great prices quickly. The staff is helpful and willing to explain everything to you. I can't eat there as much as I would like to as I have developed some food allergies but I can still eat sushi and its really, really good.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

Sushi Jin is a small space in dowtown Silver Spring (it's next to Quizno's and you might miss it walking down the street).

I have been there several times and always enjoy the service and food. I don't think they can hold more than 40 people (including the bar area); it's not super fancy, but it's so nice when I go.

The staff is sweet and hot tea is usually free when you order sushi, but they are sometimes confused when I ask for sugar and a spoon. I like the spicy stuff and never have a complaint when I eat at Sushi Jin. I am usually prone to getting my usuals, but have easily convinced myself to order items off the special menu once I read what's in it. When I have my sushi itch, I have learned to locate sushi restaurants in the DC metropolitan area and this place will always be on my list. Stop by one evening or for lunch, but be aware they are closed from 330-5pm between lunch and dinner. Enjoy!

Reviewed January 1, 2011

As an Asian and a long-time (30+ years) consumer of quality sushi, I look for certain, simple pass/fail keys as soon as I walk in the door. What is the nationality of the sushi chef? How authentic does the traditional Japanese greeting sound? Does the menu indicate depth of cuisine?

The sushi chef was Korean aided by a Latino. The greeting had a Korean accent. The menu depth was average for most Japanese restaurants. Given the current trendiness in variations and size of rolls, or maki sushi, that seemed to be an emphasis here.

Atmosphere: mostly typical Japanese modern; booths on one side and sushi bar on the other

Food: mixed reviews here; the first warning sign was the type of tea served; it was a black tea rather than a Japanese green or toasted rice tea; tea is an essential beverage in Asian cuisines with each cuisine have a customary teas native to that country; the black tea was produced in a large 30 cup coffee-style urn seem often in Chinese restaurants; this is a cost-effective measure I have never seen in a Japanese restaurant; (2) to ascertain the freshness and variety of raw fish, I ordered the Chirashi because the fish quality can be easily masked in a roll with several ingredients and sauce though tasty that may be; the tuna and yellowtail were not high grade; clam, shrimp, and snapper were good; egg was poor execution of the classic layered omelet with only one layer though taste was acceptable; fresh and pickled veggies were good; the sushi rice was a somewhat cold rice texture and lacking some rice wine; the major warning sign was a nice, artistic, but sparse presentation in a modern, white, oval dish rather than the densely packed array of ingredients in a black laquered, rectangular box dish; sushi training is tradition-bound and even in the most avant-garde, creative sushi bars, there usually is no deviation from the traditional dish type; (3) my wife had a Hot Stone Bowl that was a nice and tasty variation of donburi or the Japanese bowl of rice and ingredients; the rice was a long grain common to most Asian cuisines and less expensive than short grain inherent to Japanese and Korean cuisines; this dish had good marks from both of us for the chicken, sauce, and egg though it was somewhat heavy on lettuce which is not a typical donburi ingredient

Service: efficient and pleasant

Value: prices are average to somewhat above average, value is poor given the overall execution; too many cost cutting measures detract from the food

3  Thank Oski_Bear_DC
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Some pretty impressive sushi creations... a bit avant-garde for my sushi-tastes, but still some nice simple tasty avocado rolls.