“Not Horrible”

El Aguila Restaurant
Ranked #269 of 450 Restaurants in Silver Spring
Reviewed December 16, 2017 via mobile

We had a Groupon and had never been to this place a block from our former home, so, after a fine late afternoon play we dropped in at El Aguila. We all were expecting a small place that would be a bit of a dive, so we were pleasantly surprised to find a large dining room with tablecloths, a 30ft. long bar and plenty of staff waiting to serve. We were nearly the only customers there at first (5:45pm), so things were quiet in spite of the PA-system Mexican music.

At first, things seemed off to a fine start. Our waiter took our orders promptly and served drinks quickly. But as we settled in: an alarm on the rear door kept blaring away, and after the second attempt of staff to silence it failed, we had to switch tables. The chairs everywhere had ripped and torn seat covers. Around 6pm, a guy came in to set up for his live music performance (every Sat night from 6-9pm).

My wife got a pork ribs fajita (dry on the outside but perfectly okay inside). I got pork tacos: WAY too salty for me. Our friend got a cheese & chicken dish of some sort that she could only get half through. Our waiter's English wasn't up to understanding that our friend wanted an order to go for her spouse, so it ended up being delivered first and we had to ask for it to be taken back. The Modelo beer I ordered wasn't available, so I had to switch to a Corona. Once the music man began actually singing, in a combination of crooning Mexican/Spanish and LoungeClub-lizard English songs, we skedaddled as quickly as possible. It was an experiment....okay, but not to be repeated. Apparently due to its size, this place is often used for political fund-raisers.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed April 15, 2017

I love this honest food. we ordered a platter for 4 people but it served 6 of us and we also took some home. my vegetarian friends were getting great plantains and salads. others ordered cevichi and we all shared and loved that.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed October 4, 2016

Never again, I order Paella for 2, it supposed to have mussels, calamari, scallops, lobster, shrimp, it was only one very very small lobster and 6 shrimps and a lot of broccoli, and pounds of rice, I called the manager and waitress, she informed us the kitchen was running out of sea food, let me tell you something why they did inform us before....and they offer one free desert, are you kidding... This was a robbery of $42, before you order food in this disgusting restaurant make sure they have de ingredients for your plate,

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

Worse service ever. Food not much better.  Ambiance is lacking.  Upon entering, it looked like we were at a sweet 16 latino chick party. Not necessarily a bad thing but not what a restaurant is aupposed to look like. Napkins folded like a 5 star restaurant and salt shakers with solidsolid salt becasue there in no ac and only a couple construction fans from home depot...so, it was more humid inside than outside on a 93 degree day. BTW, restaurant 101 says add a few grains of rice to avoid clumping salt. Waitrwss took our order and evem though we were her only table, she didnt come back until we were finished eating. I asked her bith time for water which i never got but watched her fill a glass of water for herself and take it to the kitchen where she spent most her time. Another table came in to make it 2 and the waiter was on the spot for them ao i guess if the short latina is your waitress, ask for the man. We ordered chimichamgas. What we got was a grilled burrito. Totally different. It was good but dry. The house salsa is the worse ive ever had. Basically and truthfully i thought it was ketchup and water with onion.  Cos were good solo.  If i ordered a grilled burrito i would give it a 3 stars. But i ordered a chimichanga so i give it a1 star for inaccuracy.  To top it off my girlfriend insisted Tipping 20% after i was going to give the other waiter a dollar for bringing our food and our waitress  the coin change since she sucked

Date of visit: July 2016