“Not All Rams Head Taverns/Restaurants Are Equal - Big Disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ram's Head Tavern

Ram's Head Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Ram's Head Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Savage
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
edgewater, maryland
“Not All Rams Head Taverns/Restaurants Are Equal - Big Disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Whle visiting Savage Mill my husband and I decided to stop in The Rams Head Tavern located at the mill. I ordered a cup of Cream of Crab soup and Beer Battered Shrimp.
The soup was described on the menu as containing lump crab meat and being flavored with sherry. When the soup was set before me there were "slivers" of lump crab meat sprinkled on the TOP of the soup. The crab meat had never been cooked in the "cream soup" at all. The soup was barely warm. The crab meat was not fresh and it contained shell. There was no flavor to the soup at all. There was no hint of sherry or any spice. I could not even finish it all because it was so bland and the temperature was tepid.
My entree was the beer battered shrimp. It was warm and had a nice batter, but I would have liked it to be a bit more crispy - perhaps the golden fried mentioned on the menu? For shrimp dip I was served chipolte aioli. It tasted like melted velvetta with spice (maybe they should have put it in the cream of crab soup). I suggest you request cocktail sauce for dipping your shrimp. The cocktail sauce didn't have much taste to it (could have used some horseradish), but was 100 times better than the chipolte aioli sauce.
My husband had a Righteous Rueben. It had sat on the plate long enough before it was served that the bread was soggy, especially the bottom slice. My husband described it as "soggy and not flavorfull".
All in all - not the best of eating experiences.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank augazelle

Laurel, Maryland
“Excellent Brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

We enjoyed the Jazz Brunch this past Sunday.

Food Service was a bit slow, drink (coffee) refills were timely and the server was very polite about it.

Chorizo taco (flour tortillas, chorizo sausage, eggs, cheese) were AWESOME and plentiful. My spouse had the firehouse biscuits which were very good, also. We shared a single waffle - tasty as you would expect from a waffle but nothing out of this world.

There was a problem with our bill that the server corrected right away.

Lastly, when we entered the restaurant we were seated on the main level, not many patrons here and not jazz music. The manager must have overheard us talking about the jazz brunch and asked if we would like to move upstairs to where the jazz band was.

All in all it was a very nice brunch - we will return.

• Visited June 2013
Maryland
“Excellent Beer Selection, Mediocre Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

This is definitely the best place in the Laurel/Savage area to get a beer. With a worldwide selection of bottled beers and rotating drafts, there is always something new to try at Ram's Head. There is outdoor seating on the patio which is great for enjoying a summer day. I've also enjoyed their free food offerings during Happy Hour.

The downside to Ram's Head Tavern is the mediocre food. While there is an okay selection of food on the menu, it just isn't all the grand. However, the great beer and location offsets the okay food.

• Visited May 2013
Sykesville, MD
“The only place to eat isn't so bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

When you visit historic Savage Mill, Maryland really the only place to have a decent sit-down meal on the premises is the Ram's Head Tavern. And that's not so bad. We have had a late lunch there several times and came away generally OK with it. Last time I had some Old Bay chicken wings and they were pretty good. They were large wings and unfortunately several of them were undercooked. However, since there were 12, that was OK. My wife had a bowl of Cream of Crab soup and was pleased with it. Not the best she has ever had, but better than average. Prices are about average also, but the service is very good. All three times we have been there the food was good and the service very good. However, the restaurant was almost void of patrons so this may have had something to do with the fine service. If you are at Savage Mill, the Ram's Head is worth a visit.

• Visited May 2013
“Wolf dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

Me and my three friends decided to stop in for a late lunch. We headed towards the back and were greeted by an adorable little hostress. She sat us on the patio in the back which over looked a river, which was lovely. Our waiter, Tara, served us right away and helped us decide on an appetizer. We had nachos to share and ordered burgers. It was so amazing I wanted to eat all day. Our waiter made us feel at home and was very friendly. We left her a good tip and we will be back soon !

• Visited April 2013