“Management problems w/lines & rigidity on tiem”

The Adventure Park at Sandy Spring
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The largest Adventure Park in North America. Challenge Yourself! 187 Platforms high in The Trees, covering 5 acres, interconnected by zip lines, ropes, obstacles, challenges and fun! 13 Separate courses, 6 difficulty levels, from beginner to insane. Unlimited climbing for 3 hours. Ages 5 - 84 (so far!) Advanced group reservations welcome 7 days a week.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Takoma Park, Maryland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Management problems w/lines & rigidity on tiem”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The staff was friendly and the resource is quite nifty. But two problems warrant this poor review, with my hope being that things improve.

1) There is no procedure for dealing with backups on the courses. You can't get off a course once you start it, and there can be VERY slow people ahead of you. But there's no expectation that such slow people will let faster people "move through," as there can be with things like weigh machine circuits or golf.

Doing so would be simple courtesy, but people are a lot more likely to be courteous if it's suggested in the opening orientation.

2) Even on a day with long lines, staff were very rigid about closing down courses at the proscribed times. They start closing down the hardest courses long before the overall close of the park. It took more than two hours for my 16-year-old,athletic son to get through the two opening courses that must be done before doing the hardest courses -- most of that time being spent waiting for others ahead of him to go. It was 3:05 pm, just five minutes past the closing down of entry to the hardest courses, but staff was a in highly bureaucratic mode and refused to let him start.

Rules are rules when involving safety and need to be followed. But this wasn't safety -- this was just rote behavior without grasping the realities of a busy day..

So our advice to potential users would to be find a time when you hope it's not too busy. And if you want to get to the harder courses, give yourself a lot of time.

Visited November 2012
6 Thank Rob R

Clarksville, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great place for the family!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I took my 10 year old daughter to the adventure park in sandy spring and we loved it! When we got there we could immediately sign the waivers and get our harnesses on. The staff is very friendly and are always willing to help. I watched my daughter do the purple courses (easy for young kids) and she zoomed through it. Then we did the yellow courses (second easiest) and they were great for my daughter. After that we did two of the green courses (intermediate). These were more difficult for my daughter but she still had fun on them. I liked how there were two carabiners and one was always locked while you could clip and unclip the other. This made it safer for the climbers. I especially like the variety of the courses and how family oriented it is. The only con would be that when it is crowded you can never take your time at a course. Other then that it is a great place to go!

Visited October 2012
Walnutport, Pennsylvania
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fun and challenging”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I went with my ten year old nephew (who'd been here once before for a birthday party) and seven year old niece today. We had a great time! A wide range of challenges for each of us. Very safety oriented, and supportive staff.

Visited November 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

What a great day to spend 3 hrs. I have been to 2 other similar parks and this has to be the most "technical" of them all. You don't have to be a gym rat to have fun (just make sure you stay on the easy courses). Those who want to (and are able to) take it up a notch, there are more advance courses that will keep you occupied. The staff is friendly/helpful. If this is your first time, don't hesitate to ask their opinion on which, of the multiple courses, to choose.

Visited September 2012
College Park, Maryland
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“An awesome way to spend your day!”
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

I have been to the Adventure Park a few times now. The staff is very friendly and thorough in the instructions. They have so many different courses that vary in difficulty. They now have kids courses too that are a little easier and less complicated. You and your family will love it.