“When it's Good, it's Very, Very Good but when it's Bad it's Awful” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn Salisbury

Hampton Inn Salisbury
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Salisbury
Pasadena, Maryland
“When it's Good, it's Very, Very Good but when it's Bad it's Awful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I am torn as to how I should review the Hampton Inn Salisbury. July 18 - 22 and our experience during our stay and our experience with hotel management afterward were complete opposites.

First, the good... Our room was spacious and clean and the air conditioning worked wonderfully despite the 100 degree temperatures outside that week. The breakfast included in the price of the room was delicious with a different hot food each day and an assortment off cereals, muffins and pastries and really good coffee (can't ever underestimate the importance of a good cup of coffee!) Also, the front desk staff was very friendly despite the almost constant influx of travelers in the lobby.

Now, for the bad... When we reserved a room, we made two separate reservations: one for July 18 - 22 and one for July 23. This is because we were in town for the USSSA Softball World Series and we knew we wouldn't need a room for July 23 if the team my husband coaches and my daughter plays for didn't advance that far in the tournament.

Unfortunately, the team was eliminated so I followed the instructions in the reservation confirmation e mail we received when we made our reservation and called the hotel by 6:00 pm to cancel. The young lady on the phone said she could cancel the reservation but that we would be charged for the night. I told her that I had called prior to 6:00 so I should not be charged for the night and she replied that for that week the hotel required 24 hour cancellation notice.

Now, I was somewhat upset because, hey, $120 is $120! But I knew that there would be nothing to be gained by arguing with her about it. It certainly wasn't her fault and besides, what kind of jerk is going to fight with a perfectly nice young lady who was no doubt only doing what she was told to do by her higher-ups?

Since the reservation was on my husband's credit card, he's the one who had to do all the legwork to try to get our refund. The manager at the Salisbury Hampton Inn was adament that we would not receive a refund. Then my husband called the corporate headquarters (Hilton headquarters actually, as the Hampton Inn is part of Hilton) and was told they couldn't do anything because the Salisbury location is privately owned or something like that. The person my husband spoke to at corporate did offer to get in touch with the Salisbury General Manager and tell him/her to contact my husband.

He was never contacted so he wrote an e mail to his contact at Corporate explaining that if the credit card was not credited the $120 by the next day, we were owed he would write the Salisbury Chamber of Commerce, USSSA (which sponsors the world series) and his fellow softball coaches detailing what basically amounted to Hampton Inn Salisbury price gouging.

When I see it written down like that, it seems like overkill but it was frustrating to keep getting the runaround and it is ridiculous that a matter that could have been easily resolved required so much attention.

In the end, we did get the refund we were owed. I'm torn about staying there next year, though. But like I said, the stay itself was wonderful so I guess I can recommend it.

Just be sure to hold onto any paperwork!

Room Tip: The door on room 206 does not latch unless you pull really hard on it so be careful when you leave o...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Tracy A
Tom F, General Manager at Hampton Inn Salisbury, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I want to apologize for the issue you had regarding the refund. The system used for the softball tournament that week was something new and all transactions had to be done via the website provided. No fault of your own, there was a communication error somewhere from the Corporate office to the hotel as a response was never brought to my attention. I am glad that the issue was finally resolved though the process was more of a hadache than should've been. On a different note, I am glad the remainder of your stay was enjoyable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

Clean new property at the lowest rates I have seen at a Hilton chain. Awesome pool area w/ a hot tub and pool tables. Very quiet w/ plenty of place to eat around. Not much else the the area to do, but great place to stay on business or just passing through.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We do our best to meet all our customers satisfaction. Please remember us on your next visit to Salisbury. I will pass the information along to our team.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Just wanted to say that this hotel has great customer service. It's your average Hampton Inn, nice for the price. Breakfast was great...lots of variety and ladies working to keep everything full did a great job!
Customer service aspect:
We had a little problem with our room when we found something a little gross on the floor. We called the front desk to let them know and the front desk worker (unsure of name, but he was the guy working at night...we had checked in like past 1 am and called front desk at past 2am) was great. He immediately apologized and said the room would be completely comped and if we wanted to move, there was only a smoking room available. We didn't move rooms because we don't smoke and hate the smell of it. However, the hotel worker was ver apologetic and nice and I appreciated getting the room free without even asking for it. That was great customer service. It was unexpected and appreciated.

• Stayed July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tom F, General Manager at Hampton Inn Salisbury, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize for the condition your room was in upon your arrival and I am glad you that the front desk team member handled your situation to your satisfaction. Thank you for thinking of us again on your next visit
Muncy, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

When I go visit friends in Berlin, MD and Salisbury, I always stay in a King Size bed w/ sofa room. The staff are absolutely wonderful and will help as much as possible. The breakfasts are outstanding..... The only problem was a fire drill issue which scared the crap out of me, but they have a 100 % satisfaction policy and comped me a room night. The room is always clean. I just love it for the staff because they are chatty and it's like having old friends to stay with.... The only other problem is the rate.... It's rather pricey, especially, for long stays. Overall Love Love. Lisa Cox

Room Tip: Go for the King Size bed w/ sofa room.....NICE!!!!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank efbulldog
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am glad you had a great stay despite the fact that we had a fire drill. We do have to perform these at least twice a year to ensure safety to all guests and team members. I am glad that they handled the situation for you. I will pass your kind words along to our team. i hope to see you on your next trip to our area.
VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

My husband & I and another couple stayed here on a weekend trip to Ocean City (because the hotels in Ocean City are way overpriced) & were very happy that we stayed here. Upon checking in, the front desk personnel were very friendly & helpful. Our room was a King with a couch & it was very spacious--including a small refrigerator. The room itself had some wear & tear, but nothing that would keep us from staying there -- and we're pretty picky about the rooms that we stay in. There was a Bob Evans in the next parking lot - we walked there our first night there to eat, and a Golden Corral on the other side of the Hampton in the next parking lot. There were other restaurants on the "strip" that were easily accessible, as well, and Ocean City was a short drive away. The breakfast was good, but while we were there, there was a boys sports team also staying there, so the breakfast room was quite crowded at times.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JEWELST1
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Salisbury, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a comment. We are in the process of renovating some of our rooms so maybe on your next trip to Salisbury, you will be able to see the new rooms. I will make sure I pass along to the staff your comments. We hope to see you again in the future.
Bronx, New York, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

This would be my second time going to the Hampton Inn in Salisbury, MD. The first time was pretty good. This time I went with my family and we are a big group. So we all split up into about 7 rooms. We needed extra pillows and the hotel said that they've ran out, I personally had to with a blanket as my pillow. One of the rooms smelled like urine. It was unbearable especially since there were 5 year old's sleeping in there as well. In addition to that, we found bugs in each of the rooms both dead and alive. We later went to the front desk to complain, but they were both rude and insensitive. They claimed that we were lying and tried to hurry the situation by simply moving us to another room. Ultimately this hotel has lost its touch. The front desk clerks are rude and as far as the hotel itself they need people to thoroughly clean it and keep it that way no matter what. I would not go to this hotel again because of its service and frankly its not up to par for ANYONE to sleep in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Richelle I
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I went with my family for a weekend in Ovean City so we got a couple of rooms at the Hampton in Salisbury, MD. One of the rooms smelt like old urine. We asked to get out rooms changed or cleaned and Ivanna, the front desk clerk, and the manager, Julie, were very rude and uncooperative. Ivanna was yelling at the top of her lungs to my aunt and because of her overly powered attitude she did not understand what my aunt was trying to say. THEN they suggested to give us a new room but we were told to take everything out of our room and leave it on a cart while we were at the beach and they cleaned the room smelling like urine ! Unacceptable !!! Then they wanted to have our belongings stored in another one of our family's hotel rooms. At this point everyone was frustrated and would not settle for less. Eventually we got new rooms but was definately a hassle and the customer service with Ivanna was disgusting !

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Krystallboo
Tom F, General Manager at Hampton Inn Salisbury, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Krystallboo:

Thank you for taking the time to review our facility. I am very sorry and embarrassed with the way you were treated. It is not our standard to treat any of our guests the way that you were treated. I most certainly will take care of the this situation. I am sorry that this ruined your time here at the beach. I hope you will consider giving us another chance.

Sincerely